10 replies to this topic

#1 Merkes

Merkes

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 08:45 PM

Hello ppl,

Well I have started to eperiment with my Xbox and I'm willing to install MXM dash on my Xbox. I don't have any dashes on my Xbox so this is the first time I am doing something like this. I have made a simple CD with MXM on it, it hase one game and one app. I have done this becaus first I want to know MXM better before uploading it to my HD. There is one problem I can't connect to my Xbox, here i my MXM.xml
CODE
<Config>
<Main>
 <DiscTitle>Media X Menu</DiscTitle>
 <DiscSubtitle>Test</DiscSubtitle>
 <SkinsPath>D:Skins</SkinsPath>
 <RemoveDuplicates>True</RemoveDuplicates>
 <RemoveInvalid>True</RemoveInvalid>
</Main>
<Network>
 <UseDHCP>false</UseDHCP>
 <IP>192.168.2.4</IP>
 <DNS1>217.121.47.252</DNS1>
 <DefaultGateway>217.121.47.252</DefaultGateway>
 <SubnetMask>255.255.255.0</SubnetMask>
</Network>
<Preferences>
 <FTPPriority>high</FTPPriority>
 <Nickname>Merkes Xbox</Nickname>
</Preferences>
<Overrides>
</Overrides>
<FTPServer>
 <User>
 <Name>xbox</Name>
 <Password>xbox</Password>
 </User>
</FTPServer>
</Config>

Can someone pleas tell me what I did wrong. I don't have a router it's a direct connection. I use a cross-over cable (Cat. 5), FlashFXP and I have nothing changed on my PC. DNS1 and DefaultGateway are my Pc IP adres.

Greetz Merkes

P.S. Sorry for my bad English.

#2 Kthulu

Kthulu

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 21 January 2004 - 08:51 PM

does your PC plugs directly into a cable/dsl modem? (i'm trying to figure out where your PC is getting it's IP from)

do you have 2 network cards in your PC? if so, your other network card will have it's own IP. need to know that one so you can give xbox an IP in the same subnet.

are you disconnecting your PC from the internet to connect to the xbox? if so, just make your xbox's IP 217.121.47.251 so the xbox and PC will be in the same subnet. not sure if that will actually work...need to see default gateway for your PC...

Edited by Kthulu, 21 January 2004 - 09:24 PM.

#3 Kthulu

Kthulu

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 10:45 PM

bump in case you didn't see my edit above...sorry, i should've read your post better the first time...

#4 Merkes

Merkes

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 07:52 AM

Hello,

Yes I am directly connect to my cable modem, my modem gets his IP from the DHCP server from my internet provider. I have only one network card in my Pc, so when i want to connect to my Xbox I disconnect my internet cable. Right now I am at my work so I can't check out my DefaultGateway IP i will post it later.

Greetz Merkes

---EDIT---
If you like to know I made my MXM.xml file from scratch, using the MXM User Help Site here is quote about DNS1 and DefaultGateway:
<DNS1> Defines the IP address of the DNS, Normaly is the same address of the router or of the PC the XBOX is connected
<DefaultGateway> Defines the IP address of the Gateway, Normaly is the same address of the router or of the PC the XBOX is connected

Edited by Merkes, 22 January 2004 - 08:22 AM.

#5 Kthulu

Kthulu

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 02:27 PM

yes, all that is good. but the keywords there are 'Normally'. since your disconnecting your PC from the internet when you connect to the xbox, just change your xbox's IP to 217.121.47.251 so that your PC and the xbox are on the same subnet. that might work for you, but you may have to temporarily change your PC's default gateway to the xbox's IP when you want to connect to the xbox. you would prolly need to reboot after that.

however, if you are rebooting your PC after you unplug from the cable modem, your PC's IP may be changing on you. the most sure-fire way to connect to xbox in this manner would be to do the following:

1. unplug PC from cable modem
2. manually give your PC the following settings:
IP 192.168.0.1
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.0.2
(DNS doesn't matter in this situation)
3. reboot PC
4 make sure your xbox has these IP settings:
IP 192.168.0.2
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.0.1
(DNS doesn't matter in this situation)
5. reboot xbox

^ that will definitely work, but it is a bit of a hassle. you should really consider getting a firewall/router. it would make things much easier for you and provide a little extra security when your on the internet. they are pretty cheap these days (except for the wireless kind)

Edited by Kthulu, 22 January 2004 - 02:34 PM.

#6 Merkes

Merkes

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 09:36 AM

Thx a lot m8, I will try that out as soon as I got my PC up and runnin. Norton AntiVirus screwd my PC up grr.gif

Edited by Merkes, 26 January 2004 - 09:37 AM.

#7 Kthulu

Kthulu

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 12:29 PM

damn, you too? as soon as i got home last night, my step-mother called with a computer that wouldn't boot after getting norton subscription and LiveUpdating...

#8 yourwishismine

yourwishismine

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 26 January 2004 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE (Kthulu @ Jan 26 2004, 08:29 AM)
damn, you too? as soon as i got home last night, my step-mother called with a computer that wouldn't boot after getting norton subscription and LiveUpdating...

I'm guessing that your are talking norton antivirus 2004.. which I have installed on over 20+ machines... I haven't had a problem with it...

#9 Kthulu

Kthulu

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 05:03 PM

i myself have never had a problem with norton...we use it here at work too (300+ machines). the only problems we've had at work is uninstalling one version and installing a newer version...just a couple of times did that create problems...but we use the corporate edition.

however, i think the version my dad and step-mother were using was 2002 smile.gif

i just thought it was an odd coincidence.

Edited by Kthulu, 26 January 2004 - 05:07 PM.

#10 Merkes

Merkes

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 07:24 PM

I know that this is a little bit off-topic but here is what i did with my Norton 2004. You need to download manualy LiveUpdate version 2.0.39.0 from Symantec (LINK), after I have installed it I had no more problems with my Norton. And eeh I haven't tryed jet connecting to my Xbox, first my PC.

#11 Merkes

Merkes

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 08:11 PM

I know that this is a little bit off-topic but here is what i did with my Norton 2004. You need to download manualy LiveUpdate version 2.0.39.0 from Symantec (LINK), after I have installed it I had no more problems with my Norton. And eeh I haven't tryed jet connecting to my Xbox, first my PC.

--EDIT--
Sorry for posrting two times, i got an error when i posted the firs time so i thougt it dind't post my reply but it did.

Edited by Merkes, 26 January 2004 - 09:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users