#16 douwd

douwd

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 11:53 AM

I guess everything could be done..

But it would take a shitload, shitload, shitload of time..

aint gonna happen imo.

#17 C4TRMNTOR

C4TRMNTOR

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 25 February 2004 - 12:10 PM

Hey Maddogthesahr, definitley work on this as much as possible, with as many people as possible that could figure this out (the more the better). I know for a fact that the source code for Xbox has not been leaked and probably never will. You should work/talk with the creator of the CXBX emulator and the creator of the Xenon (or Xeon - can't remember) emulator; I think the two are working together now. They've made some impressive leaps in Xbox emulation on a PC and they'd be the perfect people to work with (along with people at your college). And also about the legality thing, even if it is illegal to do this, that doesn't hinder your (or others) work on it, you can still try stuff and get things accomplished, it's not like MS is looking over your shoulder while you're creating this. Many amazing things can be accomplished. Just look at everyone who has a Debug/Development Kit, it's illegal for them to have it in their possesion (unless they're part of a game developing company), and they create awesome homebrew games and apps all the time for the Xbox hacking/modding scene. Just don't advertise it around to people that may be an asshole and report you to authorities or whatever. If you are successful, you can always distribute it to "the usual places". This is a very interesting and possibly a feasable thing that could happen. BTW this should be posted in the DEVELOPMENT forum section too, so homebrew developers can see this and possibly help you and give you insight on the topic. Good luck with this whole thing and I hope there's some advancement towards the Xbox OS running on a PC.

Edited by C4TRMNTOR, 25 February 2004 - 12:12 PM.

#18 LESTAT

LESTAT

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 February 2004 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (Maddogthesahr @ Feb 18 2004, 02:42 AM)
Thanks for backing me up on the noob side guys.
But as Egox was saying less features to run, more stabil OS.
I Just don't think any windows where ment for gaming.
If i was MS then i would make, for an exampel, a directx OS whit no DHCP services running in the background or something else.
And yes i know that you can disable services etc. etc. but to make a dedicated gaming OS would be great.
And thats why i thought that the xbox OS (which has "standard" pc hardware inside) could be an option.
Thus i think that it on some level would be possible to make some drivers for it.

Now i rest my case, thx guys.

*hint* *hint*

learn how to install and use XP Embedded and you can have th OS of your dreams,
the OS creation tool for Embedded allows you to install ONLY the services and options you want..
so yes it CAN make a DirectX/OpenGL only Windows XP with NO networking no Internet Explorer,, no nothing just a gui and all your hard ware drivers.

now imagine how games and benchmarks would run under those situations.

although i wouldnt recomend removing the networking,, keep it,, youll regret it if you dont have any netowrking capabilities.

think of installing linux as the way Embedded installs. its not the same but you can pick and choose every single tiny little feature you want installed.

#19 c_poussard

c_poussard

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 11:54 PM

if u want your xbox to look like your PC, then rip the guts out of the xbox...buy a PC case and put it in there!!!

then get a xga box and let it convert RGB/component/composite to your PC monitor

TA DA!!

thats all i have to say

peace out

#20 JusKickNit

JusKickNit

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 03:50 AM

He Guy's we got this now the Gentoo game cd. They only have released two games(america's army and UT2003 demo). But you put the cd in your pc and it boot's strait to the game.

#21 Ebay.God

Ebay.God

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 08 March 2004 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE (c_poussard @ Feb 26 2004, 01:54 AM)
if u want your xbox to look like your PC, then rip the guts out of the xbox...buy a PC case and put it in there!!!

then get a xga box and let it convert RGB/component/composite to your PC monitor

TA DA!!

thats all i have to say

peace out

You didnt read anything in this whole thread did you.

#22 blackbishop

blackbishop

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 02:13 PM

I guess he didn't.

But not a bad idea either.

The hard ware requirements would be minimal but if you are going to emulate the system I for see it runing nativlay on a 64 bit processor.

#23 Maddogthesahr

Maddogthesahr

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 09:24 AM

Well well, i'm glad to see that people are interested in this "little" project.
I will start asking people to help me, as soon as i get some more insight of this project.
I have done some brainstorming, but this is a big puzzle to start.
By the way, thx C4TRMNTOR for mentioning the emu-wiz' i'm sure they will be a great help, and i hope they are interested in this project, i will ask them soon if they wan't to be a part of this of if they can give me some hints.

Thanks all

"Live well and prosper" ,- "see you in the future"
cool.gif

#24 shortstuff22090

shortstuff22090

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 10 March 2004 - 07:17 PM

maybe porting the xbox os isnt the best idea. maybe a better one is to make a whole new os like based on linux that is only for games. no other shit involved. just have it load kernel then boot to a menu with games on it

#25 blackbishop

blackbishop

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 08:09 PM

Emulating the hardware aspect of the Xbox would be minumal to run the Xbox OS. Dont expect to run any games on it.

You can take something like Boch's for the cpu code and up it to the 733 mhz speed and and take the virtural dirve code too. But the hard thing would be to emulate the Video and sound.

It wont be impossiable to do just hard to do.

If I had more hardware level coding experiance I would try this.

#26 Altima NEO

Altima NEO

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, XBox, 360, PSP, Dreamcast, 3D Graphics & Animation
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 22 March 2004 - 09:41 PM

Sounds like it would just be easier to code something from scratch and make it look like x-os =P

#27 EgoX

EgoX

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 12:14 PM

That would be even harder cus the OS doesn't have a look wink.gif

#28 cooljerk_dv

cooljerk_dv

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 March 2004 - 06:56 PM

Wow, its been a couple of weeks since i've looked at this topic. After reading my posting, and the comments to it, I can see I was very rude. Sorry. I musta had a bad day or something when i wrote that. Now after reading the rest of the post, I still think porting the xbox os is a bad idea, but building a new os, meant for gaming only is a wonderful idea.

Again very sorry for the rude/ignorant post a while back, I didn't realize it sounded so bad. I'm really not a bad person.

#29 Xbox-Savage

Xbox-Savage

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • Interests:To Sleep with your mommy.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 23 March 2004 - 07:46 PM

ohmy.gif havent you guys learned anything? nothing is impossible. if is human made is not impossible , you can run XBox OS on your PC , you can run XBox Games on your PC , you can hack MS and steal bill gates credit card and buy yourself a Ferrari , you can have sex with the olsen Twins ohmy.gif , you just have to put your mind into it and beat the system. blink.gif

#30 Videogamebuyer14

Videogamebuyer14

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts
  • Interests:cars, girls, building computers, making techno, etc. All the good stuff.
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 23 March 2004 - 11:26 PM

Actually the closest thing is to download DesktopX, here.

And download this skin, here..

That's probably the closest you're ever going to get.

user posted image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users