#1 ZWinFlame

ZWinFlame

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 12:33 AM

Hi all,
I've gone through the help forum to find the serial number to probably find a Samsung drive. Last week I modded a friends XBOX and he got a Samsung. Now I've sold my xbox and wanna buy a new one preferrably with with the Samsung Drive. I would really appreciate your help in helping me find a Samsung Lot I should look for.

Ok these are my findings !!!

* XBOX from Houston Galleria Best Buy, has the holiday pack with tetris worlds game. Probably has the Samsung, since I got one for a friend last week.

* XBOX from NJ, it has the new plain boxes, they say its the new lot.

OK so now I live in NJ and am going to houston tomorrow for some work. Can someone help me quick as to what lot and serial should I look for to get a Samsung !!

Realllly appreciate your help guys!!

#2 The Juggler

The Juggler

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 01:37 AM

Well, what I do is I go to a place like EB Games, and I make them open the package, plug it in and eject the tray. Then I know if it's a Samsung or not...
If it's not, I ask them to get another one to check...

NOTE: You usually have to be really nice to the clerk, and then they're willing to help you out. OR You can also ask what their return policy is,(usually, it's full refund within 14 - 30 days or so) and explain that you'll just keep returning the xboxes until you end up with one that is a samsung.

#3 Klatu

Klatu

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 February 2004 - 01:43 AM

from what i gathered you can't tell the dvdrom by the serial # alone. the last 2 digits will tell you some info on what NOT to get... if the last 2 digits are 03, you have a 1.0 with a thompson drive guaranteed (what i'm stuck with), if the last 2 digits are 02, it's a 1.0 and 1.1 (which i think were thompson and old phillips) and the last 2 digits being 05 will be a china xbox which ranges from 1.1-1.5 but no telling which drive is in it.

i'd do what the gentleman above said to do. i'm about to go to ebgames and get a box that way then sell my 1.0 thompson pos on ebay

Edited by Klatu, 06 February 2004 - 02:23 AM.

#4 ZWinFlame

ZWinFlame

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 02:06 AM

Hey thanks guys.. I guess, I can do that with best buy too. I don't think they should charge a restocking fee. !

Any one has experiences with the new XBOX Generic Box purchase (The new ones)

Edited by ZWinFlame, 06 February 2004 - 02:08 AM.

#5 ZWinFlame

ZWinFlame

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 03:31 PM

The last two digits of my friends xbox with a samsung is 06 - China
Even the Product ID's last two digits is 06

Is there a place for serials where I can look for similarities like we had with earlier recommendations?

#6 chewyy01

chewyy01

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 07 February 2004 - 08:37 PM

This is part of my serial it is the Halo Midtown Madness 3 Package in the shops now in the UK it has the Samsung Drive it begins: 211 and ends: 34205
Excellent drive reads CD-Rs tested DVD-Rs all brands but some of the cheapers discs makes the drive vibrate quite loud haven't tested any other media but sure it reads all discs. But some discs I think stress the laser because it does'nt sound too safe when the drive is making the whole console shake the table.

#7 ZWinFlame

ZWinFlame

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 03:13 PM

Thanks all. I'm in the US.

OK This is what I did. I took the serial number of my friend who got his xbox 2 weeks ago. Went over to the same Best Buy where he got his.

Then took two similar dates / Serial xboxes and requested the Customer Service, that I would like to purchase one of the consoles I'm holding. Then opened the first one and plugged it in and ejected the drive. N' it was a SAMSUMG DVD drive!!! According to the two holes in the tutorial diagram here on the scene.

I do believe that most of the drives here are Samsung Indeed, however this is just my speculation ! ! !

I haven't really confirmed it, since I haven't pop opened the console yet!

Thanks all. Now.. However I'm still awaiting the shipment for xecuter 2.3 b pro.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users