• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ertai22

ertai22

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 10:49 PM

I've read that the emualtors are very dependant on RAM to run properly. So if the xbox was upgraded to 128MB of RAM would pcsxbox games run more smoothly? Such as moments of FMV or when a lot of action is happening on screen.

#2 cypher35

cypher35

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 12 February 2004 - 10:56 PM

perhaps, but i think the emulators that would mostly benefit from a ram upgrade would be cartrege based or arcade games since they are generally loaded completely into memory.

just imagine how well surreal64 would run *sigh* i just might have to do a memory upgrade someday...

#3 nemt

nemt

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 12 February 2004 - 11:27 PM

Sigh...if only we had access to the NASA facilities, needed to upgrade RAM in the xbox...

jester.gif

#4 Benji99

Benji99

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 02:51 AM

Sigh...if only we had access to the NASA facilities, needed to upgrade RAM in the xbox...

You don't really need special facilities. Someone with a lot of soldering experience, and good soldering iron should be able to do it.

#5 nemt

nemt

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 13 February 2004 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (Benji99 @ Feb 12 2004, 11:51 PM)

You don't really need special facilities. Someone with a lot of soldering experience, and good soldering iron should be able to do it.

The people at NASA are probably good at it, though...you know...they like science and whatnot.

#6 EvilWays

EvilWays

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 13 February 2004 - 05:42 PM

Rocket scientists laugh.gif

#7 Chaz Ashley

Chaz Ashley

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 14 February 2004 - 01:23 AM

QUOTE (ertai22 @ Feb 13 2004, 12:49 AM)
I've read that the emualtors are very dependant on RAM to run properly. So if the xbox was upgraded to 128MB of RAM would pcsxbox games run more smoothly? Such as moments of FMV or when a lot of action is happening on screen.

Well,

considering the PlayStation had about 2 Megs of RAM, I think an additional 64 for the Box wouldn't make any difference, especially since the games don't need to be pre-buffered in the memory like the large arcade-roms because of their cd-based nature. smile.gif

The only way to get smoother-running PSX-games on the XBox would be a port of one of the better emulators (like ePSXe) and the respective plug-ins, but since no sources are available we are out of luck.

Chaz

#8 Lightsier

Lightsier

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 14 February 2004 - 05:19 AM

It depends what's holding the game back. More memory wouldn't do much since console games are programed to be optimzed for a certain amount of memory. As I recall PCSXBox doesn't require the use of virtual memory so I don't see how more memory would speed things up.

PCSXBOX would run alot faster on the 1.4GHz Xboxes though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users