#76 RudeBastard

RudeBastard

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 05:25 AM

QUOTE (Joe123 @ Jun 24 2003, 01:41 PM)
yeah, i got a thompson. It reads almost all cdrw brands, and all dvd+/- r/rw that ive tried. I even got it to read a cdr that had music on it that i copied to the hd (but it went very slow).

Please tell us what brand of CDR you were using! Please!

#77 Xboxmodder3690

Xboxmodder3690

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 14 August 2004 - 01:08 AM

I have a new Phillips (came with my 1.6) and it reads almost everything I can throw at it, even CD-Rs. in my other box, I have a Thompson dry.gif READS NOTHING. I have even gotten a dirty disk error on it right after I have played the game on my 1.6! Man how I hate this Thompson

#78 ydgmms

ydgmms

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 01:11 AM

Heres probably a stupid question...

Will replacing the DVDDrive with another Xbox drive freak out XBOX Live and cause you to get banned? I doubt it because its still an xbox drive.

But how about one of those 616 Samsung drives?

My drive has been giving me read errors on retail games. Bought it used....can't return it now. So...my options are: 1) use a CD/DVD lens cleaner disk. 2) replace the xbox drive with another xbox drive (from ebay). 3) replace the xbox drive with a premodded samsung616 from ebay.

I DO play on xbox live. So..which is the best option?

#79 CamdogXIII

CamdogXIII

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Interests:Modding xbox's, building computers.
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 August 2004 - 06:40 PM

I got a phillips and it won't read only one kind of brand but i can't remeber what it was. But i reads cd-r fine and cd-rw fine. haven't tried dvd-r,+r,-rwetc. (no dvd Burner)

#80 z00labus

z00labus

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 17 August 2004 - 04:03 AM

I just bought a new xbox for the samsung dvd drive... I installed it and it reads DVD-R's and Orginals but not CD-Rs... I replaced my thompson because I have a bunch of divx's on cd-r and wanted to use my xbox as a media center to play those divx's. It is not reading music CD-r or data ones with divx movies on it...

Any ideas? Could I have burned all those wrong? Is there a special configuaration that you have to burn in order for the xbox to read them?

#81 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 August 2004 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE (ydgmms @ Aug 16 2004, 02:14 AM)

Will replacing the DVDDrive with another Xbox drive freak out XBOX Live and cause you to get banned? I doubt it because its still an xbox drive.

My drive has been giving me read errors on retail games. Bought it used....can't return it now. So...my options are: 1) use a CD/DVD lens cleaner disk. 2) replace the xbox drive with another xbox drive (from ebay). 3) replace the xbox drive with a premodded samsung616 from ebay.

All 3 XBOX DVD Drives will work with XBL, as will the Samsung 616T. Just make sure your XBOX modchip is switched off and you are using original discs and you will be just fine.

#82 shank69xo

shank69xo

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Interests:XBOX360, PC Mods, Titties<br /><br />MuDvAyNe
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 17 August 2004 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (ydgmms @ Aug 15 2004, 07:14 PM)

You can use the 616t without a problem, because it has been flashed with the 605 firmware, so your XBOX will se it as a 605. And live also will not "freak out" over the new drive.

#83 Robbis

Robbis

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 08:43 AM

unfortunately i have a thompson sad.gif cussing.gif

#84 Cashed

Cashed

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 07:49 PM

I just bought an Xbox yesterday (finally :|) and I got a Samsung drive. Now from what I had heard, Samsungs could read almost any type of burned CDs. My Xbox was manufactured on July 13th 2004 and it can't read CD-Rs, which has me bummed. Can someone tell me what type of CDs the Samsung will read?

Thanks for the help.

#85 shyun1

shyun1

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 03:36 AM

QUOTE (Cashed @ Aug 18 2004, 08:52 PM)
I just bought an Xbox yesterday (finally :|) and I got a Samsung drive. Now from what I had heard, Samsungs could read almost any type of burned CDs. My Xbox was manufactured on July 13th 2004 and it can't read CD-Rs, which has me bummed. Can someone tell me what type of CDs the Samsung will read?

Thanks for the help.

I'm using the samsung drive and so far i've gotten cd-r, dvd-r and dvd-rw to work on it.

Brands that i used are:

cd-r:
Imation

dvd-r:
verbatim, imation...

dvd-rw same as dvd-r

And i used nero burning rom to burn the cds/dvds

#86 painless8000

painless8000

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 08:32 PM

I also have a Thompson dvd-drive grr.gif and I bought my xbox when it first released in Europe. Anyway it reads cd-rw (only quality and patience) dvd-r dvd+r (Platinum works really great) and dvd+rw. I must say that the drive makes alot of noice and isn't very fast. I'm glad that I've a larger hdd installed or I would freak out.

I know somebody that also has a Thompson drive and it is a nighmare many many ''can't recognise this disc make sure it is..'' (only original dashboard) He had a dvd+rw and the xbox didn't really read it so he broke the disc and threw it againt the wall cool.gif That was really funny....

#87 {later}

{later}

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 29 August 2004 - 07:00 PM

Here's my list of DVD drives:

Thomson TGM600: DVD+R, DVD-R, CD-RW (NO CD-R)
Samsung SDG-605: DVD-R, CD-RW, CD-R (NO DVD+r)
Philips (The old one?): Can play all, but it depends on the media, some DVD+R don't work, but an other brand does work, and so the same with all the DVD/CD types.

I have one of the first xbox'es in europe, so it is one with a Thompson, but it works wonderfully well. It read every DVD I give it to him, and doesn't make much noise.

Now I've tried a samsung from a friend of mine, and it makes more noise, and it does NOT read DVD+R, not any brand, it immediately says: Unknown sad.gif

And then we have philips, 2 friends of mine have these, and alot DVD media do not work for them, only some, that really sucks, you buy a 5-pack and then they don't work.

Best for me is the Thompson, why use a Samsung when it cannot even read DVD+R?

#88 mickeyX0N3

mickeyX0N3

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 10:36 PM

I am using Platinum CD-Rs 80 min and Platinum DVD+Rs
on my crystal xbox with philips drive (august 2004)
works perfect !

#89 procoprio

procoprio

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 02 September 2004 - 01:03 AM

QUOTE (djboogie @ May 26 2004, 08:51 PM)
So far my samsung xbox drive has only failed to read 2 types of media both being dvd+r (memorex and sony)
I have found 6 dvd+r brands that DO work, and every dvd-r and dvd+rw I have tried work.
So far no cdr has failed to read That i have tried.
Its by far the best drive, Ive modded 16 xbox's now, with various drives, none of the (retail xbox type) drives come near the samsung.

what are the 6 +r brands?

#90 whiteb

whiteb

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 05:56 AM

Xbox Serial number broken down

Made in China
Production line 3
week 13 of 2003.
Version 1.3
DVD Drive - Samsung. mate brought over a game on a princo DVD-R, Xbox refused to even boot. So we copied the disk onto Ritek DVD-R... perfect.
Seems the DVD drive has taste..
TV System PAL.
HDD 10GIG Seagate.

Modded with Xbit chip running Xecuter2 bios, replaced with 80GIG 7200 WD HDD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users