• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bUyo

bUyo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 04:51 AM

There has been alot of talk on IRC about peoples hard drives frying (these are swapped hard drives not the original xbox hd). I am trying to figure out if there is an actual problem here, so my questions are these:

What kind of hd did you put in your xbox?
How long has it lasted?
Have you experienced or has anyone you know experienced hard drive failure?

The more people who respond the better. Thanks in advance for posting.

#2 gizmo5096

gizmo5096

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 07:48 PM

120 Gig Maxtor 5400 RPM
Installed 3 weeks ago and is still working great
The drive was made in 2001 I believe

#3 aziwoof

aziwoof

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 08:56 PM

Well I just put in a WD 80 gig 8mb cache. Works perfectly but could not lock it. However it is extremely fast due to the 8mb cache.

#4 []v[]ossop_X

[]v[]ossop_X

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 11:16 PM

what you can just take out your old one and plug almost any other harddrives??

#5 bUyo

bUyo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 12:51 AM

read the freakin' tutorials []v[]ossop_X
and get a new screen name, your is annoying to type.

#6 Icculus

Icculus

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 06 December 2002 - 06:31 AM

Thats the idea, man wink.gif
Just check the tutorials, you need to prep the drive first, can't just pop it in smile.gif
There are other great tutorials on this site for questions you're going to have. Get accquanted with them first, it will save you and the rest of the board plenty of trouble smile.gif

Oh, and welcome to xbox-scene! beerchug.gif

#7 rjm2k

rjm2k

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE (bUyo @ Dec 5 2002, 03:51 AM)
There has been alot of talk on IRC about peoples hard drives frying (these are swapped hard drives not the original xbox hd). I am trying to figure out if there is an actual problem here, so my questions are these:

What kind of hd did you put in your xbox?
How long has it lasted?
Have you experienced or has anyone you know experienced hard drive failure?

The more people who respond the better. Thanks in advance for posting.

Really? I haven't heard anyone talking about that on IRC. Do you mean people who are having problems locking/unlocking new drives?

#8 bUyo

bUyo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 01:38 AM

No i dont mean lock/unlock issues, i mean straight-up hard drive failure. The guy I was talking to on xbins said that he had already gone through three western digital drives! While this was going on other people started mentioning their problems. Which leads me to believe that there may actually be an issue. But what we need is more info, hence:

What type of drive?
How long has it lasted?
Has one failed on you, or someone you know?

#9 Andy

Andy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Xbox<br><br>YEAHHH

Posted 07 December 2002 - 04:56 PM

my friend just put in an maxtor 80 gb i will wait until i do it and se if his gettin fried now i got kinda scared

cant i put in an extra fan ?? sad.gif

#10 MartialXboxArtist

MartialXboxArtist

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 December 2002 - 08:08 PM

If the HDD is ACTUALLY FRIED itself, maybe it's due to running games straight from it and it's working way too heard for that ONE fan to keep it cool. I may need to make a MOD on the side and add 3 more small cooling fan.

#11 lihin

lihin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 December 2002 - 07:11 AM

i had an 80 gb maxtor that got toasted a while ago. it worked but was ridiculously slow. i put it in my computer and could copy a file to it fine, but when trying to read or delete from it, it was as if it had locked up. i returned it and got a new one and have had no probs with it in my xbox for about 3 weeks now.

my friend just emailed me a couple of hours ago saying he's getting a hdd error when he boots up his xbox. same drive.

this might be stupid, but i'm wondering if turning off and on the xbox repeatedly without letting the hdd wind down might screw up the drive. thats what i was doing when my first maxtor fried.

just a thought.

#12 lihin

lihin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 December 2002 - 07:27 AM

turns out my friend dropped his xbox, so that might explain his problems

moron.

#13 stratjakt

stratjakt

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 11 December 2002 - 11:19 PM

No problems here. Haven't even heard of any real problems.

Mine is external, I mounted an IDE socket on the side of the xbox, and feed the original ribbon cable out the back.

I have a PC-DVD and HDD in a little frame next to the xbox, and I switch between retail/hacked drives by swapping the plug.

btw, powering only one drive at a time like the Project 411 leads to lots of 'disc is dirty' errors, as the drive electrics can still be driven off the ribbon.. It doesn't work at all with switching the DVDs, which was my goal more than the HDD.

All the same, props to that guy, as it inspired my ghetto 'mod' - I used the same 4 pin CB connector as he did for my power lines.

Could be heat, but I doubt it. It's probably better ventilated in the xbox than it would be in many cases I've seen.

Maybe newer/bigger drives are more sensitive to static? There doesn't seem to be alot of grounding in the xbox.

#14 Scan-C

Scan-C

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 11 December 2002 - 11:42 PM

2 boxes biggrin.gif

40 gb ibm deskstar 7200 rpm
3 months
works perfect (only some bad sectors that were there before due to my pc that has done something weird with this drive dry.gif )

120 gb western digital 7200 rpm
2 months
damn fast with it's 8 mb cache biggrin.gif and works perfect aswell

#15 St00

St00

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE (Icculus @ Dec 6 2002, 06:31 AM)

Thats the idea, man wink.gif
Just check the tutorials, you need to prep the drive first, can't just pop it in smile.gif
There are other great tutorials on this site for questions you're going to have. Get accquanted with them first, it will save you and the rest of the board plenty of trouble smile.gif

Oh, and welcome to xbox-scene! beerchug.gif

dry.gif I just picked up an xbox hdd that's locked. I don't have the original xbox to get the password to unlock it, is there anything I can do? Is there another way to get the password, or are they really all matched to indiviual machines?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users