CooLJoE

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 December 2002 - 08:46 AM

Only thing wrong with that instruction sheet for the LEDs is that its using a resistor size specific to the ones he used. Somewhere in here there was a post that had a link to where you could find out the correct resistor to use.

Otherwise, yes its very easy to do your own mods and is the recommended way. Personally I think something that simple should be done by each person themselves. Something more complicated like a full front panel replacement is more of a mod that I could see being sold. Gotta get your hands dirty and some point in life.

#17 Andy

Andy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Xbox<br><br>YEAHHH

Posted 12 December 2002 - 03:07 PM

HAHA laugh.gif

#18 Xevious

Xevious

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 07:14 PM

You can use any size of resistor you like, including surfact mount resistors. The resistance value for a 5V source sinking a 4.5V LED should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 100-500 Ohms, with 220 Ohms being the usual solution.

Some older blue LEDs required more voltage than standard LEDs, thus the smaller resistor value in the plans, I would assume.

#19 reaven

reaven

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 05:16 AM

http://metku.net/ind...ooppi/index_eng

YEP WAS ME, HERES THE LINK ........ cool.gif

A VERY HELPFUL SITE !!!

#20 CaliSurfer008

CaliSurfer008

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,458 posts
  • Interests:Brahm is a whore
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 13 December 2002 - 05:45 AM

I dont wanna know bout all that crap :-)...thanx for the site though...i just want peeps to look at my xbox and be like...damn ...lol...also...do u have to actually buy a new led to make the Power on color blue? I believe so...but just makin sure...

#21 reaven

reaven

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 05:48 AM

uhh.gif

#22 lil killer

lil killer

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 13 December 2002 - 05:50 AM

yes u have to buy a new LED to make it blue

#23 Xevious

Xevious

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 06:20 AM

QUOTE (reaven @ Dec 13 2002, 04:16 AM)
http://metku.net/ind...ooppi/index_eng

Yes, that is a good site. The LED section is outdated, though - most new blue LEDs are down to ~3V @ 30mA, although there are exceptions. Some of the wild ones: ETG makes a two-lead, three-chip full color spectrum LED that features an integrated microchip. Simply supply power, and it slowly cycles through the whole spectrum of colors - perfect for mood light mods! Lumileds has a line of LEDs so bright that they can be used for household spot lighting. Nichia has violet and UV LEDs, not to mention their uber-cool 5mm RGB LEDs!! Tired of your blue Xbox mod? Just dial-a-color! biggrin.gif Cost too much right now, though. sad.gif

One other note about that page - it has a section that shows two super-bright LEDs in parallel, sharing a single dropping resistor. While this can be done, it violates industry best methods/standard practices as it introduces a greater risk of single-point failures and compounds any fluctuations/flaws in the resistor used. Not a huge deal, but as a typical resistor costs only a fraction of a cent, there's no reason to link LEDs in parallel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users