• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lyte Edge

Lyte Edge

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 03:10 AM

This is something that has been happening to me for about a month now. I'm not sure of the name of the chip (I've been told it sounds like the Xecuter 2), but part of it sticks out of the front of the system right under controller port #1. It has three switches and some of the wires are visible underneath them. I've always been worried that the exposed chip might lead to some problems, and seems to have.

I bring my Xbox around with me to several places; usually during the week, it goes from my house, to work, to friends' houses, and back again. I've been using an Xbox carry case, and I think it's not safe enough for the chip, so I'm going to get rid of it.

The problem that I've been having is that after the system gets moved (after a car ride, not after you just pick it up or something), and you try to turn it on, the system just turns on and off over and over or I get the red light. This is ONLY when the chip is turned on, not off, so I know it can't be my Xbox. However, if I press the chip in a little bit or move the wires a little, it then turns on without a problem. Tonight though, I was playing some games for an hour or so, and then when I went to reset, the system cut off and started acting up again, so it seems to be getting worse. It's working fine now, but I would like to know if anyone thinks something might be loose inside the system...I'm kind of afraid to open it up as I didn't mod the system myself.

Lee

Edited by Lyte Edge, 19 February 2004 - 03:39 AM.

#2 TalinTheLost

TalinTheLost

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 19 February 2004 - 04:24 AM

um.... blink.gif

the thing that sticks out under controller port 1 is the switch for the modchip...not the modchip itself. As for moving it and it stuffing up... the person didnt install it properly. to get it removed, get someone who knows what they're doing to take it out.

#3 Soup

Soup

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 19 February 2004 - 08:50 AM

Your modchip (located inside your xbox) is loose. Take it back to the installer and tell them that it is intermittently fragging when the chip is enabled.

Better yet, spend a little time learning about the very basics of modchips so you can fix it yourself. To get you started, your d0 connection is fine, but your LPC connections are loose/shorting. The Xbox F.R.A.G.s (Flashes Red And Green) when it cannot load a valid BIOS. When you have the modchip switched on, the d0 connection becomes grounded, telling your Xbox to ignore the built-in MS BIOS and try to load a BIOS from the LPC (Low Pin Count connector), where your modchip is connected. What's probably happening to you is that one or more of your modchips connections to the LPC (there are several) sometimes don't connect, and so your Xbox can't "see" your modchip and so it can't load a BIOS and so it frags.

#4 Damessiah

Damessiah

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 19 February 2004 - 11:15 AM

You really shouldnt be afraid to open it all up and have a look, it's good to know about these things.

Firstly just follow the diagrams at taking it apart and familiarise yourself with the inside, youll see why there is the switch 'sticking out' underneath controller port 1 - its meant to be there, otherwise you couldnt turn your chip off rolleyes.gif

Also your installer may have changed your DVD drive to a thompson if you had a Samsung, so you should always check inside to see what you have before chipping and after chipping.

If you live in UK and your chip supplier is having nothing of it, send it to me with a sum of money for return postage and possibly something on top and ill see what I can do with it tongue.gif

#5 Lyte Edge

Lyte Edge

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE (Soup @ Feb 19 2004, 10:50 AM)
Your modchip (located inside your xbox) is loose. Take it back to the installer and tell them that it is intermittently fragging when the chip is enabled.

Better yet, spend a little time learning about the very basics of modchips so you can fix it yourself. To get you started, your d0 connection is fine, but your LPC connections are loose/shorting. The Xbox F.R.A.G.s (Flashes Red And Green) when it cannot load a valid BIOS. When you have the modchip switched on, the d0 connection becomes grounded, telling your Xbox to ignore the built-in MS BIOS and try to load a BIOS from the LPC (Low Pin Count connector), where your modchip is connected. What's probably happening to you is that one or more of your modchips connections to the LPC (there are several) sometimes don't connect, and so your Xbox can't "see" your modchip and so it can't load a BIOS and so it frags.

Thanks for your help, everyone. smile.gif

I am going to borrow a screwdriver from a friend of mine and try opening up the system. If it is the LPC that's loose, what is it that you have to do to reconnect it? Does it require soldering?

I didn't get the chip installed from a "professional." Another friend of mine did it for me, and I have not been able to get into contact with him for several weeks now. I don't think he did a bad job installing everything; he did it for me last August, and it's only in the last month or so that this problem started up, most likely from the system getting moved around so much.

Lee

#6 Lyte Edge

Lyte Edge

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 05:47 PM

Is this a possible reason why I've been having this problem?

I opened up my Xbox, and noticed that the left side of the metal casing, where the chip (or part of the chip?) is attached to was bent out a farther than the other sides. I simply bent it in a little bit more, closed it back up, and it started working again. I picked it up and walked around, jumped a few times, etc. Plugged it back in, and got the same problem, BUT when I pressed in a little on the side of the plastic case where that chip part is, the system again started turning on with no problems.

...Or is all this basically a confirmation that something is definitely loose and needs to be resoldered?

Lee

#7 Soup

Soup

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 19 February 2004 - 08:48 PM

Some LPC connection is loose and resoldering will be the best fix. However it might be that the solder connection is good, just the exposed wire is bending and sometimes touching another exposed wire/LPC point, and causing a short (so you may not need to resolder).

You've discovered another problem; your modchip is probably mounted too high on the side metal shielding and so it hits the DVD drive's plastic mount, pushing it outward. Try very carefully peeling it off and then re-mounting it as low as possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users