• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Steve_McFurling

Steve_McFurling

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 02:07 AM

I'm looking into getting this chip, mainly because I'm new to modding and have little experience soldering. I've noticed quite a few threads here regarding getting the contacts right and was wondering how big of a problem it is to install these things? I'd really like to hear from people who have actually installed them, hopefully someone else who was new to the game.

Also, is there any limitation to this chip, as far as features are concerned, and, because of the solderless setup, is it more likely to fry my Xbox? I'm in no position to buy a new one, if this one goes... that's it.

If it matters I believe I have a very early version Xbox, not exactly sure yet, but I bought it about 2 months after launch.

Any input would be really appreciated.

#2 childsremix

childsremix

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 03:04 AM

You shouldnt have a real problem installing it, I originally installed a matrix modchip in mine before I finally upgraded to a soldered chip. Its just a matter of patience when installing it. Another factor is having the chip get misaligned if you bump it to hard, so unless you play volleyball with your xbox this should be no problem either. There are no limitations when compared to other modchips, good luck on your first install.

#3 trevlenOO6

trevlenOO6

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 03:28 AM

it is really really easy to solder in a 2.3 regular and in my opinion worth the risk id never soldered anything in my life before and have now done three with no issues. The main advantage is after you're done soldering you're done no opening to align nothing much better.

#4 wade23454

wade23454

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 03:50 AM

I'm a noobie, have installed three 2.3 chips, and the hardest thing about the whole procedure for me was desoldering the filled in holes in the older boards. Get a solder sucker and learn a little patience. As far as the soldering goes, I have minimal experience, but all three boards I did work like a champ. My advice.....Use a small size solder wire, only add a little at a time (it's easy to add more), if you heat the header pin wires sufficiently and use a wire with flux added you will be able to tell when the solder saturates the board connections, as for the d0, "tin" the wire and tape it into place (leaving the end exposed) and, using a small flattip screwdriver, pin it in place while you add heat. Do not use too much solder on the d0 or you could arc to another point on the board. Just a tiny bit on the wire before you get it anywhere near the board and then heat it into place. After that, just tape over the d0 solder point, flip the board and install the chip. If you have any mechanical inclination whatsoever(and some patience), you should be able to install the chip with no problems. Also, download and print the install tut so that you have it right there while you install.

#5 duudfromnorway

duudfromnorway

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 18 February 2004 - 04:05 AM

if i would buy a new x2 chip to day, i`d choose pro. Beeing a Noob it`s great chance to mess up even when one follow the tut. That in case of a total mess of your chip.
The easiest part was to fit the chip and align it with the MoBo.
you could do the same with this chip as with any other, the difference is basicly in chip size(mb, size to flash) and multibios options(3 bios options or more).
and some other "small featuring" rolleyes.gif

Edited by duudfromnorway, 18 February 2004 - 04:09 AM.

#6 -ViciouS-

-ViciouS-

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 07:51 AM

The only real difference between a lite plus and any other Xecuter chip is it being solderless.

I had no problems installing my 2.3 +, and if you screw it down good enough, you really don't have to worry about it getting knocked out of place.

It can be used in any version xbox you have.

Me, I've not only never soldered before, but I had no soldering tools.

Just get it, you'll be fine.

Edited by -ViciouS-, 18 February 2004 - 07:52 AM.

#7 Damessiah

Damessiah

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 18 February 2004 - 09:47 AM

Yea you wont mess up your box, only 3 weeks ago i was in the same spot as you.

I dropped my screwdriver on my box, scraped the chip around when screwing it in, heard scratching noises as the sharp d0 connection point scraped the traces, but it works wonderfully.

You will N0T mess up your box with this chip, no solder to go wrong, its simple smile.gif

#8 Steve_McFurling

Steve_McFurling

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 06:28 PM

Ok, thanks for all the responses. Although I appreciate the encouragement regarding soldering, I think I'll go with the +, I just really can't take any chances, I'm too poor! Plus I need any other money for at least a 120GB HD.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users