65 replies to this topic

#1 sLiPpErY wEt

sLiPpErY wEt

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 04:53 PM

ok i found out i have a thompson drive.... is that really that bad? i found somewhere and it said it's thebest and other well most everywhere said samsung drive is the best! well my friend has samsung can i just switch the drives and be alright w/o doing anything will his still work with my drive? he dont have a mod chip and mines in the mail....we could switch xboxs but his ol lady threw it on the ground he says it still works but i say fuck that ya know....so yeah can i just switch?

Edited by sLiPpErY wEt, 15 February 2004 - 01:12 AM.

#2 chefelf

chefelf

Brandishing the Triforce of Modding

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Web Design, Writing, Cycling, Hardware Modification, Building Computers, Music
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 February 2004 - 04:58 PM

I think you are asking about what type of media to use. If so, you need to find out what type of DVD drive your Xbox has and then check out what types and brands of media are compatible with it. Both these things can be found int he pinned topics in the Backup Forum.

#3 shavedrat

shavedrat

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 14 February 2004 - 10:30 PM

I may have misread, but I think you can't rip a burnt music cd without a mod, only originals.

#4 sLiPpErY wEt

sLiPpErY wEt

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 01:02 AM

My friend has a x box with the samsung drive in it and mine is thompson.... questino is....is that do i really want a samsung or with the thompson do just fine?...anyways can i just swap drives w/o doing anything just unplug one and plug the new one in and it will work? i have a mod chip and shit dont other wise i would just trade x box's! please help me out w/ in 12 hours i need an answer :S thank you for helping!

#5 kdogg-

kdogg-

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 15 February 2004 - 01:09 AM

The harddrives are locked to the motheboards, but dvdroms are not. Just swap them out.... Will work 100% fine....

Samsung is like 1000x better then Thomson. Samsungs go for $100+ on EBay, if you can find someone dumb enough to swap, jump on it.

#6 sLiPpErY wEt

sLiPpErY wEt

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 01:13 AM

i never heard that you have to have a mod my friend has a samsung drive and he can copy his burnt cds to his xbox he has no mod chip and well i have a thompson and i can't....maybe it's the media i'm useing...i use tdk cds...what ones work best for thompson anyone know?

#7 antz1970

antz1970

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 February 2004 - 01:36 AM

the samsung drive reads cdr with/without modchip , the thomson and philips dont

#8 sLiPpErY wEt

sLiPpErY wEt

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 01:39 AM

so when i get my mod chip the thompson will read the cd-r?

#9 Trevante

Trevante

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,929 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 February 2004 - 02:37 AM

the modchip doesn't affect whether or not your xbox can read CD-R. It just depends on what drive you have. If you have a Thomson or Phillips drive, then you might have more trouble getting it to read CD-R depending on how old it is, but if you have a Samsung, then you shouldn't have any problems at all.

Edited by Trevante, 15 February 2004 - 02:38 AM.

#10 sLiPpErY wEt

sLiPpErY wEt

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 02:50 AM

well i got a new x box it was just made in 8/03 and it has a thompson drive is there like newer thompson drives like verisons or is a thompson drive just a thompson drive?

#11 sLiPpErY wEt

sLiPpErY wEt

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 02:58 AM

are you sure like have you done this or how do you knwo exactly....? i hear that if you buy the drive from a store you have to modify it in some way or something....well why woudlnt you have to do that with the one thats already in anoother x box,,,,and isn't everything set up for samsung in his and everything set up for thompson in mine......so i belive it woudl mess up...i could be wrong....i'm a noob!

#12 Lugnut

Lugnut

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 03:58 AM

your mistaking the other samsung that people talk about, many people use a pc dvd drive the samsung 616T, no xbox's have ever come with this drive however when modified it can be used just like a stock xbox samsung sdg-605. So as long as your buddy has a samsung that came with the xbox you can just swap them, but if he has a modified samsung 616T , then you would have to modify your case to get it to fit.

#13 sLiPpErY wEt

sLiPpErY wEt

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 12:43 PM

oh ok i undertand but i have another question.... which verison of xbox is the so called "best" i'm not sure what either the two x box's are but is the xbox with the samsung also the best version of xbox or is samsung in every version? or would i happen to get lucky and whne i open up mine have thebest verison of x box and then i swap drives then i have the best of both worlds? does anyone know the best verson?

#14 sLiPpErY wEt

sLiPpErY wEt

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 12:50 PM

Which version of x box is the best excluding the dvd drive?
Could the best version be the one with the thompson drive but then the thompson drive makes it shitty?
I have an x box and all i knwo as of right now because of some reasons is that it has a thompson drive...my friends has a samsung drive...i dont know the versions but i will know in a few days! I want to just swap the dvd drives and then i'll have the best verisoin and best dvd rom.....hopefully?
Is there different versions of a thompson drive like one that might be better than the other one or is a thompson drive a thompson drive and there all shit!?
What verson of xbox is the best?

Edited by sLiPpErY wEt, 15 February 2004 - 12:56 PM.

#15 Turbanator

Turbanator

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 12:57 PM

so your gonna jack your friends drive cause he doesn't know any better?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users