10 replies to this topic

#1 jam9_secretagent

jam9_secretagent

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 05:11 PM

hey ppl i need a little help here lol! my xbox keeps shutting off for some reason, i posted a post last time but didn't get a lot of help well i did but tht didnt work. K here is the problem every time i turn on my xbox it turns off, sometimes it works for 5 mins then it turns off and sometimes it doesnt even turn on untill its moved. And if its touched even a little it turns off, this has really been bothering me dry.gif any help would be nice.

oh BTW i have a cheapmod( i think its an apple) and all the point are connected fine, my fans are working fine also and there is no problem with my hd or my dvd-rom.

PLZZZ help!

#2 xbonz00889

xbonz00889

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 01 February 2004 - 05:48 PM

If its not overheating and u have a steady green light then i suggest that u go ahead and sell that mobo and get a new one of ebay. That would be my guess i may be wrong though

#3 The Juggler

The Juggler

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 06:12 PM

It sounds like either a powersupply issue or an overheating issue. When it does boot up, go into the system setting and check the heat of your CPU. I think it shouldn't be over 50 C. If it is, and it goes up, then it's overheating. Then you'd need to find out why it's overheating. Mine used to overheat because I broke the strap that kept the heatsink on the CPU off. I had to apply some thermal paste and screw the heatsink down. Works beautifully ever since.

Otherwise, there could be a short somewhere in the power supply. You could try opening it up and making sure there aren't any loose connections. (Be careful when screwing with the powersupply though....and make sure it's unplugged. I know it can store a charge even when not plugged in.) I once also had a problem that the connection for the cord on the powersupply was loose. I just had to resolder some connections, and then it worked like a champ.

#4 player1

player1

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 06:27 PM

where you have soldered to the lpc points trim back the cables that are poking through so that there is no chance they can earth out on the metal casing .

#5 jam9_secretagent

jam9_secretagent

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 06:43 PM

no its not a grounding issue or an overheating issue, but everytime i fully open up my box and take everything out and then place it back in it works just fine for about 8 hrs thn after tht the same problem happens!

#6 antz1970

antz1970

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 February 2004 - 07:02 PM

i had a xbox doin this , it was only when u touched the lid slightly tho , turns out the jewel led mode + wire was shorting on the case of dvd rom . id look for a short biggrin.gif

#7 jam9_secretagent

jam9_secretagent

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 02:25 AM

hey antz thats the same problem i have, whenever i touch the lid even slightly it turns off, can you tell me what to do in a little more detail if possible thanks!

#8 antz1970

antz1970

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 February 2004 - 02:39 AM

do u have a jewel led mod or a cold cathode or summit u installed , if so as i said could be the + wire shorting on the dvd caseing , in my case it was a jewel led mod , and all i had to do was dollop a bit of hot glue onto the bit i thought was touching

#9 jam9_secretagent

jam9_secretagent

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 02:43 AM

no i dunt have a jewel led mod, man i dont know whats wrong, every time the lid is touched it goes off! damn!!!!

#10 pc2xbox

pc2xbox

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 03:19 AM

I can almost guarantee it is a ground issue. I have dealt with the same exact problem. take everything out of xbox: MB hdd and dvd and hook them up but make sure you have some kind on none conductive surface underneath the MB. then power it on and let it sit and maybe even bump it. Leave it like this for a while, it it works then you have a case-grounding issue. If it doesn't then you have some sort of loose component or a short somewhere. My money is on ground though. I have seen this in the xbox and a thousand computers.

#11 LaughingJedi

LaughingJedi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 05:35 PM

My problem is very similar. I bought a new Xbox, installed a X-Ecuter 2.3B LITE[+], and upgraded to a 60 gig 7200 RPM hard drive I had laying around. Everything was working great for a few days, then all of a sudden, I rebooted and the main Xbox logo screen appeared with the x-ecuter logo at the bottom and it just froze. I rebooted a few times, changing my switches on teh X-Ecuter lite but nothing fixed it. I then noticed when I powered the xbox on, it would come on for a second, turn off, then back on for a second, then back off then back on for the xbox logo screen with x-ecuter logo to appear. That happens everytime I turn it on now. I tried booting to a CD with EvolutionX loaded, and it WILL eventually boot, but it freezes every 3 or 4 seconds, then is okay, then freezes again, etc. I tried removing the hard drive first, but that didn't help. I then removed the DVD drive, but nothing changed. I moved the unit to another outlet in the house to make sure it wasn't a faulty outlet, but that did not work either.

Can I perhaps try a regular PC power supply or is the wiring different? Or maybe it's something else?? Any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users