• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sound1992

sound1992

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 08:13 AM

Has anybody here successfully ripped Prince of Persia POP2 folder to HD? I get a Dirty Disc error everytime I try and run POP2. POP1 works fine. To clarify, I'm asking about the little retro Prince of Persia 2 game embedded within, not the main Sands of Time game. And before you ask, yes, I've already patched all XBE's.

Perhaps POP2 will only run without the media check applied? Can anybody test this?

#2 chefelf

chefelf

Brandishing the Triforce of Modding

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Web Design, Writing, Cycling, Hardware Modification, Building Computers, Music
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 February 2004 - 02:05 PM

Do a search of the forums. I think I remember someone talking about a fix for this a month or two ago.

#3 sound1992

sound1992

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 02:50 PM

I did do a search before posting and went through ALL of the threads containing "Prince" or "Persia", including these two which are the closest yet

http://forums.xbox-s...opic=141395&hl=

http://forums.xbox-s...opic=157420&hl=

But neither of them has a fix.

I have all IGRs turned off, X2 4981, and the game was ripped using DVD2XBOX 0.53, with the POP1 and POP2 default.xbe files later patched using Craxtion.

Anybody?

#4 sound1992

sound1992

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 08:37 PM

As an update, I have confirmed what I suspected all along...

POP2 is only bootable from within The Sands of Time main game menu. I plopped in the original Sands of Time disk, opened up Boxexplorer, browsed over to POP2, and executed DEFAULT.XBE. A few seconds later I get the dirty disc error on the original disk.

So I ran the backup copy on my HDD and booted up the Sands of Time main menu. I already tried previously to browse to the POP2 folder on my HD, but it gave me a dirty disc error. However, when I choose POP2 from within The Sands of Time menu (after d/l a completed game save from xboxsaves) POP2 loaded fine without any errors.

Did the same thing on my backup DVDR copy. When I browse over and try to execute POP2 by itself, I get the dirty disc error. But if I call it from within the Sands of Time main menu, all is well.

So it looks like we won't be able to copy just POP2 and start it up by itself. From previous postings a few people claimed they did it, but given what I saw here I highly doubt it. Anybody have a fix for this?

#5 Kthulu

Kthulu

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 07 February 2004 - 09:03 PM

However, when I choose POP2 from within The Sands of Time menu (after d/l a completed game save from xboxsaves) POP2 loaded fine without any errors.

i have never played POP SOT, but from what you've said, it sounds like you have to beat SOT before you can play POP2 (or at least beat a certain level)...

perhaps it was the game-save that made it work. did you try loading it from boxplorer after you downloaded the game-save?

#6 sound1992

sound1992

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 09:07 PM

Yes I did. After I d/l the saved completed game from xboxsaves, I tried to launch from boxexplorer POP2 from the original disk, the HDD, and the backup disk. All three came back with the same dirty disc error. Bear in mind that POP1 does not have the same dirty disc problem.

#7 Kthulu

Kthulu

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 09:13 PM

also...
I have all IGRs turned off, X2 4981, and the game was ripped using DVD2XBOX 0.53, with the POP1 and POP2 default.xbe files later patched using Craxtion.

did you rip the game before you got the X2 4981 bios? just asking cause i want to make sure you know that since X2 4977, you don't have to patch games anymore.

unless you plan on taking your backup over to a friend who is running 4976 or less...you might need to manually patch then

#8 Kthulu

Kthulu

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 09:20 PM

Yes I did. After I d/l the saved completed game from xboxsaves, I tried to launch from boxexplorer POP2 from the original disk, the HDD, and the backup disk. All three came back with the same dirty disc error. Bear in mind that POP1 does not have the same dirty disc problem.

whatever works i guess, but i can't think of why it would act that way. if it's not looking for something in the game-saves, maybe the POP SOT menu calls the POP2 default.xbe with some command-line args or something...args that it won't get from boxplorer...args that if they are missing, causes the prog to bomb...

if anyone can confirm/deny my theory, i'd love to hear...

#9 sound1992

sound1992

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 03:30 AM

didn't know that x2 4977 and up no longer requires patching of games...good info. i suppose it's still better to patch them nonetheless.

i dont know about your theory...what i'd be more interested in is if somebody did actually rip POP2 and was able to run it from say evox or boxexplorer or some other file manager, or even if they can run POP2 straight from the original disk directly.

#10 Kthulu

Kthulu

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 01:24 PM

if my theory is correct, all you'd have to do is find out what commandline args it wants.

second theory: if it is wanting commandline args, the arg it wants is prolly the return path...the path to the xbe it should load when you exit POP2.

i doubt the path would be in the form of:
c:\evox\evoxdash.xbe

but prolly like:

\hardisk0\partition0\evox\evoxdash.xbe

(i doubt that is correct, but it's just an illustration)

#11 quall

quall

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 March 2004 - 12:10 PM

the problem is common with me as well. Tried off the hdd, and now just tried off the original disk. No luck. Haven't tried in game, but it probably would work.

#12 Dai_UK

Dai_UK

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 02:29 PM

The UK POP only has POP1 not POP2 !!!

We've been ripped off again ! sad.gif

Pop 1 runs from Boxplorer / MXM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users