• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#46 djboogie

djboogie

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 07:48 PM

So far my samsung xbox drive has only failed to read 2 types of media both being dvd+r (memorex and sony)
I have found 6 dvd+r brands that DO work, and every dvd-r and dvd+rw I have tried work.
So far no cdr has failed to read That i have tried.
Its by far the best drive, Ive modded 16 xbox's now, with various drives, none of the (retail xbox type) drives come near the samsung.

#47 NataSS Inc

NataSS Inc

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 04:42 PM

I just traded in my regular XBOX for the special edition HALO box. I was told buy the guy at Software etc. that ALL of the HALO edition boxes have the SAMSUNG drives and the easiest way to spot it is the 2 holes in the tray. So I get home,, plug it in and open the tray. It only had the one big slot and not the 2 holes?! Judging from pictures I have seen I am pretty sure its a phillips drive. But the date code on the console is April of 2004. WTF?

anyone care to fill in a complete nOOb to XBOX internals. I am getting ready to build a second one for modding purposes so any little bits of info would help.

#48 Mahavishnu

Mahavishnu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 11:51 PM

If you play large-filed games such as Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind Game of the Year Edition, you'll notice a big difference with the drives as your file gets bigger. I have a Phillups, and when a save blockage gets past 150 my game progressivly lags more and more as I progress. At GAMEFAQs and the Official Morrowind board you hear about Thomson drive people crashing more then you hear about Samsung people; but then again, alot of Thomson people never complain at all about crashing or lagging more then the other drives...

#49 gielamonster

gielamonster

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (GWT @ Apr 22 2004, 01:08 AM)
Is there any way to identify which drive you have from the serial number before you walk out of the store?

Ditto. Or even just a guide as to how they're most easily found while still on the shelf (ie: Refurbs with a MFG date between Jan 2003 and May 2003).

I'd prefer to have a good guess that I'm gonna get one instead of just grabbing boxes at random and hoping I strick Samsung gold.

#50 cid3

cid3

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 05:49 PM

I was just curious if anyone had the answer to what gielamonster quoted and asked? Is there a way to tell what dvd-drive a x-box has by a serial number on the packaging or anything before walking out of the store? By the different replies it seems that everyone agrees samsung is superior, and it would be somewhat annoying having to find a needle in a haystack of x-box's.

Thanks in advance.

#51 sonic21

sonic21

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 12:30 AM

I have a thompson drive and I want to see what kind of media it can read. Im gettin my xbox modded in a week. What file should i put on the disk to see if it works now.

#52 bry_guy12

bry_guy12

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 14 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 June 2004 - 02:17 PM

Hey guys. I bought my xbox (with a Phillips drive) used off of ebay, and I'm not sure if it is modded or what, but it will easiliy read any kind of recordable media without difficulty. Tell me what you think might be the cause, if any. blink.gif

#53 bry_guy12

bry_guy12

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 14 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 June 2004 - 02:30 PM

Hello again guys. I have found something quite puzzling. My Xbox has a "05" at the end of the serial code, meaning it has a Phillips drive, but has a disc tray with two holes in it, which to my knowledge means that the drive is a Samsung. Maybe my knowledge is just wrong, or my Xbox's previous owner changed the drive, but WTF? blink.gif

#54 brahm2

brahm2

Internet Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:I'm an EE student at the UofS in Saskatoon. I love guitar and drinking beer.. sometimes both.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 24 June 2004 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (bry_guy12 @ Jun 24 2004, 10:30 AM)
Hello again guys. I have found something quite puzzling. My Xbox has a "05" at the end of the serial code, meaning it has a Phillips drive, but has a disc tray with two holes in it, which to my knowledge means that the drive is a Samsung. Maybe my knowledge is just wrong, or my Xbox's previous owner changed the drive, but WTF? blink.gif

You cannot determine which DVD-ROM you have by serial number. You can make an educated guess based on production lines, and what other people's drives are if they are the same version as yours, but you can't know for sure.

If it's got the two holes, then it's definatley a Samsung, and the previous owner didn't necessarily have to switch drives.

#55 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 June 2004 - 07:02 PM

Yup, there is a nasty rumor running around out there that you can tell what DVD Drive your XBOX has in it but these have been proved wrong on several occasions. The only sure fire method for telling which drive you have before you buy it is by looking at a used one and ejecting the tray (easiest method). This is how I found my current Samsung drive. wink.gif

#56 FunkMachineX

FunkMachineX

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 26 June 2004 - 11:29 PM

I recently bought an xbox, it's a HALO edition one (see through green). It has a phillips drive, and I just backed up one of my audio cds on a TDK cd-r and it worked. Thats hellava good, correct?

#57 Rogan22

Rogan22

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 04:46 PM

Ok read through this thread and got a bit frustrated.

I've got my xbox modded, using EvolutionX, and have a samsung drive.

I had read previous to this that the samsung drive can read DVD+r's so i buy a bunch of them they are memorex. They don't work, tried 3 discs. Then i read Djbogies post about how he's found the only two that don't work are memorex and sony, but that he'e found 6 other brands that do...

I was wondering if people could suggest the names of brands they have found that do work for the DVD+r's as i only have a DVD+RW drive in my pc...

#58 Shemy

Shemy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 10:46 AM

Anyone care to suggest a brand of cd-r/w for the Evox boot up cd. I used two quite old Cd-rw (got when I bought my pc) but noth them haven't worked. So any ideas on Cd-r/w or even dvd-r/w to use for a Thompson dvd drive for the Evox bootup cd.

Cheers

#59 BluSigma

BluSigma

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 01:45 AM

Hello all! I'm obviously new here and I have a question regarding these DVD drives. I've had my Xbox since last year and about a month and a half ago I started getting this thing where I would put the game in and it wouldn't leave the dashboard. The xbox would make a buzzing sound and it still didn't load. I didn't wait much long after that but I opened the drawer and closed it back and the game proceeded to load. It doesn't happen all the time but it does happen. NCAA 2005 is released tomorrow and I'm going to pick mine up. I'm also going to go to Best Buy and trade my Xbox in for a new one since I can under the 2-year replacement plan that I purchase.

What I want to know is if there is a way that I can tell which drive I have without looking in the drawer because I won't be able to look in the drawer in the store. I have one with a Samsung drive right now. It works fine except for the thing that I mentioned above.

Help me out guys if you can. I'm leaving to go and trade the Xbox in tomorrow morning at about 9:30.

#60 mono11

mono11

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 03:49 AM

k guyz i just got a new x box the last 2 digits on the serial r 06 and it comes with a pillips drive also i can read cd-rs verbatims just wanted to let u guyz know

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users