4 replies to this topic

#1 jorkul

jorkul

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 03:03 AM

Alright, I just got done fixing a problem that I had with my d0 point, and I was putting my xbox case back together. I noticed the middle torx screw on the back was having a hard time, but the threads caught and it whipped into place. I got it all done, and went to turn it on to play some Prince of Persia when the xbox powered on then off twice and then powered on with a green/red flicker from the LED.

Now, I opened the case back up and saw that I had put a hole RIGHT through my IDE cable.

Got a new cable, everything should be peachy dorry, plug it in {have to force it a little because it won't go in [NEVER FORCE! (i OBVIOUSLY LEARNED THIS THE HARD WAY)]}. So, I pushed one of the connectors in on the HDD. Crap. Error 07.

So, am I screwed?

Edited by jorkul, 22 January 2004 - 03:05 AM.

#2 mcw

mcw

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 23 January 2004 - 03:39 AM

Questions:

1 - What kind of cable did you replace it with (40-pin, 80-pin)?
2 - Did you put the cables in the proper way (PIN1 AWAY from power on DVD, TOWARDS POWER on hard drive)?

If 80-pin, was the cable keyed?

Does the CONNECTORS on the cable have plugged holes (keyed)? If so, did you check to see if you might have pushed in one of the pins on the drives?

#3 Trajan

Trajan

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 03:09 AM

I'm not sure how to fix your issue. But if anyone tells you your hdd is dead; don't listen to them. A friend had this problem and I havent had a chance to look at it but it seems a lot are having this problem. Also, it seems that people think that if changing the ide cable doesnt work then the hdd is dead .. There is no way drives fail this often; they don't in regular pc's (THIS often, I mean). My advice is to keep workin with it; hopefully you have a backup of the eeprom .. if not tho I think there are ways around this .. Well, all im sayin is before you chunk it make sure you explore all the options .. good luck
*Trajan

#4 daoist

daoist

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 03:43 AM

if you have a *lot* of patience you can fix a bent IDE pin with some tweezers.

be really slow and really gentle; if you snap it off you're fubar.

So, if you learned your lesson, you can fix it. If you are worried at all that you haven't learned your lesson, get a friend you trust to fix it smile.gif

#5 networkBoy

networkBoy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 24 January 2004 - 04:01 AM

my bro did this to a 60 gig maxtor. It's now running fine in my box. like daoist said, just take your time.
-nB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users