CaliSurfer008

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,458 posts
  • Interests:Brahm is a whore
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 25 January 2004 - 03:42 AM

Ok I am sick of people asking this question...so here is a little tutorial I put together. I will update it with pictures and maybe even how to remove other dashes and not just EvoX.

Last Update: 01-25-04
Making UnleashX The Default Dashboard TUTORIAL v1.0

1st Step: Removal of EvolutionX

Ok, In order for UnleashX to be your default dashboard, so when you turn on your xbox the first dash to load is UnleashX, you must remove your current dashboard. I will show how to remove the EvoX dashboard Build 3935, but removal of other builds is practically the same.

1- Open up your favorite FTP program. I use FlashFXP

2- Make sure your xbox is hooked up to your network and is on and ready to connect via FTP

3- Find the IP address of your Xbox assigned by DHCP (if you use a hub or a switch or something w/o DHCP, you will need to set a static IP. I assume if you have already setup a static IP you know what I'm talking about wink.gif). It is displayed on-screen in EvoX

4- Once you are connected to your Xbox, navigate to your C: directory.

5- Once you are there, these are the following files/folders you have to remove:

-Bios (Folder)
-Skin (Folder)
-Trainers (Folder)
-Trainers Source.zip (File-which shouldn't be there unless you transferred everything over...it is unneeded for the dash to load)
-evox.ini (File)
-evoxdash.xbe (File) - (evoxdash.xbe is the default name found in the EvoX build 3935 rar. You may have changed this depending on what your bios can boot to. So pretty much delete the EvoX xbe file...if you changed it, you should know the name of what you changed it to)

6- Now you have completely deleted the EvoX dashboard, and BE SURE YOU DO NOT TURN YOUR XBOX OFF AT THIS POINT. If you do you will have to have an EvoX cd handy and well that is a different tutorial wink.gif

2nd Step: Installing UnleashX

I am using UnleashX v0.26.0119A. Unless something is majorly changed...I assume this will work for future versions.

1- Now go to the folder you have the .zip file of UnleashX, and extract to a temporary folder.

2- In your ftp client, navigate through your computer to the folder you just extracted the UnleashX dash .zip file to.

3- Select the following files on your pc and transfer them over to the C:/ of your xbox:

-Config.xml (File)
-default.xbe (File)

4- Now you must change that "default.xbe" file you just transferred over to one of the following:

1. avalaunch.xbe
2. evoxdash.xbe
3. mxmdash.xbe
4. nexgen.xbe
5. xboxdash.xbe

Those are the boot sequences for the Xecuter2 4981 Bios, which is the bios I recommend.

5- Now you can disconnect your FTP client and restart your Xbox, and the UnleashX dash will boot up if you did everything right.

Notes:
- I am not responsible for anything the happens to your xbox.
- Thanks to UX and the whole UnleashX team, including my fellow Beta Testers wink.gif
- Please send your comments/suggestions to admin@sektar.com

#2 jdandc

jdandc

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 09:03 AM

Hey Calisurfer,

Thanks for your tuturial, that was what I thought you had to do but I wasn't 100% certain.
It took me all of 5 mins to sort out.

Thanks again
JD

#3 Master-Chief

Master-Chief

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 25 January 2004 - 12:32 PM

Thank you Mr. Calisurfer... now hopefully after this we won't have so many "How do I make UnleashX the Default Dash" threads!

#4 SxualVnilla

SxualVnilla

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Interests:Your Mom

Posted 25 January 2004 - 10:23 PM

Is it defferent if I am going from Avalaunch?

#5 CaliSurfer008

CaliSurfer008

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (SxualVnilla @ Jan 25 2004, 04:23 PM)
Is it defferent if I am going from Avalaunch?

let me check for you...hold on

#6 CaliSurfer008

CaliSurfer008

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 10:34 PM

It seems that Avalaunch is a little different...

and MXM is A LOT different..

I first want to add in pictures for this, and then I will add in Avalaunch hopefully this week

#7 DBZRacer

DBZRacer

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 11:22 PM

Just a suggestion; I don't think it's wise to REMOVE evox completely from your system. Even if you remove it from C, it would still be best to have evox as an app somewhere (so it might be good to mention that in your tut). I know we all knock down Evox, but I still know a lot of people who use it as a backup dash.

With that said, if I find some free time this week, I might revise my old tut I wrote for MXM (Simple Guide to Convert from EvoX to MXM ) for UnleashX. Install is neary identical for MXM and UX. For my tut, just replace:

mxm (default.xbe) with unleashx (default.xbe)
and
mxm.xml with config.xml.

#8 DBZRacer

DBZRacer

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 01:01 AM

Hope you dont mind CaliSurfer but I started to tweak my old tut and couldnt stop. So here it is for those interested

How to Convert Your Default Dashboard From EvoX to UnleashX

I left out the skins section as I wasnt quite sure how UnleashX users name their skins folder in C:\ If someone can let me know what folder most UX users use, I will update the tut. My recomendation would be a new folder called "UnleashXSkins" or "UXSkins" just to not mix them up with the EvoX skins folder.

beerchug.gif

#9 CaliSurfer008

CaliSurfer008

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 01:03 AM

QUOTE (DBZRacer @ Jan 25 2004, 05:22 PM)
Just a suggestion; I don't think it's wise to REMOVE evox completely from your system. Even if you remove it from C, it would still be best to have evox as an app somewhere (so it might be good to mention that in your tut). I know we all knock down Evox, but I still know a lot of people who use it as a backup dash.

With that said, if I find some free time this week, I might revise my old tut I wrote for MXM (Simple Guide to Convert from EvoX to MXM ) for UnleashX. Install is neary identical for MXM and UX. For my tut, just replace:

and
mxm.xml with config.xml.

Yes...but if people want this as their default dash...this is what needs to be done...I guess i could add in just how to add evoX as an app...

but if somehow people fail to successfully install UX...and they have EvoX as an app...that will do them no good...

If people want UnleashX as their Default dash, this is how it is done. Adding EvoX as an app is a different tutorial wink.gif

Can I get some other input on this

#10 CaliSurfer008

CaliSurfer008

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 01:07 AM

QUOTE (DBZRacer @ Jan 25 2004, 07:01 PM)
Hope you dont mind CaliSurfer but I started to tweak my old tut and couldnt stop. So here it is for those interested

I left out the skins section as I wasnt quite sure how UnleashX users name their skins folder in C: If someone can let me know what folder most UX users use, I will update the tut. My recomendation would be a new folder called "UnleashXSkins" or "UXSkins" just to not mix them up with the EvoX skins folder.

beerchug.gif

not sure why you posted that here...a tutorial in a tutorial thread?!

Also i believe editing the config.xml is unnecessary to be in there. If people do not know how to make UX their default dash, I think they should just change the settings on-screen under the settings menu on UnleashX

#11 DBZRacer

DBZRacer

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE (CaliSurfer008 @ Jan 25 2004, 07:07 PM)
QUOTE (DBZRacer @ Jan 25 2004, 07:01 PM)

I left out the skins section as I wasnt quite sure how UnleashX users name their skins folder in C: If someone can let me know what folder most UX users use, I will update the tut. My recomendation would be a new folder called "UnleashXSkins" or "UXSkins" just to not mix them up with the EvoX skins folder.

beerchug.gif

not sure why you posted that here...a tutorial in a tutorial thread?!

Also i believe editing the config.xml is unnecessary to be in there. If people do not know how to make UX their default dash, I think they should just change the settings on-screen under the settings menu on UnleashX

Why not have a tuturial in a tutorial thread? Why not? This thread was meant to help newbie users switch over to UnleashX right? "There is more than one way to skin a cat..."

If you feel this is YOUR tuturial thread, let me know and I can delete my link and start a new one. Seeing that this thread was pinned, I thought having different choices for users to follow would be good for them to help figure it out if they havent by now.

And yes you are right about the config.xml. It's been updated to note that they can also change the network settings in the Systems Settings UI.

#12 DBZRacer

DBZRacer

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 01:54 AM

QUOTE (CaliSurfer008 @ Jan 25 2004, 07:03 PM)
QUOTE (DBZRacer @ Jan 25 2004, 05:22 PM)

and
mxm.xml with config.xml.

Yes...but if people want this as their default dash...this is what needs to be done...I guess i could add in just how to add evoX as an app...

but if somehow people fail to successfully install UX...and they have EvoX as an app...that will do them no good...

If people want UnleashX as their Default dash, this is how it is done. Adding EvoX as an app is a different tutorial wink.gif

Can I get some other input on this

You do not need to delete EVOX/MXM/AVA to make UnleashX your default dash. I just finished installing UX on 2 friends xboxs and have both EvoX and UnleashX in their C:\ with "unleashxdash.xboe" being the default dash. I have both MXM, UX, and EVOX on my C: drive all with no problems whatsoever...

In all honesty, your how to along with my rendition is dated and more of a work around for newbies who do not know how to edit their own BIOS and flash their tsop/modchips. I personally do not want unleashx to be named evoxdash in my system. It is confusing and does not give UnleashX, MXM or any other alternate dash their due respect.

If I had more time, I would write a true and slightly more advanced how to that would cover how to edit the latest and greatest bios out there so you can have the bios boot "unleashxdash.xbe" or "mxmdash.xbe" first as opposed to renaming unleashx into something else that it isnt.

#13 CaliSurfer008

CaliSurfer008

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 02:03 AM

yes but the whole point of this was to keep it simple,clean, and to the point. This isn't supposed to be an advanced guide in anyway. This is the simplest solution

#14 SxualVnilla

SxualVnilla

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Interests:Your Mom

Posted 26 January 2004 - 03:37 AM

Hey, lets not argue about who has the best tutorial. Any tutorial is a good one. One is stright and to the point, and the other is a more professional one. They are both good in their own way.

#15 CaliSurfer008

CaliSurfer008

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 03:55 AM

QUOTE (SxualVnilla @ Jan 25 2004, 09:37 PM)
Hey, lets not argue about who has the best tutorial. Any tutorial is a good one. One is stright and to the point, and the other is a more professional one. They are both good in their own way.

agreed smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users