• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 UndercoverPunker

UndercoverPunker

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Interests:XBOX, snowboarding, My Caprice, HiFi sound, stuff I'm not supposed to like, community service...
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 23 January 2004 - 05:46 AM

Has anyone started developing larger bioses(2048) to take advantage of the now larger capacity chips (i.e. x-bit and xenium)? Or is it just for multi larger bioses(512, 1024)?

#2 shallow1

shallow1

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 06:35 AM

What exactly would be the point of a 2048 bios? Im genuinly curious. What advantages does a 1024 bios have over say a 256 or 512? I mean file size here, not actual chip capacity.

#3 heinrich

heinrich

..assuming the role of God

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,576 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 January 2004 - 07:55 AM

From what I understand, the mcpx will only pull 1024k from the chip.

#4 UndercoverPunker

UndercoverPunker

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Interests:XBOX, snowboarding, My Caprice, HiFi sound, stuff I'm not supposed to like, community service...

Posted 24 January 2004 - 03:33 AM

I don't know, as you can see I'm a newbie, I've modded more than one xbox, I just don't know that much about it, not as much as I'd like to atleast, I was simply wondering if the only reason to have such a large chip was for multi-bios switching or if anyone was actually developing larger bioses... I was simply wondering...

#5 ChrisF

ChrisF

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 03:44 AM

So just about every bios right now can be crammed into 256K. I have 4 different 256K bioses on my 1MB chip (yeah - I pretty much use only 1 but if there's a problem it's nice to know I have 3 more and can experiment at will). They did develop a bios that had an executable xbe file in it for FTP that was larger. Basically, if there isn't an embedded program there's no need for more space given the current architecture. Sort of future proofing and just adding more features to the list - in this case a 'mine is bigger' thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users