3 replies to this topic

#1 pedro

pedro

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 10:37 AM

I know that doing a hdd window on a newer drive is basically homacide ( drive will die in amatter of days if it works at all) but what if you had one of those air tight glove box things where ypu can put your hands in the gloves and mess with the stuff inside. Would this get the job done without ruining the hdd? I am sure you could build one for under a hundred dollars and if it worked and alot of people wanted it done, I could start selling windowed hdd's. Just a thought wanted to see what everyone elses take onit was?

Edited by pedro, 19 February 2004 - 10:38 AM.

#2 TeonHarasymiv

TeonHarasymiv

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 February 2004 - 10:52 AM

You could try, but it would be hard. You need some way to get the HDD in and out, and once it is appart, you need to get the lid out to cut... all the while making sure no dust gets in there.

In clean rooms, they keep the room at positive pressure (higher than the outside) so that when the doors are opend, all the air goes out, not in, which stops dust getting inside. You would need something like this, and also a very good quality filter to remove any dust that is in the air in there. The filter alone will run you more than $100.

The other problem is getting ppl to trust that it works. Will you give a warrenty or something? what if the drive breaks 2 months later?

I think it is too risky, and not worth the effort, sorry.

Best of luck to you if you try though beerchug.gif

#3 pedro

pedro

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 02:48 AM

to create the pressure you could have teh filter blowing air into the box thsu when you opened it it woujld not allow dust in...

as far as a warrenty, of course I would try this on a few old hdds I have to see if ti wored well or not.

are good filters really that expensive?
I mean I knew that would be the most expensive part but i didn t figure it would be over a hundred.

#4 P@nz3R

P@nz3R

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:XBOX/Computers
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 20 February 2004 - 03:11 AM

awfully complicated and cost worthy. this will cause your prices to rise too correct??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users