Photo

Can Xbox Parts Be Moved To Other Xboxes?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ben999_

Ben999_

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 09 December 2002 - 09:19 AM

Hey i have a problem. Somehow i fried the usb daughterboard riser when i was trying to make an internal usb port. I soldered all the wires according to the correct pins on the back of the board with a 15watt iron and there were no bridges. I got the error 12: contact MS your box is damaged or some shit. The LED blinks red and green sad.gif . Well i modded the jewel and did the controller reset switch so i really can't take it directly back to EB, even though i still have the 14 day warrantly for at least another week. I dont want to give up my hard work, mainly the lit jewel. I was thinking of buying another xbox from walmart and doing a swap but also swapping the hard drive so i can keep some of the music i ripped. Also, i was wondering if i found a samsung drive or something in the new box, could i swap it with the philips one currently in the broken one? Should everything work in conjunction with one another if i was to switch som stuff? Otherwise i am going to have to repaint the jewl green and take out the LED's so it looks like stock. I dont wanna do that though. Any help or suggestions?

#2 Hammy

Hammy

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 09 December 2002 - 11:41 AM

If you only want to swap the dvd drive then all is well.

You can not swap the hard drive or motherboard as the motherboard and hard drive are password protected together

Good luck bro jester.gif

#3 Wong Hung Lo

Wong Hung Lo

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Interests:Modding my Sampo DVD players,Tivo, ReplayTV and my Xbox.<br /><br />Being a soldering elitists :)
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 09 December 2002 - 05:20 PM

You could always buy a blown up Xbox from Ebay. There are lots of Xbox's up for bid that some bozos that can't solder had lifted the traces trying to put a mod chip in.

#4 andreo

andreo

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 06:30 PM

It sounds like you just need to buy another controller and take it back. Then the work your doing on the controller doesn't matter. Also how does the warranty stickers look on the bottom of the broken system? If they're in tact then there shouldn't be a problem at all.
As for switching out systems. From what I've read most of the systems out on the shelves now are 1.1 systems. I don't think they have the USB riser cards in them any more. So you wouldn't be able to just take a good card from it. You would have to swap the entire guts or the entire unit.
And as for switching parts, you can swap the drives with no problem. But the hard drive is married to the motherboard. Its a shame the current system is dead. You could have snatched the EEPROM image off it in case you have any XB Live problems.

#5 Ben999_

Ben999_

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 09:16 PM

thanks for the info. It was actually a refurbished one that had the one sticker already poked through and the other sticker just had a whole new sticker slapped over the hole, so that will be my excuse. I think that i will be better off just repainting the jewel green and taking it back to EB, but i only have green paint that is a little darker and i have to brush it on but it is better than transparent cuz they will notice it. I'm pretty sure the warranty covers anything and everything so i should be ok, i hope. Also i will have to buy a new controller and replace the other one. Also, what are they gonna do if they find out about it? Jack shit. I'll just go to walmart.

Edited by Ben999_, 09 December 2002 - 09:22 PM.

#6 Ben999_

Ben999_

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 05:15 AM

Well it was a success. I took it back to EB. I just printed out the xbox green on to a piece of paper and taped it behind the jewel and it looked pretty good. I also just taped a piece of black electrical tape onto the hole in the controller. But it wouldn't have mattered anyway because the guy didn't even look in the box. MS will get a nice surprise when they open up that thing. anyway, thanks for the help. Oh yeah i also picked up on of the Nyko air flow controllers with the fan in it. very nice.

#7 MangoLito

MangoLito

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 December 2002 - 05:20 AM

LOL that shit is funny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users