15 replies to this topic

#1 ForNeverEnding

ForNeverEnding

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 02:23 AM

I was just wondering what RC4 key would be used to mod this bios. If its the released v1 then great, im sure we'll see some of the usual hacks as well as support in fanCBox, but if not...then, yeah. Im new to the scene so im not sure how bioses are actually hacked but I do understand why v1.1 were not publically hackable. Let me know.

#2 ForNeverEnding

ForNeverEnding

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 12:51 PM

Now that x-ecuter has a version out will someone know the answer?

#3 Col.Havoc

Col.Havoc

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 December 2002 - 01:08 PM

RC4 Keys are illegal, remember that.

#4 frekkle

frekkle

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 01:40 PM

the D.6 Bios cant have an RC4 key
Its not logical since the bios works on both versions
Their must be a trick to get the bios to work on both boxes

i think their is no RC4 on it so the hacks wont need an RC4 to decode them

#5 Avolo

Avolo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 04:02 PM

The D6 bios doesn't really work on both versions. The D6 is actually two differently encoded bios images, one called v2.6 for v1.0 and the other called v3.6 for v1.1.

#6 Cheerio

Cheerio

Got Milk?

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 13 December 2002 - 04:09 PM

note: mods are watching this topic, no doing anything illegal wink.gif

#7 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 13 December 2002 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE (Avolo @ Dec 13 2002, 11:02 AM)
The D6 bios doesn't really work on both versions. The D6 is actually two differently encoded bios images, one called v2.6 for v1.0 and the other called v3.6 for v1.1.

That doesn't make any sense.

D.6 is a 256k bin file. One file. Works in both machines.

#8 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 06:57 PM

FWIW, I could not find any plaintext in the D.6 file, so it must be encrypted with the RC4.

#9 frekkle

frekkle

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 07:33 PM

bin files dont have text tongue.gif

#10 Avolo

Avolo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 08:47 PM

D6 is is NOT one 256kb file and does NOT work in both xbox versions. As stated previously, it is one bios image called v2.6 for xbox v1.0 and one called v3.6 for v1.1. This is not me making up bedtime stories, read the official nfo...

By this time it should be clear to most people that the significant alteration between v1.0 and v1.1 is that the RC4 key has been changed. This means that when the bootloader decodes the bios image it uses one key for v1.0 and consequently another key for v1.1. Ergo; no bios image encrypted with the v1.0 key can work in a v1.1 box. (It has been tested; does not work)

The workings of the bootloader has been amazingly well described in a few postings so read it for yourself and draw your own conclusions.

#11 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (frekkle @ Dec 13 2002, 02:33 PM)
bin files dont have text tongue.gif

Um, ever hear of a binary viewer? Visual Studio has a search facility.

Looks encrypted to me.

#12 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (Avolo @ Dec 13 2002, 03:47 PM)
D6 is is NOT one 256kb file and does NOT work in both xbox versions. As stated previously, it is one bios image called v2.6 for xbox v1.0 and one called v3.6 for v1.1. This is not me making up bedtime stories, read the official nfo...

By this time it should be clear to most people that the significant alteration between v1.0 and v1.1 is that the RC4 key has been changed. This means that when the bootloader decodes the bios image it uses one key for v1.0 and consequently another key for v1.1. Ergo; no bios image encrypted with the v1.0 key can work in a v1.1 box. (It has been tested; does not work)

The workings of the bootloader has been amazingly well described in a few postings so read it for yourself and draw your own conclusions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
EvolutionX Team proudly presents EvolutionX Beta Build 1.8.3285, and EvoX D.6 BIOS

EVOX D.6 BIOS:
First dual BIOS ever released which supports both V1.0 and V1.1 boxes (no more confusion)
Offcourse this bios is only 256K so it can be used with your Matrix or Cheapmod solution.
All features of BIOS 2.6 / 3.6 included
D.6 with Eject Fix also included in this release.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmmm... so just what does this do for anybody, then? Hmmm?

Edited by BenJeremy, 13 December 2002 - 08:56 PM.

#13 jaysin436

jaysin436

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE (Avolo @ Dec 13 2002, 07:47 PM)

Boy talk about the blind leading the blind. First off BenJeremy is correct and you are wrong. D.6 is one bios that works on both. 2nd there is more than just RC4 codes different in the v1.0 and v1.1 Xboxes. It was amazingly well documented, but you apparently read all the wrong documents.

from Numbnut
In v1.0, there is the RC4 encryption of the bootloader code, which you know. Then a magic signature is checked in the decrypted code and if its okay it jumps to the address in the first DWORD of the unpacked bootloader.

In v1.1, the bootloader is *unencrypted*. A TEA hash of the bootloader area in the flash is performed by the code in the MCPX ROM. The resulting hash is compared to a hash stored in the MCPX ROM itself. If they match, the MCPX ROM code jumps into the flash at the start of the bootloader. If they don't match, the MCPX ROM code drops you dead.

#14 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE (jaysin436 @ Dec 13 2002, 05:16 PM)
QUOTE (Avolo @ Dec 13 2002, 07:47 PM)

Boy talk about the blind leading the blind. First off BenJeremy is correct and you are wrong. D.6 is one bios that works on both. 2nd there is more than just RC4 codes different in the v1.0 and v1.1 Xboxes. It was amazingly well documented, but you apparently read all the wrong documents.

from Numbnut
In v1.0, there is the RC4 encryption of the bootloader code, which you know. Then a magic signature is checked in the decrypted code and if its okay it jumps to the address in the first DWORD of the unpacked bootloader.

In v1.1, the bootloader is *unencrypted*. A TEA hash of the bootloader area in the flash is performed by the code in the MCPX ROM. The resulting hash is compared to a hash stored in the MCPX ROM itself. If they match, the MCPX ROM code jumps into the flash at the start of the bootloader. If they don't match, the MCPX ROM code drops you dead.

Well, it's all a bit foggy, but from what I gather, the Kernel is packed int heBIOS, and signed. The bootloader is encrypted on the 1.0 with the RC4 key and you need that to put the proper signature into the botoloader code, right?

So what is needed with the D.6 to, say, use FanCBox? Or do we need to wait for a new version that understands how to deal with the dual bootloader?

#15 ForNeverEnding

ForNeverEnding

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 11:10 PM

Didn't mean to start so much commotion but my main question is whether or not we are going to see hacks of these versions? Is it possible? (When I say hacks i mean meaningless colormods of sorts) Or are these 'features' only going to be available from the original sources?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users