• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 faerum

faerum

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 04:05 AM

Hello guys! i have been reading on the forum with this problem buy i couldnt find anything about this drive. my xbox doesnt read the dvd+rw disk always says that the type of disk is unknow, (have evox installed), i have no problems with CD-RW and DVD-R.

my dvd burner its a Sony DRU110A, i already tried burning in data mode, changing the firmware, and with the guides that are here on the forum.

anyone with a similiar drive that have succesfully burned a DVD+RW and have no problems reading with the xbox?

thank you!

#2 HiTek

HiTek

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 05:14 AM

most xboxes cant read dvd+r or dvd+rw

Edited by HiTek, 06 December 2002 - 05:18 AM.

#3 b0ink

b0ink

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 06:21 AM

Sounds like a media problem. Try some different brands.

Edited by b0ink, 06 December 2002 - 06:23 AM.

#4 sub

sub

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 07:31 AM

Dont listen to HiTek, he's talking bull-crap.

DVD+R and DVD-R are pretty much identical in terms of compatibility. DVD+RW and DVD-RW are also equally compatible. These disks are made of the same sorts of material, have the same reflectivity, and both use nearly identical formats.

There is a certain amount of variation in media that can by read by each type drive, but the pattern seems to be

- Thompson DVD Drives usually read DVD+R/DVD-R/DVD+RW/DVD-RW, sometimes reads CD-RW and just about never reads CD-R.

- Philips DVD Drives usually read DVD+R/DVD-R/CD-RW, sometimes reads CD-R and just about never reads DVD-RW/DVD+RW.

----
Unfortunately faerum, your drive (DRU110) is only capable of writing DVD+RW discs, so if your xbox has a Philips drive you have problems. Only suggestion is to try a variety of brands of media, you might find one that works fine.

Good luck

#5 HSDEMONZ

HSDEMONZ

He Who Posts Alot...

• Admin
  • 12,220 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 December 2002 - 11:10 AM

Dont listen to HiTek, he's talking bull-crap.

True.. either in his case they couldn't.. or he is a proponent of DVD-R and DVD-RW only!

- Thompson DVD Drives usually read DVD+R/DVD-R/DVD+RW/DVD-RW, sometimes reads CD-RW and just about never reads CD-R.

- Philips DVD Drives usually read DVD+R/DVD-R/CD-RW, sometimes reads CD-R and just about never reads DVD-RW/DVD+RW.

Hmm... even this could use some work. I've seen alot of THOMPSONS (more than Phillips I've seen) read CDR. SAme goes for Phillips... plenty read the RW's.

There is no longer a line where we can safely say THOMPSON does all of this.. and PHILLIPS does all of that. It would be better to give members proper burning instructions, so they can make a proper attempt at using all of the available media they can burn!

After all.. CDR is cheapest of all.. and I 'd like to see everyone at least try it! I get more success stories than horrow stories with CDR after member learn HOW to burn them.

As for the RW's... Continue trying different brands. For Some... 12 brands were tried until ONE was found to be working and reliable on his particular XBOX.

Our biggest problem is the XBOX reader.. and it's narrowed readability... but rest assured that it isn't as simple a THOMPSON does this and PHILLIPS does that.

Only suggestion is to try a variety of brands of media, you might find one that works fine.

Good luck

Best piece of advice in a long time in this forum.

biggrin.gif

#6 sub

sub

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 07:14 PM

You're right that the pattern I described isn't perfect, but its close.

They key peice of the pattern does seem to be - If you cant a play a particular DVD+RW or a DVD-RW, you've probably got a Philips DVD rom drive in your xbox.

#7 faerum

faerum

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2002 - 06:30 AM

i opened my xbox and yes! it has a Philips Drive, so i think its that its not compatible with RW. i have tried various media and none has worked, well i gues i will have to change my burner. sad.gif

thank you for your help! it really help me a lot!

Faerum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users