• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 eobet

eobet

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 10:26 AM

Well, I'm a total newbie (haven't even bought a Xbox yet... I'm debating wheter to get the Crystal edition, or not).

So, I've heard that the Xbox controllers are really USB, but some genious at MS decided to make the sockets incomatible. Is that true?

A few people talk about using USB keyboard, but... they have to do mods to get it working? Is there an official keyboard for the Xbox?

Now to games. I guess it's impossible to get a Logitech Wheel working on the Xbox currently (the one which works on both PC and PS2). But is there any chance that some time in the future, the PC drivers for that wheel could be ported to Xbox and get it running in games like, Project Gotham Racing 2, for example?

Also, I have a keyboard and mouse for my Dreamcast, I guess mouse can be hooked up easily to a PS2 as well, but how about a mouse for the Xbox? (I guess no games support that either, but what about emulators?)

#2 xPRimNT

xPRimNT

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 04 February 2004 - 12:12 PM

Regarding the USB question, yes, the xbox controller port is *basically* a USB port. It has been changed around, and light gun compatability has been added. But in its basic form, it does the same thing as a USB port. Of course, MS doesnt want to make turning their product into a computer easy, so its slightly changed around. You can get around it either by doing the mods listed in the tutorial section, or check out lik-sang.com. I think i saw a USB adapter there at one point.

As for your logitech wheel...

Again, check out lik-sang.com. They have a PS2 to Xbox converter, and it could possibly be used to hook up PGR2 with a wheel.

Good luck!

#3 eobet

eobet

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 06:12 AM

Yup, lik-sang had an adapter, thanks. I think I'll wait with it until more applications support keyboard and mouse, though.

The wheel, however, wouldn't work with a PS2 to Xbox adapter. See, it's pure USB (as I said, the same wheel works on both PC and PS2).

That is why I asked if there is any possibility that the Windows drivers could be ported to the Xbox and make it work like the Xbox wheel?

I guess wheels aren't that popular on the Xbox, since I believe only one exists? (Both the Dreamcast and the PS2 has at least three different models to select from.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users