10 replies to this topic

#1 Statik001

Statik001

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 05:58 PM

So, I have searched around and around again, and gleamed info here and there, but truthfully, I am thickheaded enough that I just don't get the whole concept of the EEPROM.

What the heck does it do? How does it do that thing it does?

-Is is something that changes over time?
-Is is somthing that you can mod? Why, what would you do to it?
-How is it associated with hard drive locking?
-For that matter, how does hard drive locking work in general? (okay, thats a lazy question, but heck, i'm on a roll)
-What does the EEPROM store?
-Is the EEPROM something exclusive to XBOX, or something in all computers?
-If it is something in all computers, what is different in the xbox one?

Okay, thats probably enough questions. I just have been curious about this alot lately. And now, what with the whole avalaunch debacle, it seems like I should be learning this.

If anyone could explain this, or point me in a direction to learn about this it would be great. It really is the part about XBOX modding that I like best, learning stuff I may not have otherwise cared about back in the days of my formal computer education.

I really hope this topic wasn't redundant, but I just never found any good topics that gave a (semi)extensive overview of what the hell the EEPROM is/does.

#2 The Juggler

The Juggler

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 06:13 PM

The EEPROM is stored on the motherboard of your xbox.
I has the settings for what version of xbox it is, what video region, your MAC address, your online serial number and a couple other things that don't come to mind right now.
Yes, you can edit those details. It's not necessarily recommended...but you can.
Your xbox generates the HD lock/unlock code based on information in your eeprom and your HD serial number. (therefore, if you just put in a new HD, the code generated will be different then the one from a previous HD...same if you use a different eeprom)
Hd's are locked to protect the information. There are 2 parts to locking. There is the actual locking of the hard drive, and there is the lock enabling. When you lock a HD, the lock enabling is typically automatically set to enable. This is what causes the HD to relock once shut down. When you boot the xbox, it will unlock the HD (assuming it can generate the proper lock/unlock code). Then, when you shut it down, the HD relocks itself. If you want it not to relock, you have to first unlock it, and then disable the lock feature.
The program Config Magic is a little confusing on this aspect. (Same with Evox system settings, and other programs I'm sure.) When you run Config Magic, it will say that your HD is Locked. That is NOT true. If it were locked, you wouldn't be able to get any information from it. What IS true, is that the lock function is ENABLED. So that when it shuts down it will lock itself. When you tell Config Magic to unlock a HD, all it really does is DISABLES the lock function. (since the HD is already unlocked at that point...)
I don't know if the EEPROM is exlusive to the Xbox. I've never heard the term used for anything else, and I'm not sure where it originated.

#3 Statik001

Statik001

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 06:46 PM

so unless i actively seek to change it, my EEPROM should be the same now as it was wehn i first got the xbox right?

i say this, because last night i compared my eeprom.bin file from my evox backup before new HD install with a backup i just generated, and they were different. what gives?

#4 The Juggler

The Juggler

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 07:36 PM

The EEPROM.bin file shouldn't have changed. Some of the other backup files might have.

With a new HD, there be a new HD serial number, so the lock code would change.

#5 Statik001

Statik001

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 08:09 PM

Well thank's for the lesson proffessor! That cleared up alot of my questions quite well!

As for the EEPROM.bin file, yeah it is different, but i was just recently using that version of Avaluanch, so I think it may be somehow corrupted, but still un-currupt enough for my xbox to funtion (but it has been erratic ever since). I figured that those other files in the evox backup directory would be different, i just wasn't sure about the eeprom.bin file.

either way, thanks alot.

#6 archmage164

archmage164

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 11 February 2004 - 08:41 PM

hmm not good i just realized that i backed up my eeprom on my stock hd, then later on i reinstalled a new one and may have backed it up again. thats prolly bad. i think i may have ftp'd the backup folder from the stock hd, and i really hope i did now.

#7 Statik001

Statik001

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 02:38 PM

so seeing as how my eeprom.bin file appears to have changed, should i try to put the old one back on this chip?

would this screw up my hd? i have hard drive locking enabled (it seems to have been enabled after i had put avaluanch on my xbox last weekend).

#8 elfey1

elfey1

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:Xbox,(or i wouldnt b here) playing music, going out.

Posted 12 February 2004 - 03:13 PM

i had a mess around with avalaunch a couple of weeks ago and im sure that one of the button combos does something to the eeprom...i cant remember what, or even if i just dreamt it smile.gif but maybe you shud look into that.

#9 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 12 February 2004 - 03:17 PM

EEPROMs are used in most mordern equipment now. all they are is a chip that stores information that can be elctronically altered.
Stands for Electonically erasable programmable read only memory.
Different types can store different amounts of information. Most types can be easily programmed from a programmer.
Everytime we repair something with an eeprom we take it out of the equipment and read of the contenets and save them in a suitably labelled file. Makes it easy if you then get on with corrupt contents to just re-prog it.

Edited by Chancer, 12 February 2004 - 03:18 PM.

#10 Statik001

Statik001

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 05:10 PM

wait wait wait wait!

does installing xbox live change your eeprom? because This Site seems to indicate that it does.

in that case, that would be what is responsible for the differences in my old evox backup eeprom.bin file and the one i just generated. the old one was from before i added xbox live to my xbox...

or am i making an error here?

#11 Statik001

Statik001

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 08:16 PM

i really want to make an eeprom recovery bios for my xbox.

should i use the eeprom.bin file from before adding xbox live and adding a new HD, or should i use the most recent one that appears to have changed.

if i use the old one, will things fusk up? thats the one i am leaning to, but i worry that it would affect xbox live. or does the change in my eeprom have nothing to do with xbox live and everything to do with something else (like having used avaluanch)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users