• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 utopia_ii

utopia_ii

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 01:05 PM

I have just heard that x-ecutor is not just 1 wire to solder but the addition of 9 solder points of the chip to the motherboard place that it sits on.

e.g. the pcb sits on the motherboard over the points and you solder it direct.

I hope this is just bullshit....cause it would make it a lot harder. A clip of some sort would be better.

anyway...on july 29th we will all find out.

unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif
YoDa

#2 pixletz

pixletz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 03:21 PM

yep

#3 Dr Seuss

Dr Seuss

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 03:42 PM

yep. now we know that 1 wire isn't necessarily 2 solder points (ie one at each end).

i guess some people were deceived, but the x-ecuter were never dishonest about it. 1 solder point was just a dream, and xantium hinted several times that it would require more than one (even though he was only guessing).

#4 mvdzwaan

mvdzwaan

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 03:58 PM

Quota from the frontpage : "Every feature that can be unlocked via the bios is now complete. So no need for any flashing of your bios or updates."

I guess this makes it clear X-ecuter will not be flash upgradeable.

That's a shame, because it's quite arrogant to think you've unlocked *every* feature at this point.

The 9 point solder-on would indicate it uses the same lpc hack as PC-BioXX, which is flash upgradeable. Maybe I'm being sceptic as I had my PC-BioXX installed last week (in the Netherlands) and am desperately looking for confirmation I made the right choice smile.gif

#5 gnat_

gnat_

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 04:16 PM

Yeah, I suspect it won't be as simple as soldering one wire. Check out lik-sang's description of the X-ecuter:

Product Features
- Only 1 wire used (but 9 soldering points)
- Easy to install - 5 minutes

My guess is that it's some sort of clip that will screw into the motherboard and you'll have to solder the 9 additional points to secure/connect it. We'll wait and see. Right now I'm also leaning towards the PC-BioXX, since if the level of installation difficulty is comparable, at least I can upload new bioses when future features are discovered.

X-ecuter is being pretty arrogant by claiming they've unlocked EVERY potential feature. Who knows what Xbox online will bring.

#6 Azadar

Azadar

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 04:23 PM

You got that INFO off LIK-SANG which it total SHIT!

They dont have the info..

"its incorrect its not flexipcb at all.

Trust me even if you suck at soldering you will be able to install it."

Case closed...

Lik-SANG has posted the wrong info thats there GUESS!

#7 gnat_

gnat_

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 04:31 PM

Alright, how about info from xbox-scene.com? From this url.

1 wire , but probably still 9 connection points. It's unclear how those other 8 points will be linked. (probably with some kinda addon like for some ps2 mods)

Yeah, so they're still guessing, but unless you can show some proof otherwise, this is what we know so far.

#8 Azadar

Azadar

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 04:41 PM

Better, but still not the real deal. Pictures will be up this week proabaly thursday I hear from the Reseller. Also as for the 9 wires there is only 1 WIRE to solder. and a few contacts will need to be secured.

#9 PLUTO 3.14

PLUTO 3.14

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 04:53 PM

One wire; 9 soldering points, it does not matter cause X-Ecuter is going to be the only mod out there that can do every hack out there. The perfect mod would be the PC-Bioxx with the X-ecuter Bios or a flashable X-Ecuter. But I doubt it will be leeked. I did heard rumors that the X-Ecuter can be flash the same way that the Xbox Bios can be flash, but there just rumors.... The only thing that will probably change in the next year is the start up of XBox Live!!!
Hopefully the X-Ecuter will be able to handle.... I am sticking with X-Ecuter........ Wait ti'll all the specs come out by the end of this week... Later

#10 bearauto

bearauto

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 05:36 PM

Diagrams of installations would give us great insight into this matter.

#11 gnat_

gnat_

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 05:38 PM

Confirmed. 1 wire to solder, but 9 actual solder points. on the front page of this site!!!

user posted image

So in actuality, despite their flamboyant advertising of "ONLY ONE WIRE TO SOLDER!!!", you have to solder nine points on the PCB, and two points for the wire (one to PCB, one to mobo). Total of 11 points, same as OpenXbox. Maybe I don't get it, but I don't really see how soldering through holes on a chip is easier... Seems like you might might burn some traces on the X-ecuter itself if you're not experienced or careful.

Also, if you ever need to remove it, how would you disconnect the X-ecuter from the mobo? ...Hungry for more info.

#12 uniblab

uniblab

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 06:03 PM

i'm sure I'm misunderstanding...but this seems like a bad idea. are you supposed to touch the nine points on top with a soldering iron, and it gets soldered to the xbox mb below? seems prone to error seeing as how the pcb could move around, etc. plus, I foresee solder dripping/oozing over multiple solder points.

like I said, I probably have the whole thing wrong

#13 gnat_

gnat_

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 06:09 PM

The more I think about it, the fishier the X-ecuter seems. They advertise having all the bios features (nopatch, eject, and hdd) simultaneously, so that there's no need to upgrade the flash bios.

But then in the next breath, they rumor that there will be a hardware add-on for additional unspecified features! So basically is this how it's going to work? Solder on an X-ecuter for current features, and then solder additional hardware each time for new features?

Seems like uploading a new bios into something like OpenXbox might be an easier option for those who don't like to solder, especially since X-ecuter is no longer technically as easy as soldering just one wire... Do you agree?

#14 tuxic

tuxic

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 06:15 PM

Totally agree, Imo openxbox is a better deal as the solderpoints are very easy and it's upgradable. The design seems even more advanced than x-ecutor. A one time install and future bios updates are a snap. Don't you agree?

Tuxic

#15 LiquidCell

LiquidCell

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Interests:Hah!
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 22 July 2002 - 06:16 PM

umm, they say 1wire ITS ONE WIRE + 9solder points, who gives a fuck about 9 small solder points, im a newb @ soldering and I could probbly do that in 1minute, the wire would take 5-10seconds

and by additional stuff, they probably mean programs, or maybe an additional ting would be an easy BIOS FLASH device.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users