8 replies to this topic

#1 Dools

Dools

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 02:56 AM

i'm trying to lock my xbox hard drive. how do i create a DOS floppy boot disk? i have windows 2000 and cant figure it out. do i go into DOS and make it in there or what?

#2 Knuck3ls

Knuck3ls

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 06:50 AM

If you can't figure out how to make the boot floppy ---> give up now! I hate to say it, but I am just saving you a lot of heart ache sad.gif

#3 archon76

archon76

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 07:40 AM

QUOTE (Knuck3ls @ Dec 6 2002, 05:50 AM)
If you can't figure out how to make the boot floppy ---> give up now! I hate to say it, but I am just saving you a lot of heart ache sad.gif

Knuck3ls

There really is not a way to create a DOS boot disk in Windows 2000. Unlike XP and the WIN9X series there is no create bootable floppy option. The only option to create floppys will create the install/recovery disk for win2K. This is why he is having trouble is not a normal proceedure. Don't be so hard on him most people have no idea the trick to making one under win2K. biggrin.gif

Dools

To make a boot floppy we are going to have to do this a little different than most OS's. You will need the Win2K CD. The method we will use was not intended to work this way but it works fine. On the win2K CD go into the Valueadd Folder then go in to the 3rdParty folder next go to the CA_ANTIVIRUS folder. Double click on the makedisk batch file this will launch the disk image creator tool. You need a floppy in the drive of course.

After this is done you will have a Win95 (dos 7.0) startup disk. You can delete all the other files on this disk EXCEPT command.com IO.sys MSDOS.sys. Any thing else is fair game.

I hope this helps

#4 kkattfish

kkattfish

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 December 2002 - 07:43 AM

very good post archon76 this should be posted if it works...

#5 archon76

archon76

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for the compliment.

I found this out one night late at a clients site. I need a DOS based boot disk and all the machines were win2k. So I grabbed a Win2k CD and low and behold under the value addin's
was a DOS based Virus scanner.

They really should have made a bootable (dos) option under win2k.

#6 theLite

theLite

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 11:22 AM

you can also find downloadable bootdisks at www.bootdisk.com they have just about every version of DOS and windows boot disk available. A good resource if you're in a pinch and have internet connection.

lite

#7 MrEs

MrEs

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 December 2002 - 01:42 PM

yea i like bootdisk.com too, saved me many a headaches.. =)

#8 archon76

archon76

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 10:01 PM

That is a nice web site I have used it before. If he has his Win2k CD it will save him a download. biggrin.gif

#9 cyrusuncc

cyrusuncc

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 07:25 PM

SOB, wish i knew about bootdisk.com a few months ago!

would have saved a lot of trouble!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users