• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wearyourscars

wearyourscars

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 07:48 PM

I had just finished installing an 80 gig drive in my box and was connecting the wires from the chip to the external module (xecuter 2.2 lite solderless). When I went to put the connector into the external module, I broke the connector on the module. Will my chip still work? I realize that I can buy a new module, but the place that I ordered the chip seems to have vanished. I really wanted to format my new drive and be up and running in a couple days.

#2 MPhillips

MPhillips

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 07:56 PM

I am pretty sure that if you unplug the module that it is set to default on!

#3 The Juggler

The Juggler

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 07:57 PM

Nope. It won't work without it. Unless like the thread by RapBoy you want to cut the wires and figure out how to connect them to get it to work....

#4 wearyourscars

wearyourscars

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 07:59 PM

So, what is it, am i screwed until i get a new module, or will it work because it is by default on? And where will I be able to find a new external module?

Edited by wearyourscars, 11 February 2004 - 08:03 PM.

#5 The Juggler

The Juggler

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 08:11 PM

Maybe there's a difference in the Lite vs. Pro, but the Pro is off by default. And, I really can't imagine that it would be ON by default. It'd be like removing your light switch, but the lights would be on by default. That's just plain silly.

Well, theorehtically, it is just 2 switches and a light on that module. So, with 5 wires, I'd assume that 2 are for the power switch (by connecting these, it should enable the switch), and 2 more are probably for the bios bank selection switch (so, this would probably work connected or not...depending on how you set your bios up), and the 5th would probably be a ground. I'd also make the assumption that the 2 that are paired are going to be right next to each other. (of course, you'd have to cut off the connector to do this....) Your best bet is to wait for a new module....

#6 wearyourscars

wearyourscars

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 08:13 PM

Actually, it is 3 switches and an LED.

#7 The Juggler

The Juggler

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 08:20 PM

Okay, then there probably is no ground wire (other than the power-ground combo)
The 2 switches (other than on/off) and 3 wires make up the bios selction.

If you can figure out the 2 wires to power the chip (should cause the blue LED on the chip to turn on when powered...if the Lite has an LED on the chip itself), then it'll probably run even with the other 3 wires disconnected.

Keep in mind, this is all hypothesis.... I have no X2.2lite to test this...

EDIT: Okay, I just took a look at the 2.3b module. (If the 2.2 module is just like the 2.3b) One of the switches is for flash protection. So, my theory of the 3 wires for bios select won't work. Still, the chip should work with just the power wires connected. It will just default to bank 0 and probably flash protected.

Edited by The Juggler, 11 February 2004 - 08:27 PM.

#8 wearyourscars

wearyourscars

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 08:36 PM

Well, since I know where the wires connected to the plug that I snapped off, couldn't I just solder them right to the module where the plug used to be? And are you guys 100% sure it will not work without the module? The people I talked to about this here at school seem to think I should not have a problem.

Edited by wearyourscars, 11 February 2004 - 08:39 PM.

#9 The Juggler

The Juggler

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 08:58 PM

I won't say 100% sure it won't work without the module, but the basic functions of a switch would seem to imply that it would not. (Would your lights work if you took out your light switch...and if they did, how would the switch work to turn them off?)
The new X2Pros work without the LPT Flash adapter, but not without the switch module. The old X2Pros wouldn't work without the LPT adapter because the switches were on it.

It won't hurt to try it without the module connected...give it a shot. If it DOES work though, you HAVE to let me know.

If you know where the wires go, then soldering them in would work. They are small points, but if you are comfortable with that....

#10 wearyourscars

wearyourscars

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 09:14 PM

I am under the assumption that the external switch operates in parallel. I do not know a lot about how they work, but that is the way it looks to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users