• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#61 rsempell

rsempell

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 11:38 PM

i have the newest xbox bought it in may? phillips drive in it and can read cdr's just fine using memorex 700 mb, 80 min, 52x speed. also some cheapie brand but sony's don't work sad.gif oh well atleast memorex do. peace

#62 Philmurray

Philmurray

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 08:17 AM

Hi im from australia and am confused, without a chip can i play copied PAL(the local region) games? thanks Phil

#63 jgamble

jgamble

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 01:37 PM

I just got a new Xbox, the manafacture date is June 5th 2004 and the serial number ends in in 5 and it was a SAMSUNG

I tried 3 types of burned CD-R and none of them read however. This is kind of alarming as I pissed off the people who work at the place where I got my Xbox because I returned it 2 times to make sure I got a Samsung drive.

Oh well...

#64 RoyD

RoyD

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 30 July 2004 - 10:35 AM

eey i have a philips drive and used to have emtec dvd-r for my xbox but now my dad bought philips dvd+r and fujifilm dvd+r. first i burned a game on the fujifilm and it worked...then i burned a second game on fujiflm and when i put it in my xbox the only thing that happends is that the screen with recent opened things pops up...my xbox won; t read the philips @ all..anyknows whats with the fujifilm? and what is a good brand for philips dvd-rom?

#65 GameMasta24

GameMasta24

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Interests hmmm... thats a hard one :)
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 31 July 2004 - 02:25 AM

Phillips DVD drives arent the best but they work. I personally have a Phillips and i dont have problems with it at all. I know someone with a thomson who tryed to play a game on a CD but it had a big crack on it and it didnt work. But on my phillips DVD drive it works all the time. It depends on who you are and what u like.

#66 majoramask

majoramask

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 03:15 PM

i say that samsung is better my samsung can read cdrw and dvd-r but now i have a thompson adn my thompson broke in like 3 month

#67 ersatz

ersatz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 07:09 PM

Samsung drives don't read adn cdr or cdrws, they read dvd-r fine though. if you want to play cd-rs you need a philips drive i believe. but then it doesn't play dvd media well.

#68 ForsakenDestiny

ForsakenDestiny

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 05:21 AM

PhilMurray - you can play copied games without a modchip on PAL/US/JAP xbox's by soft modding. it uses a save game exploit to launch a Linux based aplication on your xbox soft mod tutorial I personaly wouldnt suggest doing this if you are a noob to soft modding, it can ruin your xbox.

Back to xbox drives and media.. No matter what drive you get it may or may not play certain media, its all luck of the draw. You can have 2 xbox's with the same drive and one will play (for example) memorex dvd-r's and the other wont. What it comes down to is no matter what drive you get you will still need to find the media that works with it so dont stress on the type of drive you have or will get.

#69 krackheadbill

krackheadbill

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 August 2004 - 05:25 AM

To all the people who say that the samsung does not read dvd+r......Mine works kinda decent. Cheap crappy curcuit city brand DVD+R's called "liquid video" about 40 bucks for a 50 pack after rebates which at the local store is pretty good.....Only stuff that is over about 4GB has a hard time being read but sometimes that even works too. Every Dvd movie I tried works just fine.....and only 2 out of 10 DVD+R discs gave me problems and those 2 were both games. So I would not say that the sammy is as hopeless reading DVD+R's as the Thompson is at reading CDR's rolleyes.gif beerchug.gif sammy is the shit!!!!!!

#70 jaroc

jaroc

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and Sports
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 August 2004 - 03:45 AM

After hearing all of this I've come to the conclusion that what all three drives read is completely random. I mean come on it has to be. Everybody is saying something different. I can only get my thomson to read verbatim cdrw's but other people are saying that it can read nearly any cdrw

#71 manxbox44

manxbox44

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 12:55 AM

i just got an xbox with a samsung drive in it how ever i can not get it to read any cd-r's. what kind of cd-r's are ya'll using in your samsung drives? please help me uhh.gif

#72 n1tro

n1tro

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 06:47 AM

Igamble,

You got one of the new Samsungs. They seem to be shipping in XBOXs made after June04 here in Canada. The new Samsungs are physically different than the older ones (yellow connector goes on the other side). I also found the new Samsungs doesn't mount properly under the Linux flash procedure thus making it very hard to flash the chip to another bios. However, they do seem to read CDRs properly so maybe you aren't burning the discs properly.

#73 XxFuRy2Xx

XxFuRy2Xx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 12:31 AM

All I want to know is which drive will give me the best performance while playing normally (no modding done)? I want to know this because my xbox which was purchased about 2 months ago from best buy chugged like crazy while trying to play ncaa football 2005. Not only that but the system link capability along with xbox live went out on it as well, which REALLY pissed me off.

#74 JiM-HiMSELF

JiM-HiMSELF

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 10 August 2004 - 12:35 PM

hey man i do also have the same problem i have a samsung drive and all it requires is to burn them rite they do read cd-r's but you ahve to burn them the rite format if there is mroe then one file burn it ISO if there is only one try UDF and it also depends on what the files are

NOTE: speed isnt everything

i hope it works for you

JiM

#75 Daryn

Daryn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 05:23 AM

I think that you just solved my problem bro!! I have a phillips dvd and have been using dvd+R with nothing working. I am going to the store as soon as it opens, Thank You!! 

Do the sony DVDr's work with the phillips?

cos damn i just forked out shitloads for a brand new xbox - should've read this forum first eh cos i was lucky enough to get a phillips dvd drive sad.gif (excuse the sarcasm) i have a modchip on the way too sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users