5 replies to this topic

#1 Jreb892

Jreb892

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 06:46 PM

I will bring anyone reading my rant up to speed on my progress. My xbox (V 1.0) had its TSOP flashed with X2 4981 I think, and I just soldered in the 4 extra ram chips (what a bitch!). I checked for shorts and all of that, but my xbox frags now mad.gif . Is my xbox supposted to frag with X2 4981? I thought it would boot, but not reconize the extra ram! DAMN IT! I guess I should have flashed my TSOP with tatx? before I did the upgrade.

HMMMM, how do I fix this? I have a blank SST49lf020 chip (256k of course) that I can flash with a friends xbox. Tatx (512k) will not fit on the SST chip, so I should flash the chip w/ a bios tha will not frag w/128 of ram. Whats bios is 256k and will not frag w/ the extra ram? Retail?

so, mabey I should:
1.)Check for more shorts
1.)Flash the sst chip w/ a retail bios
2.)Install the chip
3.)Use the 007hack to flash the TSOP w/ tatx

Can anyone help me out?

#2 KingViper

KingViper

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 February 2004 - 10:28 PM

Ok, for starters, your bios is perfectly fine. Any new X2 bios will detect and utilize the extra ram. If you are positive there are no shorts, check the alignment, make sure the white dot on the motherboard is next to the dot on the chip. Now, take a hobby knife or something small, and put pressure on the side of each pin. It will take time, but you are checking for pins that aren't soldered down all the way. You will probably find some, I would almost bet on it. Once you do that, and get all the pins down good, check again! Then, go slowly with a magnifying glass to see if there are any shorts due to solder splash etc. If all looks well try again. It should boot, if it frags (notice it isn't green red but instead reg orange, thats a memory problem), then you need to check everything again. You will think that it is just bad memory, but more likely just a short or loose pin. Keep trying stuff till it works, and don't skimp on checking those pins to be loose, that is probably the most overlooked problem.

Good Luck

KingViper

#3 Jreb892

Jreb892

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 03:15 AM

The soldering and alignment is fine, but I think I might have overlooked some pins. I am very happy to hear the bios is fine. I did see that the xbox turns on w/orange leds, and I was thinking about asking, but I dident think it matters. I guess it does. If the xbox starts out with orange LEDs I most likely did not nuke the mobo?

#4 KingViper

KingViper

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 03:26 AM

No, you motherboard probably isn't fried. i have done many upgrades of memory, and it just means there is something wrong somewhere. You just have to find it!

KingViper

#5 Jreb892

Jreb892

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 05:27 AM

mad.gif grr.gif !!!DAMN IT!!! grr.gif mad.gif
I was getting sick of my mobo not working so I was going to remove the ram chips and get my mobo booting again. I was doing fine untill I tried to remove the last ram chip, I removed a solder pad with it! DAMN IT! I smoothed out all of the other solder pads and cleaned them with rubbing alcohol. FRAG! FRAG! FRAG! DAMN IT, GOD DAMN IT. It looks like I need a new mobo sad.gif

King, how much do you charge for your upgraded/retail mobos?
Do you want a broken mobo, v1.0 PSU, case, daughterboard, controllers, power/av cables, etc?

Edited by Jreb892, 22 February 2004 - 05:37 AM.

#6 KingViper

KingViper

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 05:39 AM

Hey, I got upgraded xboxes right now, trade in your mobo and get $20 off. Check my sig, there is a link to my BST thread. Sorry bout the bad installation man.

Let me know what you want to do. If you want extra stuff put on those xboxes too, let me know. (Hard Drive, Different DVD Drive, note that there will be a higher price for those items)

KingViper

If you wanna trade in the whole thing, let me know complete details of everything, we might be able to work something out.

Edited by KingViper, 22 February 2004 - 05:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users