Photo

Can Someone Help Me Decipher This Ohm Reading?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Madchild

Madchild

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 02:06 PM

just wondering if anyone knows if im doin something wrong. im working on this Thompson drive and using a digital multimeter getting a reading of 3.04 ohms, Tutorial says im trying to get it too around 1000ohm. whats goin on here? should my reading really be this far off? BTW near my reading i have a K. which im geussing means kilo-ohm ...?

#2 Morglum

Morglum

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 February 2004 - 02:11 PM

1000 Ohms IS 1K Ohms wink.gif

So if you have a reading of 3.04K Ohms, thats 3040 Ohms. Just tweak it untill that 3.04 reads 1.00 and you should be about right smile.gif

#3 Madchild

Madchild

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 02:36 PM

seems that no matter what i do to that pot, turn it full clockwise or full counterclockwise. i still get the same reading. with both my digital and analog meters. maybe im doing something wrong but im pretty damn positive im doing exactly what the tut says. Top left post and touch the screw....

#4 Madchild

Madchild

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 02:39 PM

can someone take a look at the picture in this tut http://dwl.xbox-scen...t-procedure.pdf and tell me if im supposed to be toughing exactly what those arrows are pointing to or the actual screw in the pot? its a bit misleading if you read the tut it doesnt match the picture

#5 Morglum

Morglum

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 February 2004 - 02:52 PM

From that picture to me it looks like you measure the points on the side. But im sure i seem to remember reading something about measuring the screw, but that might have been for the philips drives and not the thomsons.

#6 Madchild

Madchild

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 04:11 PM

has anyone had luck doing this at all? stupid thompson drive. now it wont read anything at all. ive tried increments from 800-3k. at least before it would spin up and load, id get read errors shortly after but at least it would do something. does anyone know where this drive is set by default? my pot got messed with before i even got the standard reading cause that tutorial is all whacked.

#7 Henchman#5

Henchman#5

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 01:20 AM

Are you able to get a reading on it yet? I was wondering becasue I'm in the middle of doing this mod now.

With everything taken off of the drive and it turned upside down, put one sensor on the screw and the other on the lower right hand leg on the pot. Set your digital multi meter to ohms and let it auto select the level.

My drive started out originally around 1300. Anything between 1000 and 1600 ohms seems to be normal for this drive.

You should gradually lower the level by 25 ohm increments, just don't go below 850 ohms. If you do, you run the risk of burning out your laser or ruining the discs you put into the drive.

Currently, I'm adjusting mine because I still can't get mine to work well sad.gif

Anyway, I'll see how mine goes and check back here later to see if you posted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users