Photo

Does The Airport Security Scanner Mess Up Xbox Hd?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 rimmi2002

rimmi2002

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 12:32 AM

I am taking my xbox with me while I travel...and I wanted to know if it passes through the security checks at the airports will that mess up the hd? I know labtops can't go through because for one thing for sure there screens will get messed up but I am not sure about the Hd anyone know?

#2 Klatu

Klatu

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 February 2004 - 12:35 AM

now there's a dedicated gamer ohmy.gif

#3 Trevante

Trevante

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,929 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 05 February 2004 - 12:36 AM

i wouldn't think so, but it's better to be safe and tell them you don't want to put your xbox through the machine because of the radiation from the security scanner. They probably won't, but if they do, be prepared to open it up if they ask you to.

#4 X2Gamer

X2Gamer

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 05 February 2004 - 12:55 AM

Securtity is tough nowadays so I don't think they'll let you take the xbox without going through the scanners.

#5 SICKdimension

SICKdimension

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts
  • Interests:TO IM ME, STATE YOUR REASON, DON'T JUST SAY "HEY R U THERE?"
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 February 2004 - 01:00 AM

So has anyone taken their xbox in a plane? I'm curious about the scanners too.

#6 Trevante

Trevante

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,929 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 01:05 AM

well, just to be safe, put your stock HDD in the xbox before you get to the airport. be sure to have backups of your C and E drives tho.

#7 X2Gamer

X2Gamer

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 05 February 2004 - 01:07 AM

just curious, but what's the worst that can happen? Can't you just reformatt it if worst comes to worst.

Edited by X2Gamer, 05 February 2004 - 01:07 AM.

#8 Trevante

Trevante

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,929 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 01:08 AM

yes, he could, but then all his stuff would be erased.

#9 shamo316

shamo316

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 01:23 AM

ya and all those games he........... rolleyes.gif "backed up" rolleyes.gif will be erased............lol tongue.gif beerchug.gif

#10 ChrisF

ChrisF

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 01:28 AM

Laptops go through all the time. They make you take them out of your briefcase (along with cellphone and PDA), place them in a separate bin, and send them through. No harm. Film can go through too.

Checked luggage actually gets hit much harder. Do not take film exposed film through here. Checked computers should be fine though (although admittedly I carry my laptop on and have never checked it as a test but there shouldn't be an issue).

As someone who's taken a laptop on many flights (both Pre and Post 9/11) - don't sweat it.

You could also do the rational thing and call the airline - just tell them it's a computer so they don't get confused and think an Xbox is some other technology that may get hurt.

#11 royalk4

royalk4

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 01:43 AM

you're xbox will be fine and so would your laptop. I have taken my laptop every time I travel and it works great. The same w/ the xbox. It works fine, even after going through the scanners. If they could mess up your hd then I don't think that would be all that would be messed up. And they would have to readjust the scanners I'm sure. Have fun on the trip biggrin.gif

#12 rimmi2002

rimmi2002

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 02:56 AM

anyone taken their xbox through the airport scanners before? I mean as a carryon...not cargo.

Edited by rimmi2002, 05 February 2004 - 02:57 AM.

#13 ChrisF

ChrisF

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 03:38 AM

QUOTE (rimmi2002 @ Feb 5 2004, 04:56 AM)
anyone taken their xbox through the airport scanners before? I mean as a carryon...not cargo.

Read my answer and the next one (the two right above yours). Laptops are fine for carry on. A laptop is a computer - has a harddrive (very similar components to Xbox - go fuckin figure). You are fine - both of us told you so. I brought up cargo because the scanners there (the ones you don't see) are ten times worse than the ones used for carry on. What is it that you want to hear? Leave the damn xbox at home, you'll rest easier.

Edited by ChrisF, 05 February 2004 - 03:39 AM.

#14 rimmi2002

rimmi2002

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 03:54 AM

dyam man chill out i wouldn't want you to have a heart attack over answering questions in the forum thx for the help though.

#15 ChrisF

ChrisF

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 04:05 AM

QUOTE (rimmi2002 @ Feb 5 2004, 05:54 AM)
dyam man chill out i wouldn't want you to have a heart attack over answering questions in the forum thx for the help though.

It's cool - I just get irritated when multiple people provide in depth answers to a poster's question, the poster fails to read carefully and asks the same question again as if he didn't even see the answers. The being said things here get complicated by people who insist on answering a question and have no idea what the answer is - tends to obscure the good information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users