• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ezrem

Ezrem

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 04:44 AM

So I've got this thomson POS drive that I decided to try the potentiometer adjustment on.

When I get inside and try to get a reading on it to see what it's at and what i'm adjusting it to, it only pops up and registers on my multimeter for a split second, then it goes back to 1.

I'm pretty sure it's not my multimeter as I've used it for several other projects recently.

Is this a symptom of a dead laser assembly?

#2 ofx210p

ofx210p

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 02 February 2004 - 09:29 AM

You could try adjusting the pot anticlockwise by a small amount and seeing if you can get any sort of reading. ?

Clockwise reduces the ohms value anticlockwise increases it

Remember not to go lower then about 850 ohms

#3 Ezrem

Ezrem

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (ofx210p @ Feb 2 2004, 11:29 AM)
You could try adjusting the pot anticlockwise by a small amount and seeing if you can get any sort of reading. ?

Clockwise reduces the ohms value anticlockwise increases it

Remember not to go lower then about 850 ohms

Right, what I'm saying is I do get a reading for a split second on my multimeter, then it goes away, as if I had just touched the probes to the contacts long enough to get the LCD to change and then taken them away, but I'm keeping full contact at all times.

The "readings" I do get jump around between 750 and 1500, too...

#4 Henchman#5

Henchman#5

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 11:49 PM

did you ever figure it out? I was wondering because I'm doing the same adjustment myself now.

#5 Ezrem

Ezrem

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (Henchman#5 @ Feb 18 2004, 01:49 AM)
did you ever figure it out? I was wondering because I'm doing the same adjustment myself now.

Nope. Never figured it out.

Ended up ebaying the drive as a dead unit.

#6 Lugnut

Lugnut

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 03:34 PM

you have your meter on too low of a reading, your probably using 2000 ohm reading, and most thompsons i come across except refurbs are above that, usually 2500 or 2600,

put your meter on 20,000 ohms and youll get a reading then, once you tweak the pot to get it down below 2 grand, switch the meter over to 2000.

and im pretty sure counter clockwise brings down the ohms reading, and clockwise increases it.

Edited by Lugnut, 23 February 2004 - 03:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users