25 replies to this topic

#1 GenEriq

GenEriq

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 01:41 PM

I thought I hit the lottery when I got my new XBOX and lo and behold there was a Samsung drive! I bought the XBOX just to mod it, so I quickly set about it. I used Slayer's to set it up from CDR and it went flawlessly. Once I got ahold of some games to try, I had a hell of a time getting the originals recognized. I would try again and again, to get "Unknown" or "No Disc", and sometimes the disc would load... well last night I had enough. I was going to order a 616T or F to mod, but I figured I might as well dive inside my Samsung and see what I could do.

There are already good tutorials detailing the disassembly and removal of the DVD drive, so I won't bore you with those details. Once you have the drive removed, remove the four screws on the bottom of the drive and remove the bottom cover the screws were securing. Your drive should look like this:

user posted image

You can see the laser unit, and the two potentiometers are located for easy access. I couldn't find any posts or tutorials regarding the Samsung POTs, so I wasn't sure which was the pickup I should adjust. I scraped some of the epoxy and measured the resistance of each POT. One was at about 2.3K ohms and the other was at about 960 ohms. I decided to adjust the POT that was at 960 and see the effect, then I would try the other if I saw no improvement. As mentioned in the existing POT tuts, be very careful scaping off the epoxy holding the POT screws in place. I personally removed my whole laser and did it under a microscope with an exacto tip, but that is because I had the scope handy! The potentiometes are very touchy and sometimes jump huge amounts when you adjust them. It took some careful tweaking, but I got the setting to 865 ohms, which I thought I would try. The POT I adjusted is indicated in this picture, and I was measuring the resistance between the POT terminals labelled 1 and 3.

user posted image

I reassembled and tested the unit, and I couldn't be happier. The performance difference is like night and day! I can load all the originals I try, and the XBOX demo discs that I could NEVER get to load, load right up without a hitch. If you have the steady hand and proper equipment, I'd measure the POT resistance while making the adjustment with a plastic screwdriver. A metal screwdriver will throw off the resistance reading because of the design of the POT. Don't bother trying to measure the POT while adjusting if you only have a metal screwdriver handy. Just go through trial and error - tweak, measure... tweak, measure...

I just provided these pics in hopes it may help answer someone else's questions. I'd suggest you only try this if you REALLY know what you are doing, and I completely agree with many others who've posted that you really should have a scope to do laser calibrations. I take no responsibility if you fry your XBOX or yourself! biggrin.gif

#2 ofx210p

ofx210p

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 25 January 2004 - 01:45 PM

Thanks for that info... It'll definately be usefull.

Maybe this should be pinned !!!

Cheers

Chris

#3 afwildcat

afwildcat

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 07:33 PM

did it read +r after the tweak. My samsung reads everything except +r

#4 powercntrl

powercntrl

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modding/repair, gaming, PhotoShop, Sonic Foundry Acid, iTunes, WinXP, Linux, Car Audio, fishing
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 January 2004 - 02:28 AM

Don't go tweaking your pot on Sammys thinking you'll get them to read +R. The reason they don't like +R is due to the "book type" being set on the disk by the burner indicating the disc is a +R. The Sammy will read +R discs just fine if they were burned with the book type set to DVD-ROM. Later versions of Nero have an option for this on drives that support it.

It's my understanding that no multiformat burner supports changing the book type, so if you've got a multiformat writer, just buy the -R blanks.

#5 GenEriq

GenEriq

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 05:24 PM

I'd agree w/powercntrl and I wouldn't tweak for that. I couldn't tell you if my drive reads +R discs as I don't have access to any.

#6 Scan-C

Scan-C

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 26 January 2004 - 05:32 PM

AFAIK you can only set the book type to dvd-rom on dvd+rw media

#7 cRuNcHiE

cRuNcHiE

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 01:52 PM

I just tried this tweak on my box, the original value for me was 882 but i still got lots of problems reading some good G04 media so i played with it a little and have settled on 750 myself!

seems to load a bit faster, some old dvds now read ok and it seems to have an easier time generally ie doesnt make lotsa noise after you first put in the dvd.

#8 Corspegrinder99

Corspegrinder99

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 February 2004 - 03:06 PM

nice job

#9 bummer

bummer

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (powercntrl @ Jan 26 2004, 04:28 AM)
Don't go tweaking your pot on Sammys thinking you'll get them to read +R. The reason they don't like +R is due to the "book type" being set on the disk by the burner indicating the disc is a +R. The Sammy will read +R discs just fine if they were burned with the book type set to DVD-ROM. Later versions of Nero have an option for this on drives that support it.

It's my understanding that no multiformat burner supports changing the book type, so if you've got a multiformat writer, just buy the -R blanks.

Just to let everyone know, there is a program for Liteon DVD multi-format burners to set the book type.

#10 tomvleeuwen

tomvleeuwen

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 09:15 PM

Sorry for the late replay, but is it also possible to make the new samsung read cd-r this way?

#11 jasonread1

jasonread1

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 11:10 AM

Should I turn the screw anti-clock or clock wise to make the tweak ?

#12 Varsis

Varsis

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 12:09 PM

Alright ladies, put the shovel away.

#13 A.Z.BESTŪ

A.Z.BESTŪ

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (Scan-C @ Jan 26 2004, 06:35 PM)
AFAIK you can only set the book type to dvd-rom on dvd+rw media

No. You can set it on every type of DVD recordables.

Was it the new Sammy SDG-605F or the old one 605B?

#14 jasonread1

jasonread1

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 01:08 PM

my drive that i am trying to tweak is the 605b

i just need to know which way to turn the screw.

i've done about a quarter turn clockwise but not been able to test it yet

#15 TheGoOse

TheGoOse

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 11:20 PM

Did someone download the original images of this post? I really need them !!!

I've got a Samsung 605B drive that only read CDs on the top of my table, waiting for me to calibrate it unsure.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users