itzkid

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 February 2004 - 01:05 AM

Here's the scenario:

My brother bought me an xbox and had his friend mod it, it's got an xecuter chip, an 80 gig drive, and evox dash. I've had no information on whether the dvd drive has been changed or what model the xecuter chip is. After reading I'm 90% sure I have the xecuter 2.0 pro and I think the dvd drive is stock.

Just the other day I went and bought an xbox live subscription, because I was told I could and I've read in numerous tutorials that it's possible. So I turned my chip off and registered my new subscription. It let me go through the whole registration process, but when I tried to access xbox live from the ms dash it said there's was a problem and I could trouble shoot my network, ( I'm positive all my network settings are correct ). It would work fine when I trouble shooted it, but when I tried accessing it from the ms dash or through a game it told me something was wrong and to try again later. So I tried again the following day, and then it started saying that I can't access live because my hardware / software might have been modified. I knew obviously I've been banned.

I bought a new eeprom from someone else on these forums who has sold quite a few of them and read about team xecuter that doesn't let you access live with a modchip on. So I flashed my bios, and even had the eject light red so I know for sure when my modchip is on / off. I then used config magic and installed the new eeprom. I'm sure I did this all correctly ( I'm a software engineer myself ), the network settings in the msdash were changed and my live account wasn't listed ( as I expected with the new eeprom ). So with the modchip off I recovered my account, and the same exact scenario happened yesterday, and now today it's telling me my hardware/software my have been modified.

I don't know if maybe is has something to do with the files on the harddrive because they seemed a tad odd. On the c drive for xbe files there's:
evoxdash.xbe - 10.1kb
msxboxdash.xbe - 1.32mb
xboxdash.xbe - 1.83mb
yboxdash.xbe - 680kb

Like I said I had nothing to do with installing anything because it was a gift ( I wish they would've left it up to me to do ). So I was wondering if anyone else experienced a similar problem and knew why, or if they knew something else besides having a modchip on that triggers live to ban you?

#2 shanafan

shanafan

He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,527 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 11 February 2004 - 01:09 AM

I don't know what being a software engineer and using Configmagic have to do with eachother, but oh well..

Maybe the EEPROM you purchased, was purchased by somebody else too, and they got it banned. Who knows

If you are sure your modchip is properly turning off (best to use a colormod BIOS), then it has to be the situation I said above.

#3 itzkid

itzkid

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 01:20 AM

just stated I was a software engineer, to let you know I'm not just some random moron.

As far as the eeprom being sold to someone else and having been banned already, I bought it from Zodiak, who as far as I can see has had no other complaints, so I don't see why that would be the case. As for being sure my mod chips off, I've tried accessing live with it on now that I'm already banned to see if the new bios would work as it's supposed too. There's a huge time difference, when it's on it errors almost immediately when I try ( like it's supposed to ). When it's off it takes about 20-30 seconds to tell me I've been banned.

#4 Zodiiak

Zodiiak

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 11 February 2004 - 04:00 PM

I know for a fact the eeprom I sent you is solid because it was from a box I had just modded that day. Unless, somehow the eeprom on his box was no good, that could be the only way it wouldn't work.

Maybe the EEPROM you purchased, was purchased by somebody else too, and they got it banned. Who knows

Impossible, I don't even have a copy of the eeprom I sent you on my HD, I would have to check my Archived sent mails.

You told me the following in our emails, while you were testing the eeprom:

But
like I said it's acting just like it was before when I got banned, so I
turned the modchip on and then tried to access live and it instantly said
there was some sort of error

Obviously if you have the Modchip on, and then tried to access live, YOU WILL GET AN ERROR FOR A MODIFIED XBOX.

You should've never tried getting on live with the Modchip on, because that defeats the whole purpose of troubling shooting if it was in fact a Configuration issue. I've seen so many damn people make stupid mistakes with installing an eeprom it's ridiculous. At times I get spammed mail in my inbox with people at first complaining and whining about the eeprom not working, and in the final email, they apologize for their multiple emails to find that the eeprom did in fact work, and it was just some misplaced step or some other issue that they missed compeletely.

Had I suspected that the eeprom was in fact not good, after you trouble shooted correctly, and I realized you were not trying to abuse my services (as some people in the past have done), I would have easily replaced it, and tried a new one with you (as I have done in the past, see my thread for reviews). But you accessed live with your modchip on, while using the new eeprom. Therefore, that defeated the entire purpose of using the new eeprom.

I have nothing else to say except people should CAREFULLY read instructions and do some research before complaining and throwing accusations.

Regards,

Zodiak

#5 itzkid

itzkid

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 07:13 PM

Zodiak you're making some really poor assumptions, I already stated that I didn't think the eeprom was bad because now I've been banned twice WITH MY MOD CHIP OFF. lemme spell this out for you too, I DIDN'T ACCESS LIVE WITH MY MOD CHIP ON UNTIL I WAS ALREADY BANNED, THAT WASN'T THE CAUSE AND THE NEW BIOS WORKED AS IT WAS SUPPOSED, PREVENTING ME FROM EVEN GETTING CLOSE TO ACCESSING LIVE. The error with the modchip on is: can't access live try again later. The error with it off is: can't access live because hardware / software may have been modified. with it on it takes less then a second to pop up an error ( LIKE THE NEW BIOS IS SUPPOSED TOO ) and with it off it takes 20-30 seconds to connect to live.

I don't know how many more different ways you want me to explain that to you, yet I'm still banned.

#6 Zodiiak

Zodiiak

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 09:29 PM

I didn't make any poor assumptions. You have to put yourself in my situation, as an eeprom seller. My entire thread is heavily dependant on keeping my reputation clean. The very second any ONE person begins to claim or say the eeprom was no good, I MUST defend myself. Which is exactly why I save all email's and out going email's for any claims I see to tarnish myself as a reputable seller.

Your post may in fact have meant well, in that you did NOT mean to say the eeprom I gave you was invalid. You could have very well meant that you know for a fact the eeprom was good, but for reasons unknown it did not. However:

Whatever you thought was the reason for not getting on live, DOES NOT MATTER, other people will read this thread, see my name, and POSSIBLY be skeptical, and will undoubtly assume the worst. This of course should not be so, but that is the way people DO think, especially with eeprom's.

There's a number of ways and reasons why an eeprom could not be working properly, and why some people are still unable to connect. But as a seller, I automatically become liable for any type of unsuccuessful consequences.

Therefore, regardless of what your intentions were (seemingly well), I HAVE to reply and defend myself.

NOTE: There was no need to send me email containing vulgarity, especially after I have been researching why you are unable to connect. And regarding this:

Now I'm thoroughly frustrated with you making poor assumptions and
being banned without anyone being able to give me an explanation because I'm
sure my modchip was off

You know the reason why I posted a response now, but as for being frustated with others for not giving you an explanation. That's cold-hearted. This is a site where people offer you help, tutorials and instructions, FREE OF CHARGE. Asking nothing in return, you have no reason to be frustrated with others. Some people just can't explain the occurrence, and can only offer suggested reasons (you are not the only person who has said their mod chip was off and they were banned for no reason).

As for getting you back on live, I have not abandoned you at all. I just need to ask you a few questions to see if it is some kind of technical issue.

Regards,

ZODIAK

#7 itzkid

itzkid

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 12:37 AM

Okay now try to understand my position. I've already stated all the precautions I've taken to make sure my xbox didn't access live with my modchip on, and stated why I'm sure I was banned while it was off, my message was misleading and for that I appologize, I'm not frustrated with not getting an explanation I'm frustrated with being told I'm banned for accessing live with my modchip on which I've already explained numerous times that's not the case.

How ever to clear things up, I'm as certain as I can be that the eeprom I recieved from zodiiak was clean, the only reason I mentioned his name was to show I recieved it from a respectable seller, and that recieving an already banned eeprom was probably not the case. Zodiak is a stand up guy and I would advise buying an eeprom from him if you're in need.

But I hope you can understand my frustration when I'm sure I followed the directions very carefully and executed them correctly, but I'm being told I haven't, if no one has an explanation then fine, but don't tell me I've done something I haven't.

p.s. I'm also quite sure it's not a network configuration error.

Edited by itzkid, 12 February 2004 - 12:47 AM.

#8 itzkid

itzkid

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 02:08 AM

Also just today my brother has the same chip I have and the same hd, he had a problem where when he tried to turn his modchip off it said his xbox needed to be serviced so I went over there locked his hd for him, turned his chip off and setup his xbox live account, and his works fine. So like I've said I followed the tutorials and instructions correctly but I've been banned twice. Any help would be appreciated.

#9 Zodiiak

Zodiiak

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 02:20 AM

Thanks for clearing that up even further laugh.gif

Maybe you should try loading your brother's eeprom on your XBOX to see if it will work. There is a risk of course that it will be banned if there is something odd going around, but this will serve as a good test.

#10 itzkid

itzkid

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 12:36 AM

Yea I thought about that, but he won't even let me load my live account on his xbox because he's afraid they tagged my account ( which I know they don't do ), so yea that's out of the question. I'm still baffeled why mine has been banned twice, and I still think those 4 xbe files are odd ( the yboxdash.xbe - 680kb anyways ).

#11 shanafan

shanafan

He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 01:10 AM

Having yboxdash.xbe (which dash is that for you anyways?) will no ZERO effect on whether MS will ban you are not. When the modchip is off, only xboxdash.xbe will load.

#12 itzkid

itzkid

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 02:40 AM

Well I would agree with you there if I haven't already been banned twice with my modchip off, as for which dash that is, I haven't got a clue, that's a file that appeared only after I tried to get on live ( I think ). I'm also not sure if the msdash was named xboxdash.xbe before I tried to access ( it had to have been though if it loaded with the default bios right? ).

Is it possible to just completely whipe the xbox live files from the hd and get a new copy of the msdash so that I can try again with a clean eeprom, or do you think that's just a waste of time? and if it is possible which files would I be removing?

Edited by itzkid, 13 February 2004 - 02:43 AM.

#13 shanafan

shanafan

He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 02:44 AM

Is it possible to just completely whipe the xbox live files from the hd and get a new copy of the msdash so that I can try again with a clean eeprom, or do you think that's just a waste of time?

It's worth a shot. But, once an EEPROM is banned, it's banned.

BTW, Live will not generate a file called yboxdash.xbe after getting banned. That is a file that you put on there. It is called that way, because before modified BIOSES, you had to name the MS dash that so your EvolutionX dash (renamed to xboxdash.xbe) would load with the modchip on.

#14 itzkid

itzkid

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 03:12 AM

right I understand that, I also know I can get a clean eeprom to try it with, I just don't know where that dash file came from because like i said this xbox was a gift from my brother it came premodded. So I was wondering if the dash files were possibly named incorrectly when I got them and I didn't know and maybe caused a bad update.

#15 sloney03

sloney03

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 03:34 AM

okay here my thoughts. Ive banned twice now with mod chip of also and the file yboxdash.xbe is a file put in after a download of the new xbox live dashboard is done. i think that MS has found a way to look at your xbox harddrive for for certain things to see if its beed modified.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users