6 replies to this topic

#1 xboxing

xboxing

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 11:37 AM

just checking something quickly here. since all updates taken from live are stored on the hdd, after updating the levels and stuff using my original disk (with my chip off), those updates will then be playable if i boot up my backup right??

theoretically anyway, anyone done it??
the update couldn't get you flagged in anyway could it??

#2 shanafan

shanafan

He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,527 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 December 2002 - 08:27 PM

So, are you saying that you have example Splinter Cell OEM disc and also a backup on your HD, and if you get extra content from OEM disc Splinter Cell from Live, will the content be on your backup as well?

Sounds really interesting. I imagine Live would just save the content on the HD but there might be a CRC check involved. Some of the saved games from xbox-saves.com don't work because of that issue.

#3 xboxing

xboxing

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 10:15 PM

ironically enough, thats exactly the game i was thinking about.

i'm interested to know if the update will render my backup useless. wouldn't surprise me.

#4 Sev

Sev

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 11:40 PM

I *think* it goes like this.

You run a default.xbe for a given game. This XBE file, when loaded, looks for an updated version of itself in the game save directory for this game. If it sees one, it runs it. It checks for newer game binaries online too if it can, and places this in the game save directory and reruns the XBE.

The MotoGP online demo appears to do this so far.

I know the Xbox philosophy was about now having game patches, but this kind of update system handles problems like servers changing etc. And I'm sure it's a great way for MS to add progressive modchip checks too.

#5 mervy

mervy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 01:05 PM

What are gamers going to do in see a years time when they have all these games downloading extra content to their HDD, is there anyway to delete the stuff that you do not need anymore (if like it looks I have to buy a seperate Xbox with an 8GB HDD to play LIVE).

Or is it a marketing stunt for M$ to bring out and external HDD (or something similar)

My opinion is that M$ let Modchips be developed, so that we would buy 2 boxs instead of 1 so we can play LIVE

#6 shanafan

shanafan

He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,527 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 December 2002 - 05:25 PM

What are gamers going to do in see a years time when they have all these games downloading extra content to their HDD, is there anyway to delete the stuff that you do not need anymore (if like it looks I have to buy a seperate Xbox with an 8GB HDD to play LIVE).

I don't think the extra content will fill up a 8 gig HD. And, I am pretty sure you can delete the extra content you download.

Edited by shanafan, 09 December 2002 - 05:26 PM.

#7 forcelite

forcelite

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 07:17 PM

"My opinion is that M$ let Modchips be developed, so that we would buy 2 boxs instead of 1 so we can play LIVE "

I highly doubt this being that M$ loses money on every xbox sold and ONLY makes profits from games and accesories.

Live is a perfect example of how much M$ hates modchips. There is always those people that think everything is a conspiracy but I think that what we are seeing in this modchip scene is pretty straight forward.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users