94 replies to this topic

#16 kaisersose77

kaisersose77

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 11:59 AM

im about to an xbox, and i want to know what dvd drive would be the best for it. I have a dvd burner and buy dvd-r as i get them very cheap and never had a problem with them on dvd players. So i want to know what dvd drive is best for dvd-r discs?. As from what i have read here, im confused. I thought thompson drives were meant to be crap until i read here,and i am just wondering are they crap and people are just saying there good because thats the dvd drive they have and they wanna stick up 4 it and say nothing bad about it.

#17 oxjeremy334

oxjeremy334

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,844 posts
  • Interests:Being a Rhinestone Cowboy
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 01 March 2004 - 09:40 PM

You have a Thomson...so you want a new DVD drive huh? Get a lens replacement off of ebay for like $30 (which includes shipping). Type in Thomson Lens and you can get a new one...Why buy a new drive whenever this is cheaper and better than spending $80 or so for a Samsung...Your modified thomson will read all media at 2-5 times the original speed.

#18 drako

drako

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 02 March 2004 - 12:41 PM

soooo... the xbox dvd drives are swappable so long as they are from an xbox even if its not the brand dvd drive meant for your model of xbox? can someone clarify that for me? cause i have a thomson and all i hear are horror stories.

thanks

#19 seriouslysilly

seriouslysilly

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 03 March 2004 - 09:23 PM

Isn't there also a list of what media works with each DVD drive?
I saw it once and can't seem to pinpoint it through the search (hundereds of posts regarding DVD, media, tray, samsung, etc.

#20 digisatman

digisatman

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 07 March 2004 - 07:04 PM

whats all the fuss!

I have a Philips drive which is "Supposed to not be able to read sum media's",

mines plays the cheapest dvd - r and cheapest dvd + r discs that i could find! 49p for 1.

It works PERFECT, even cd-rw etc etc. I have used them for a while and never had 1 problem whether i burn my discs at 4 x, 6x or 8x!

I got a pioneer 107 dvd rw in ma pc so i can burn at 8x!!

Many thanks

Please post!

#21 frank10

frank10

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 03:59 PM

I have a thomson that reads DVD+RWs and CDRWs

It plays DVD movies on DVD-Rs, but doesn't like them otherwise. DVD-RWs do not work.

I haven't tried DVD+Rs.

I have a dual format burner and I prefer the + format, so I lucked out. The only downside is that I have a bunch of avi files burned on DVD-Rs that my box can't read.

#22 Morien

Morien

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 07:35 AM

drako: Yes. You can also put in a PC drive but thats a little more tricky and won't perform the same as the original drive without extra modifying, etc (and only specific drives).

seriouslysilly: They all ended up pointless in the end. Drives read different media. One Samsung could read everything and another could read no DVD+R for example.

digisatman: But what about cd-r? Does it read all the types of that that you throw at it? Not everyone has access to dvd burners or cheap media yet.

Morien

#23 Xerium

Xerium

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE (The LukeMan @ Feb 19 2004, 07:24 PM)
Thomsons suck disc i had one wouldnt let me flash my bios install evox from slayers disc so i bought a samsung thomson suck i tried 15 media of cd-rw !

Thats interesting because i have a thompson drive and reads the cheapest CD-RW's i can find. Dont have a DVD burner so thompson works great.

I was thinking about getting a samsung from a friend but i changed my mind since now all my games are on my HDD and i dont use my DVD drive much at all.

And if anything sucks, its SlaYers...get on the web and figure stuff out yourself dont be a fat lazy slob and dl a prog to put it all on for you.

#24 brahm2

brahm2

Internet Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:I'm an EE student at the UofS in Saskatoon. I love guitar and drinking beer.. sometimes both.
  • 360 version:none

Posted 12 March 2004 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE (Xerium @ Mar 9 2004, 12:20 PM)
And if anything sucks, its SlaYers...

Well, that's just a personal opinion.. I found SlaYers to be an extremely resourceful tool for someone like myself, who doesn't know ALL the technical details.. and just wants to get the Xbox up and running fast smile.gif

#25 chilin_dude

chilin_dude

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 March 2004 - 08:50 PM

I agree though, Thomsons are highly underated. For dvd-r's IMHO they are easily the best and they even read ANY cd-rw that I have ever thrown at them... Whoever says they don't MUST be burning them wrong, now lets not try to get off topic onto slayers but I will anyhow laugh.gif
This is the tool I origionally used and man did it rule!

#26 conc3pt

conc3pt

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 04:43 AM

in my opinion thomsons are better than philips.. had more philips drives go bad on me more times than thomson drives

#27 moep

moep

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 01:54 PM

I've had 5 boxes so far, and in my point of view, the NEW Philips drives are just as good as any of the Samsungs. I'd never want to own a Thomson-Drive again, though. Same thing for the old Philips drives - they were horrible.

The new Philips drives (from the 4th Q of 2003 and on) will read anything I throw at it though - I've tried 6 different CD-RWs, they all worked. I tried 4 different CD-Rs, they all worked. DVD-Rs, DVD-RWs, DVD+Rs, DVD+RWs... they ALL work! The new Philips drives are just as good as the Samsungs, IMHO. I haven't found anything that it won't read so far.

#28 gibbut

gibbut

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 06:45 PM

i have 3 modded boxes in my house, 2 have samsungs and one phillips.

samsungs will play almost anything, phillips is a contankerous peice of crap!

will hardly play anything!!!

troy

#29 phreakffs

phreakffs

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE (moep @ Mar 15 2004, 03:54 PM)
I've had 5 boxes so far, and in my point of view, the NEW Philips drives are just as good as any of the Samsungs. I'd never want to own a Thomson-Drive again, though. Same thing for the old Philips drives - they were horrible.

The new Philips drives (from the 4th Q of 2003 and on) will read anything I throw at it though - I've tried 6 different CD-RWs, they all worked. I tried 4 different CD-Rs, they all worked. DVD-Rs, DVD-RWs, DVD+Rs, DVD+RWs... they ALL work! The new Philips drives are just as good as the Samsungs, IMHO. I haven't found anything that it won't read so far.

How do I identify it? I got mine for christmas 2003, so it could very well be a new phillips!

#30 jaehoodva

jaehoodva

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 03:25 AM

QUOTE (The LukeMan @ Feb 19 2004, 07:24 PM)
Thomsons suck disc i had one wouldnt let me flash my bios install evox from slayers disc so i bought a samsung thomson suck i tried 15 media of cd-rw !

i got a thompson drive too and io cannot flash my bios it is really pissing me off and i realyl odnt want to go an buy a new xbox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users