• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bjorn

Bjorn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 08:23 AM

I can't seem to connect to my xbox with my computer. My connection is cable modem -> router(ethernet cable), router -> computer (ethernet cable), computer -> xbox (crossover cable). The xbox is set to static ip, 192.168.0.3, and gateway 192.168.0.1. My computer has a static ip of 192.168.0.1. Using my computer I can ping my own computer but when pinging the xbox ip, I get no response.

Can anyone see anything wrong with my connections or help me out figuring out what's wrong? Thanks.

#2 SirLuck

SirLuck

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 December 2002 - 09:33 AM

I have the same problem. Are you positive the crossover cable works?

#3 archon76

archon76

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 09:33 AM

A couple of things to check make sure you have a link indicating connection on the back of the Xbox and/or PC NIC.

If you are booting for a Evox CD make sure that these line are correct in the EVOX.INI:
SetupNetwork = Yes
StaticIP = yes
Ip = 192.168.0.5
Subnetmask = 255.255.255.0
Defaultgateway = 0.0.0.0
DNS1 = 0.0.0.0
DNS2 = 0.0.0.0

this is a sample config. But the key lines are the 'SetupNetwork', 'StaticIP', 'IP', Subnetmask'
A default gateway is only needed if you are connecting the unit to a remote subnet. For example if the XBOX is connecting to the internet a gateway setting would be needed. The gateway has to be a device that acts as a router.

The DNS line are used the resolve name to IP. Since its easier to remember name of site ex www.yahoo.com insted of ip 66.218.71.89. You can see the value of a DNS server.

#4 archon76

archon76

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE (SirLuck @ Dec 7 2002, 08:33 AM)
I have the same problem. Are you positive the crossover cable works?

Still having a problem? I never heard back from you.

#5 Bjorn

Bjorn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 11:07 AM

I'm pretty sure the cross cable works. The weird thing is that when "static ip: yes" was set to "no", the ip in "System Utils", "Settings", "IP" on the top in blue was 0.0.0.0. I am going to try another crossover cable to check if that is the problem.

Are there any other problems with my setup? Will the router cause any problems(ex. firewalls)?

Other information: I am running win2k on my pc. And, my xbox has the xodus/matrix chip with the EvoX2.6 bios. I am also trying to get the EvolutionX 1.8.2812 to work.

Thanks for all the replies.

#6 Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 02:09 PM

I#ve got the same problem as Bjorn.
What I'm trying to do now is to burn an evox CS wit the correct ini.
THe problem is that I don't know how to use dummies in my iso so it grows bigger.
How do I do that?
And do I need to do that?

thanks,
Tyler

#7 archon76

archon76

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 08 December 2002 - 03:58 AM

QUOTE (Bjorn @ Dec 7 2002, 10:07 AM)
I'm pretty sure the cross cable works. The weird thing is that when "static ip: yes" was set to "no", the ip in "System Utils", "Settings", "IP" on the top in blue was 0.0.0.0. I am going to try another crossover cable to check if that is the problem.

Are there any other problems with my setup? Will the router cause any problems(ex. firewalls)?

Other information: I am running win2k on my pc. And, my xbox has the xodus/matrix chip with the EvoX2.6 bios. I am also trying to get the EvolutionX 1.8.2812 to work.

Thanks for all the replies.

Keep in mind if you are booting from a CD the setting have to be already set in the EVOX.INI file. Even if you make changes in the settings portion of EVOX it will be lost.

If the EVOX screen is indicating a Link your crossover is probably OK.

Just make a new boot CD with the settings already in the EVOX.INI.

#8 archon76

archon76

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 08 December 2002 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE (Tyler Durden @ Dec 7 2002, 01:09 PM)
I#ve got the same problem as Bjorn.
What I'm trying to do now is to burn an evox CS wit the correct ini.
THe problem is that I don't know how to use dummies in my iso so it grows bigger.
How do I do that?
And do I need to do that?

thanks,
Tyler

If you can get the CD to boot you do not need to pad the iso.

Padding can be anything that makes the iso larger. You can use any file, I usally name the files padding.

#9 Bjorn

Bjorn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 03:32 AM

Problem solved!

People going from cable modem -> ROUTER -> computer -> xbox...

I could not get this setup to work. I changed my setup to
cable modem -> router -> computer AND
cable modem -> router -> xbox

Not sure of the problem with the first setup. Maybe some of my dns, gateway, IPs were wrong or cross cable not working. But switched cross over to regular and hooked up xbox to router and everything good to go! biggrin.gif

Hope this helps anyone else having this problem.

#10 archon76

archon76

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 04:50 AM

QUOTE (Bjorn @ Dec 9 2002, 02:32 AM)
Problem solved!

People going from cable modem -> ROUTER -> computer -> xbox...

I could not get this setup to work. I changed my setup to
cable modem -> router -> computer AND
cable modem -> router -> xbox

Not sure of the problem with the first setup. Maybe some of my dns, gateway, IPs were wrong or cross cable not working. But switched cross over to regular and hooked up xbox to router and everything good to go! biggrin.gif

Hope this helps anyone else having this problem.

Thats why my first question was do you have a link? wink.gif

At least you have it working

#11 Bjorn

Bjorn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 08:00 PM

Thanks archon. But surprisingly, I still had a link when I went from:
cable modem-> Regular ethernet cord -> ROUTER -> Regular ethernet cord -> computer -> Cross-over cable -> xbox

It said I would have a link and an IP, but when I tried to ping the IP, I would get no response from it.

I tried almost everything when I had my XBox connected to my computer. Switching ethernet cards, changing the IPs, changing DNS(even though you're not suppose to). Don't know why it never worked. I think its maybe due to the router as my first connection unless someone has gotten that to work.

Hopefully someone else has/had teh same problem and will find this thread helpful. I sure did. Thanks archon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users