8 replies to this topic

#1 Tribal Kult

Tribal Kult

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 11 December 2002 - 08:35 PM

I'd like to know if its possible to wire the modchip (PRO or LITE) in a way that permit you to disable/enable the chip with the eject button like the PC-bioxx can do.

I know that you can put an external switch on the X-ecuter chip but I prefer the eject button trick...

#2 CentroniX

CentroniX

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 05:17 AM

I may be totally out of my league in answering this, but my initial thought is that this is a BIOS feature/function, totally independant of the mod itself. To back up this theory, this is why after installing a mod chip (in my case, the x-ecutor v1), you can eject the DVD-ROM without rebooting the box itself. Just like a computer, [I would think] the BIOS would control what responses occur for different actions.......

cent

#3 blackout_19

blackout_19

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 05:43 AM

nope, it's a modchip hardware setting. You can run any bios you want in a matrix modchip but you can go to the original bios if you use the eject button after loading a game (modchip in mode 3).

#4 CentroniX

CentroniX

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 06:37 AM

QUOTE (blackout_19 @ Dec 12 2002, 04:43 AM)
nope, it's a modchip hardware setting. You can run any bios you want in a matrix modchip but you can go to the original bios if you use the eject button after loading a game (modchip in mode 3).

Ok, let's look at an X-ecutor install, WITHOUT a switch. It is my understanding that every time my xbox boots, it's using the BIOS on the X-ecuter, and NOT the on-board/TSOP bios. This is what allows me to "backup my originals". In order to run unsigned code, thus the reason for the mod chip in the first place, you have to have a BIOS that supports it.

In other messages/forums, people talk about installing a homebew chip, flashing the TSOP with a different BIOS (ex: EvoX), uninstalling the chip, and still being able to play "backups of their originals games". So, I can only assume that the registers that read the different action handlers (i.e. hitting eject, holding down eject, etc) is handled by the xbox itself............which runs off the BIOS.

Anyone wanna clarify this??

Blackout_19: Not doubting you; Just want to make sure I undestand the internal operations of the box itself to get a better understanding... No offense ment what so ever....

cent

#5 blackout_19

blackout_19

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 01:37 PM

In other messages/forums, people talk about installing a homebew chip, flashing the TSOP with a different BIOS (ex: EvoX), uninstalling the chip, and still being able to play "backups of their originals games". So, I can only assume that the registers that read the different action handlers (i.e. hitting eject, holding down eject, etc) is handled by the xbox itself............which runs off the BIOS.

Anyone wanna clarify this??

Don't worry, i'm not easily offended.. biggrin.gif

Once the tsop has been flashed and the modchip removed all that is happening is you are using the onboard bios chip to store the hacked bios. There is no eject mode switching with this method because there is no original bios code left to switch back to. Hope this helps to clarify.

#6 Tribal Kult

Tribal Kult

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 01:33 AM

Ok thanx for the hints but that dosn't answer my question... sad.gif

I'm planning to buy the X-ecuter 2 PRO modchip and I want to know if its possible to wire (or any other method..) to allow this modchip to act like the PC-bioXX in the Eject disable feature.

Was it only PC-bioXX that can do that because of its particular design or any chip can achieve to do that with some tweaking.

Sorry if I'm persistent but I don't really know the PC-bioXX modchip and I want to know what in the design of this modchip allow the use of this particular feature.

#7 CentroniX

CentroniX

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 04:30 AM

Okay, so now I'm as inquisitive as could be! wink.gif I'll do some research as far as how the different mods are wired. My impression was that it was the BIOS. If blackout is correct, then the only other possible alternative would be the solder points, and one or more wires would have to connect to a solder point off of the eject button lead. I still want to stick to my guns as far as it's a BIOS tweak. I mean, SOMETHING has to tell the box when to boot from it's BIOS and when to boot from the onboard TSOP. So, in my [somewhat limited] vast knowledge of circutry, SOMETHING has to determine, "okay, I'm already loaded with this bios, but the button was pushed, so now load the other BIOS", which in my opionion would have to be in the mod chip, and the mod chips functions are usually stored on it's chips; An if() test if you will....

Response shortly.....

cent

#8 CentroniX

CentroniX

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 04:44 AM

Ok, did a few google searches; Not a lot of info regaurding the installation of a PC-BioXX chip, but I did run across this, http://www.xbreporte...ox_mod_chip.php, which states:

The OpenXbox/PC-BioXX Xbox mod chip requires has only 9 solder points, the same number as the X-ecutor mod chip.

Thus backing up my BIOS theory. If it connects to the motherboard in the exact same fashion as an X-ecutor, then if it was a hardware hack, the X-ecutor would do it too.

Just made another Jack-n-Coke and still searching! cool.gif

cent

#9 admiralj

admiralj

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 13 December 2002 - 09:31 AM

its hardware. the lik-sang pcbioxx chip has a 10th point to solder to the bottom of the xbox mobo. when you power on using the eject button, the chip is disabled and the TSOP loads. if you power on with the power button, the pcbioxx is activated and boots to whatever bios is flashed to the pcbioxx. likewise, if you dont want to do this, you can simply install (or remove i cant remember which) the jumper on the pcbioxx to always boot to the bios in the pcbioxx.

it would be cool of the X2 had that feature. the pcbioxx was/is the best chip out imo. 1mb rom, enable/disable through the power/eject buttons and easily flashable. i just wish i had bought more from lik-sang before they got sued.

Edited by admiralj, 13 December 2002 - 09:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users