10 replies to this topic

#1 kottonmouthklown

kottonmouthklown

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 06:12 AM

I'm really new to all this, but here's my question
I'm putting the Xbox in my car, but don't really want the whole xbox unit upfront, i'd rather have it in the trunk. Is there anyway possible to extend the ide cable so i would be able to have the xbox in the trunk and the dvd drive in my dash? It would have to be like 5 feet and the longest ide cable i've seen is like 19 inches. Is there any adapters so i can add 2 ide cables together or anything, or am i just out of luck?

#2 MrEs

MrEs

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 December 2002 - 07:21 AM

The IDE/ATA standards for a IDE ribbon are 18 inches. There are some ribbons that are 24 inches and some even 36 inches but they may not work properly. The following link has some info that may help you out on IDE/ATA specifications:

http://www.pcguide.c...onfCable-c.html

Edited by MrEs, 13 December 2002 - 07:50 AM.

#3 reaven

reaven

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 10:10 AM

the IDE is not the only problem , what about the custom power conector ??? ohmy.gif

#4 kottonmouthklown

kottonmouthklown

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 03:10 PM

with the power connector couldn't i just splice the wires longer? but the ide cable would be kind of hard to do.

#5 thcmagus

thcmagus

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:17 AM

I also wondered about this and a friend of mine told me that IDE cables can only be so long before they dont transfer data correctly.. not really sure if this is true but he knows more about that kind of stuff then me.. might want to check that out

#6 HardcorePooka

HardcorePooka

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE(thcmagus @ Jan 7 2006, 02:24 AM) View Post

I also wondered about this and a friend of mine told me that IDE cables can only be so long before they dont transfer data correctly.. not really sure if this is true but he knows more about that kind of stuff then me.. might want to check that out

Your friend is correct. Most data transfer cables can only be a certain length before they start to lose data integrity.

For example:
USB max length is 5 M
Firewire max length is 4.5 M

IDE cables should be about 18" or less... after that you start to get more and more susceptible to data corruption while transfering over the cable.

And I just realised this was already posted... but I'll post it again so I feel like I've done something smart today.

#7 mindctrl

mindctrl

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:29 AM

You would not want to use a ribbon cable that long, even if somebody was stupid enough to make one. Since it is a parallel spec, IDE has 40 wires (sometimes more or less depending on the ATA type) running alongside each other, most carrying data, but some are power, ground, control channels, and some are just useless. Either way, the point is this:

If you took any sort of a physics class ever, you would learn that when an electrical current is present, no matter how small, there is a magnetic field surrounding the current. This is called an electromagnetic effect (read up on Gaussian fields on wikipedia if you wanna learn more). What you need to know is this. IDE cables are not shielded, therefore, the sensitive electrical current running through them is extremely suspect to interference. In a mobile environment such as a car, there are huge sources of interference running amok, namely the alternator, floating grounds, radio waves, etc. We call electrical interference from nearby cables "crosstalk." Crosstalk is a bitch when it comes to wiring things, to defeat it they twist the wire around each other, and if you do it a specific way, the magnetic fields cancel each other out to a degree. It's complicated. What you need to know is the electronic components used in a car are much more ruggedized then your standard computer fare, no shielding precautions are really undertaken in the construction of an automobile. Basically, you've got about the worst environment for a PC or related device.

To break this down: The longer the cable, the more susceptable to interference.
Cars = lots of interference.
IDE cables = not shielded against it.
Solution = Forget about it. It can be done, but you'll be spending more money on a ridiculous solution. My advice is to be a man and mod the box so that you can SAVE the games to the hard drive. That's the "pimpest" solution. Who likes swapping discs, anyway?

#8 MMCrew

MMCrew

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 01:12 PM

this is a project im doing myself in my custom dash,

the ide was a stumbling block for my self,

iv realised that it cant be extended so iv had to think of othjer ways to get it done, mine is still going into my car, and ill be posting pics soon once its all done,

#9 The*galloping*zebra

The*galloping*zebra

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • Interests:Lazing
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 07 January 2006 - 01:21 PM

Way to bump a 3 year old topic.

Posted Dec 13 2002, 02:17 PM

#10 Dano2k0

Dano2k0

The Cooling King

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 January 2006 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE(The*galloping*zebra @ Jan 7 2006, 12:28 PM) View Post

Way to bump a 3 year old topic.

lol, your not kidding either mate.

The only real way to go about doing this correctly though would be to buy or build an IDE channel booster, how much these things are now days, and if they are still available i really don't know. I know at one time they were though, this was to extend IDE channel so you could add devices a good distance away from the computer.

I suppose this is simillar to an ethernet network signal booster, but a good bit more complicated.

I recommend you research into this a little, it may not be very practical to do this on a car, but you'll get the idea.

#11 Corey420

Corey420

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:15 PM

You could do this. http://www.montac.co...a100/index.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users