6 replies to this topic

#1 massiv attak

massiv attak

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 03:58 PM

Hi,
I am extremely happy with my xbox and have no desire to change it in any way apart from the joypad. Being a PC gamer for many years I am missing my keyboard and mouse, is there anyway I can get a keyboard and mouse to work on a standard xbox. If anyone can give me any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

#2 cap269

cap269

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 11 February 2004 - 04:06 PM

Short answer, not really.

Longer answer, with a retail Xbox, no. However, with a modchip you can do many things. Although game interfaces are not set up to read keyboard inputs so they are not going to be playable with a keyboard, even on a box with a mod chip. This is due to the software itself not using the information being input by the keyboard. A modded xbox with a keyboard and mouse is able to do many things, like surf the web (hey, it's like free WebTV!) after installing Xbox Linux, of course...

#3 massiv attak

massiv attak

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 04:32 PM

ok, but Ive got me PC for surfing and other stuff, would it be possible to strip down a controller and use the inputs from it to make a K+M?

#4 cap269

cap269

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 11 February 2004 - 04:46 PM

The controller ports are USB. If you get a USB / Xbox converter cable (either buy one or make one, info available here on X-S) you can connect both a USB keyboard and USB mouse to your box. I have both on my box which I use with Xbox Linux. They are just the standard 'off-the-shelf' PC keyboard and mouse with homemade adapters, and work great.

The problem remains that the games are not designed to read keyboard inputs and do anything with them. So aside from the occasional arrow key moving the pointer, you won't really be able to play any games with a kbd and mouse. Sorry.

#5 massiv attak

massiv attak

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 06:34 PM

ok thanks lads just have to keep looking and trying might pull me spare controller to pieces see what I can butcher up.

#6 massiv attak

massiv attak

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 06:34 PM

ok thanks lads just have to keep looking and trying might pull me spare controller to pieces see what I can butcher up.

#7 VBox

VBox

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 06:44 PM

That would be cool if you could use a mouse for some emulated games like Centipede, Tempest, and Kaboom and other track ball and spinner knob games. It would be much better then using the analog sticks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users