94 replies to this topic

#31 ibilisi

ibilisi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 12:51 AM

Hey all-

I just bought a new Xbox and It looks like I have the Philips drive.

SHould I return it? I'm looking to mod it out and only use backups while keeping the originals safely tucked away (seriously). So I would like it to read Ritek G04 dvd-r or other medium quality media.

Lemme know if you have a sec.
Thanks
G

#32 xxZ0NExx

xxZ0NExx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 03:59 AM

QUOTE (ibilisi @ Apr 11 2004, 02:51 AM)
Hey all-

I just bought a new Xbox and It looks like I have the Philips drive.

SHould I return it? I'm looking to mod it out and only use backups while keeping the originals safely tucked away (seriously). So I would like it to read Ritek G04 dvd-r or other medium quality media.

Lemme know if you have a sec.
Thanks
G

I just returned my XBOX that was a Thomson for a Samsung. It's worth it.

#33 jbleon

jbleon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 04:09 AM

I have a Philips Drive in my Xbox. Sony DRU-500a Burner. I had the original Sony dvd+rw 2.4X media that came with it it worked fine untill i wore it out. Xbox would read it fine! Now i go out and buy media at local stores Memorex,Maxell, and Generic CompUsless all 1X dvd+rw not one worked out of 100 pcs. Meanwhile i am burning backups with no problems on Princo dvd-r 1x media!! then i purchased a sample pack with (2)Ritek, (2)Optidisc, and (2)Princo all dvd-rw 1 x. Tried every disc, out off (6) only (1) worked i thought ok the drive is picky no prob. I will just use this one Princo dvd-rw 1x for testing before creating the final backups on my xbox. So now i got (1) good Princo 1X drv-rw media. Well finally i wore that one out. So now i have a delima i know that it will be hard to find media that is going to work! So i go online and order a 25 pack of Princo dvd-rw 1x media. When it arrived i was ready to backup so stuff. put in the first disc made a backup of something i have previosly backed up just so i knew i was working with good ISO.
Well it Failed, I was ok with that. then i tried the second disc the third the fourth, Now i AM PISSED!! none of them work.... Read some post in this forum about which drive is better which one sucks. Then i realized that i had my old xbox that i fried " Don't ask Long story" it had a Thompsons drive in it and i know they donot read cd-r's but they do read most DVD's. I pulled it out of old Xbox put it in new one. booted it up and now i can read all the backups that failed!!!!!!

Bottom Line Thompson Drive Worked when Philips Failed!!! I wish i had a samsung to test also but i don't I will try to backup to the other media besides the Princo dvd-rw 1x in the future and might post if people request....

#34 glauber55

glauber55

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 03:52 PM

I'm confused, I have a ver 1.0 and I have and old philips I am worried because I dont know if I will be having any problems with it reading Dvd-r, I just ordered a toshiba dvd burner with a pack of go4 ritek 1x-4x dvd-rs, please let me know if will have problems with this drive reading my media, or if you have a similar setup let me know how it been working for you.

#35 nachonut

nachonut

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Interests:I install all mods for XBOX. You need it done, I can do it. PM me or email me nachonut@nyc.rr.com

Posted 19 April 2004 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (glauber55 @ Apr 18 2004, 12:52 PM)
I'm confused, I have a ver 1.0 and I have and old philips I am worried because I dont know if I will be having any problems with it reading Dvd-r, I just ordered a toshiba dvd burner with a pack of go4 ritek 1x-4x dvd-rs, please let me know if will have problems with this drive reading my media, or if you have a similar setup let me know how it been working for you.

you'll be fine

#36 BOOBOO™

BOOBOO™

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 12:19 PM

well i have the phillips drive, and ive found riteks are very buggy with it, the game will work for like 3 days and then it will stutter and have trouble reading giving dirty disc readings, ive switched to virbatim and TDK's and its working fine so far..
anyone with a phillips drive what DVD-Rs u guys using that work properly?

#37 GWT

GWT

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 05:08 AM

Is there any way to identify which drive you have from the serial number before you walk out of the store?

#38 katmikaze6969

katmikaze6969

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 02:29 AM

I have thomson drive i was wondering what cd burning software u used and what cds or dvds u used and did u out in a UPC code

#39 Wartorment

Wartorment

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 24 April 2004 - 04:43 AM

QUOTE (xxZ0NExx @ Apr 12 2004, 05:59 AM)
I just returned my XBOX that was a Thomson for a Samsung. It's worth it.

Notice a difference in regular gaming? (Non-Modded)

#40 ikar

ikar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 11:42 PM

Which dvd drive is best for dvd+r and/or dvd-r? I currently have a phillips (and can return it). Can it read those kinds of dvds? Or does the brand matter?

#41 verny

verny

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 09 May 2004 - 06:54 PM

I have a philips dvd drive in my xbox, and it reads many of my cdrw's and i have alot of cheap brands also. It also reads my dvd+r's and dvd-r's also. Some people just depends on their luck. The only thing i wish is that it could read cdr's because i have alot of local band cd's and theirs isn't the OFFICIAL cd which companies make, so theirs is the personal cd burner kind :-/ hmm yeah

#42 haloader

haloader

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 11:19 PM

Just for people who have a phillips, heres my personal experience.

CD-RW's: Reads just about all.

DVD-R's: I use TDK's. They work, they are cheap, and you stick to what works, ya know?

CD-R's: I use imation's. For same reasons as above smile.gif

I haven't bothered with DVD+R...

#43 Jackco

Jackco

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:52 PM

hmm the website I linked below have took the samsung xbox-dvd drive off the list I wonder I must have order the last but don't worry they sell a pre-moddem Samsung 616T DVD drive (16x) this can also play original xbox games you don't need a modded for that 616T.

http://secure.llamma.com/catalog/

I wonder if MS comes out with a pioneer dvd drive for xbox.
I have a 4 years old pioneer dvd drive and the laser is still working.

#44 Xmaster99

Xmaster99

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:XboX pc if not xbox then wat am i doin here? ?? ??
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 19 May 2004 - 09:47 PM

look like u all hate da thompson drive so i got 1 ,X aint modded just yet but soon enough n now i read bad shit bout sayin dat u cant flash da chips usin watever bios u guys got n im scared i ordered ma chip last night n any other ways 2 flash?

thanks peace

#45 djboogie

djboogie

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 05:34 AM

wacco, your buddy needs a new drive
every disc I try in my sammy works, and the other sammy drives I modded
the philips is BY FAR the worst!! sux major ass
had laugh.gif to tweak the pot on all of em

0 user(s) are reading this topic