55 replies to this topic

#31 betaluva

betaluva

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 02:48 AM

can someone tell me how to copy the xboxOS from the hardrive, call me a noob ,i dont care! , i was thinking that maybe you could run xboxOS with a custom version of bochs.

#32 Dephyre

Dephyre

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 March 2004 - 01:41 PM

ftp the folders: xboxdash & xboxdashdata, & xboxdash.xbe

p.s.
Someone PLEASE bump this thread.

#33 LESTAT

LESTAT

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 March 2004 - 02:20 PM

im not gunna say its impossible, but valid points have been made that would cause this to be on helluva job coding it to work.
audio video and such, need to be emulated.

not to mention the xboxdash files ,,, well hell
the only way right now or in the near future unless your a friggin programming GOD, to make ANYTHING xbox run on your pc would be to use the Xbox XDK, which is not legal to have or own unless you got it thru legal means or are an xbox programmer,
im not saying it cant be done but with all the xbox coding guys here, your a noob and you want to try this, which is a cool thing, but your way in over your head my friend, and it sounds like you have little to no coding knowledge.
all xbox files are pripriatary code, you would have to do some serious emulating, cuz there isnt a way to run xbox code on a PC, unless ran thru the XDK.

that xbox dashboard skin for XP is sweet! i signed up for an account at Wincustomize. but of course the stupid confirmation email seems like its gunna take forever so i cant download the skin,, i wanna try it out, looks awesome.

#34 GameDTX

GameDTX

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 28 March 2004 - 02:31 PM

I dont feel like reading thru 3 pages of all these posts, but this is what i got to say:

Your a retard,
Why would you want the XBOX os on ur pc,
There is ZERO use for it,
Are you on drugs?

#35 LESTAT

LESTAT

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 04:25 PM

its fucking jackasses like you that make people want to do this, go back to jerking off in your little corner.

oh and that xbox desktop sucks,, it looks nice thats about it. oh well.
desktop x never was one of my favorite programs.

#36 grug

grug

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 10:33 PM

-double post-

Edited by grug, 29 March 2004 - 10:43 PM.

#37 grug

grug

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 10:42 PM

The amount of concentrated stupidity in this thread is astounding.

Windows would be faster as an OS if it didn't have "DHCP services in the background"? Hahah. Much like the Xbox which also doesn't have DHCP...oh wait...

The Xbox operating system is designed around similar NT-based kernels found in Windows 2000 and Windows XP. The stability of the Xbox comes from the fact that its only available in one configuration and one configuration only. The performance comes from the fact that games are designed specficially for that configuration. You can take shortcuts and specific optimization processes when you know that theres a 700mhz CPU in there, when you know exactly how many registers are in the CPU, how much cache it has, how many pipelines your graphics card is...the fact that there are no external drivers because the OS knows it will only be talking to an specific Nvidia core.

Would it be possible in some kind of virtual machine or emulator to load Xbox apps? Sure. Could you run it natively on your PC with a standard BIOS? No, never. No way. Could you possibly do this without access to MS source code that you will never, ever get? No. Could you possibly do this via reverse engineering? No. Never.

Your suggestions of simply "writing drivers" or "including DLLs from Windows" made me laugh though. Almost everything in the Xbox OS is hard coded for the specific hardware that can be found in an Xbox. It doesn't load drivers, they're all embedded.

The odds of getting Windows XP running on your Xbox are much more likely than getting the Xbox OS running on your PC. And your odds of getting Windows XP running are slim, but are at least better. But don't hold your breath.

#38 EmperorPsiblade

EmperorPsiblade

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts
  • Interests:Helping newbies, installing modchips, evil genetic experiments......
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 29 March 2004 - 10:56 PM

Agreed.... ph34r.gif

It may be possible to reverse engineer it but that would be insanely hard....

the Xbox DASHBOARD WILL PROBALLY NEVER RUN ON A REGULAR PC... the Xbox dashboard is for the (ta da) XBOX.... dry.gif

#39 betaluva

betaluva

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 09:20 AM

The amount of concentrated stupidity in this thread is astounding and most of it is coming from you,grug! if dont want to help then make like the birds and flock off!

#40 Scan-C

Scan-C

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 01 April 2004 - 10:37 AM

grug is right! and why does everyone talk about the xbox dash as the xbox os? it's only another application that handles music, memory cards, xbox live etc.
it's no real os. well, there is nothing like a os on the xbox. a os runs and it doesn't matter if you play games or what. the xbox stops everything and just only runs that game you loaded.
only thing that comes near to an os is the embedded directx.

#41 betaluva

betaluva

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 12:25 AM

ATTN: scan c Windows 2000 Core OS
(Custom designed by MS)
- DirectX 8.0a (Drivers)
- Part 1 of the OS is on the hard disk < 1 MB
- Part 2 of the OS can be DVD disc < 500 K
- (Part 1 includes the core OS, DirectX, DVD playback, some drivers and 3D user interface)
- (Part 2 includes things like libraries, other drivers and other features needed by the developer)
- OS takes less then 3 MB in RAM
- The OS has a 3D user interface when no games are inserted to play music CDs, run DVD movies etc.
- The games run in ring 0, known as kernel mode which is the fastest mode possible.

Edited by betaluva, 02 April 2004 - 12:26 AM.

#42 Scan-C

Scan-C

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 02 April 2004 - 12:56 PM

and you call a core an os? for me a core is a core. like the linux kernel can't do much without additional software. i know the xbox runs a stripped down version of the windows 2000 core but that isn't an os.
the mentioned 3d user interface is the xbox dash. but if that is part of the os every dashboard out there is.
anyway, for me an os has to be able to do more than playing games. what you listed is not more than a layer between the hardware and games. no real os.

#43 oswald

oswald

X-S Genius

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Interests:kicking ass and taking names in the BST forum

Posted 02 April 2004 - 01:18 PM

I've given this alot of thought, and I'm moving this thread. When I first saw it posted, I didn't think it was relevant to this forum, but I couldn't really think of another forum it would be good for either.

After mulling it over for a bit, I've decided this topic would be better suited in the PC forum as this forum is for running Windows on the Xbox, not the other way around. The PC forum is all about your PC, and this topic is about running the 'Xbox OS' on the PC. I'm not debating the merits of the idea, I just think if we're talking about running something on the PC, it should be in the PC forum; The Windows on Xbox forum is just for, you guessed it, running Windows on the Xbox.

Topic Moved.

#44 thehittmann

thehittmann

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 03:14 PM

Get yourself a big HDD in your xbox, remove all the casing and stuff from your xbox, fix it into a PC case, get longer IDE cables and extend all others that you need to. Cut out and make a backplate for your xbox mobo connections.... You now have xbox, pc, hehehe

I guess you would have to relocate your power, eject, and controller ports as well...... It should be able to be done. I wouldnt mind seeing pictures of one, lol

Edited by thehittmann, 08 April 2004 - 03:18 PM.

#45 geniusalz

geniusalz

Team MXM

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 05:45 PM

That's been done already.

As for xbox OS on pc, I think there's too much custom hardware (MCPX included) for it to work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users