dno

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 28 January 2004 - 10:30 PM

Addition to my previous post,

Whilst downloading a skin avalaunch froze so i turned off the xbox, now I get instant red flashing led and no video output either through advanced or standard av cable.

I have read other threads in this forum and i dont want to upset anyone in the avalaunch team, what i saw of avalaunch was awesome and big respect goes out but something it did has definately fried my xbox.

I have (had) a Pal v1.3 with a wire-installed xbit (Evox M6 ef bios).

I have done the following to try and fix it
----------------------------------------------------

I tried reflashing my bios, doesn't work, Instant flash red no video.

I disconnected the wires to the xbit usb board, as expected on off three times then red/green flashing (that would indicate to me that it isn't a corrupt bios).

I have dismantled the xbox and removed the chip completely, doesn't work, i still get instant flash red no video.

I know that there is no code in avalaunch that flashes bios (the tsop isnt write enabled anyway) but could it be possible that the EEPROM has been corrupted, i know that avalaunch changes that for video settings, could it be flashing red because it cant find any video/region settings or its screwed?

Does ANYONE know if this can be repaired (i.e. some clever electrical techy who can flash the eeprom), if not then anyone in the uk with a f*****g xbox motherboard for sale would be useful.

Sorry to sound like i am accusing here but i am unbelievably f***d off, this is a pretty near brand new xbox, i only tried avalaunch out because i saw the new launch info on xbox-scene and was impressed by the website, i have never had any grief with evox and i have successfully modded about 4 xboxes (i know thats no big whoop but i aint just some stupid annoying noob who doesn't know what they are doing).

Any help/advice would be really cool.

Dean.

#2 PuddWakkr

PuddWakkr

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 January 2004 - 12:07 AM

My guess would be that your EEPROM somehow got hosed. Unsure if this would be a problem with ava itself as if this was a problem there would be plenty of people in here bitching about it considering how many people use the skins downloading feature. I am unfamiliar with the xbit chip but does it have any kind of *advanced* features like HD or EEPROM management like the newer OZX or X3 chips that could have caused your frag problem. Sorry I can't really help at all maybe an ava dev can shed some light as to if ava somehow accesses the videomode for changing of skins (which I don't think it does). Sorry to hear about the box anyhow.

#3 Big Lou

Big Lou

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 01:15 AM

I've been using an XBIT modded xbox v1.1 with ava for a while with absolutely no problems. I'm not aware of anything that the XBIT does to the EEPROM. However, I did a pogo-pin install of the chip (not to imply anything about soldering skills), and I have had to 're-align' the chip once when I got the flashing lights. Good luck.

#4 corin415

corin415

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:1:12345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty --noclear --autologin live tty1

Posted 29 January 2004 - 01:45 AM

its not Ava, i got the same thing as u did when i was using EvoX, i never fixed the xbox =( took all the spare parts out and moded another xbox

#5 dno

dno

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 04:27 AM

Yeah thanks,

Ikinda agree with what you guys say but would like an ava dev to have a think about it and i understand that we all run this homebrew code at our own risk, but it is too much of a coincedence to not be at least something to do with that.

When it froze i might have been pressing a few keys on the controller, dont some of the buttons change the display mode? Could it ot be that it hadn't completely frozen and then i switched it off just as it was writing to the eeprom.

Anyway, any idea if this can be resurrected? Does anyone know if you can solder wires onto the eeprom and flash somehow it as i have the eeprom.bin backup file from config magic, other than that i have a fried mobo from an v1.0 could i transplant the eeprom from that!?!?!?!

I have tried to see if it will boot the enigma video selector disc to see if this can rectify but no use...

I await any help....

#6 dno

dno

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 05:22 AM

I FIXED IT!!!!!

Check out this link, it was a fragged EEPROM and luckily i had a backup on my PC, ha ha!!!!!

http://forums.xbox-s...0

Big respect to the people who posted that, it ought to be pinned somewhere (not here obviously).

Thanx to all who replied, sorry if i sounded a bit pissed off but i wasn't happy, I can only think that it was an error writing to the eeprom or switching it off caused a spike that erased it.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BACKUPS OF ALL YOUR XBOX EEPROM, HDD KEY ETC. ON THE PC!!!

Right then lets use Avalaunch!!!!

#7 Slackin

Slackin

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 05:54 AM

FYI
I renamed my dashboards on my hardrive wanting the newest avalaunch to be my main bootup (evoxdash.xbe to avadash.xbe and vice versa, 2 lazy to change bios bootup order), upon my next boot my xbox did the quick green flash then red flashing as described.

Not saying for sure it was done by avalaunch, but after reading this I felt I needed to be added to the list who have this happen while playing with avalaunch

The same fix listed was also used to fix my xbox.
I had taken out my larger hardrive so I put it back in (the drive w/avalaunch that I though had originally caused the problem), and it had no problem going to avalaunch dash, so it could have just been some power on/off spike or some other things done prior to or in addition to renaming the dash that resulted in a corrupted eeprom.

#8 >lys<

>lys<

Avalaunch Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 January 2004 - 07:06 AM

Glad to hear you fixed your XBox!

Now, Avalaunch does absolutely NO writing to the EEPROM unless you tell it to (it DOES read the EEPROM sometimes to back it up etc though). And the EEPROM video mode switching only happens when YOU tell Avalaunch to do it smile.gif

Official enough for ya? Seriously, I have NO IDEA what really happened to your XBox, but I'm very pleased it turned out well.

#9 dno

dno

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 07:23 AM

>lys<

Thanx for the info,

Its really misterious but at least its fixed, like i say sorry if i sounded accusing, it must have been a coincidence and a power spike or something, thank christ for xbox-scene forums eh?

Respect to team avalaunch, keep up the good work i am well impressed by avalaunch, the new website launch with feature comparison swung it for me!!!

d:NO

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users