#1 BloodRedd

BloodRedd

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 02 March 2004 - 01:37 AM

Ok I made a dummy file from a bunch of NFSUG files, I copied that to make two .rar files equalling about 600mb, I got the newest evox build 3439(?), and used craxtion to make an ISO of it all, I burned it to a SONY CD-rw and still no luck, I keep getting the DDE, also this box has the Thompsons drive in it.....so does anyone know what to do, it works in my boys box, on the evox menu when you put the disc in it says evox something and you can launch it.....

#2 JakeDaGreat

JakeDaGreat

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 02 March 2004 - 01:43 AM

Did that cd-rw work in your thompson before?

#3 pjfan281

pjfan281

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 03:22 AM

thompson is picky with media. simple as that

#4 BloodRedd

BloodRedd

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 02 March 2004 - 10:48 PM

Damnit, can anybody recommend some working media for the thompsons drive?
and also that you specifically know works because you have them biggrin.gif

#5 blacksonic

blacksonic

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 10:51 PM

get Memorex 650mb cd-rw recomened by (lookformeb)

#6 JoePo

JoePo

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 03 March 2004 - 06:21 PM

I'm having the same problem with mine. I have the thomson drive and an xenium chip, it took me at least 2 hours until the drive finally read my bios.bin file so i could flash from cdrw. Now i'm trying to get it to boot evox from cdrw, but am having no luck. I purchased memorex cd-rws but they aren't working any better than my cheap Precision cd-rws.

I think I'm gonna have to plug in my dvdrom from my pc to make it read. That doesn't seem too hard to do, it beats burning 5 different discs and trying them each 10 times until you get lucky and the thomson finally reads it. I hate thomson drives.

#7 GameGuru1

GameGuru1

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 03 March 2004 - 06:25 PM

Maxell 650MB cd-rws do the trick for me everytime. Occasionally Verbatims will work too. smile.gif

#8 ChrisF

ChrisF

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 06:38 PM

Newbies Guide to EvoX Boot Discs and Testing Media

NOTE: This is a troubleshooting tutorial and is designed to provide basic pointers and tests to help you through the process. It is not meant to be a guide to creating a boot disc - I assume you have read that tutorial and have had an issue or want to avoid possible issues. If you haven't read that first then check the Newb Guide to Everything and the tutorials linked inside it HERE

There are a lot of variables in creating an Evox boot disc and simultaneously figuring out compatible media. I recommend using a premade boot disc that is a known proper XISO (Slayers or others). So many people have burned countless hours testing CDRW media only to realize they never properly flashed their bios or weren't creating and burning an XISO properly.

First Confirm Bios
1) Flash your bios with a bios that is visibly different than the stock MS one (either colors or use an Xecuter bios that says Xecuter in the logo on boot). If you enable your chip and still see the standard MS bios, your install is faulty. D0 point is your first spot to check since it isn't being properly grounded if you see the stock bios.

Next Burn the Image
2) Obtain Slayers or similar and burn it to a CDRW using the burn image command in Nero (do not burn a data CD with the ISO file on it - if your computer can read the burnt CD and you see a file on it you know you screwed up).

Then Test the Media
3) Have several types of media on hand (Maxell and Memorex 650MB seem to be the CDRWs that work most often in trouble drives). Burn the image at the slowest speed and try to boot the Xbox with it. Reboot up to 30 times with the disc in the drive before rejecting it. Maybe check your burn and do it again just in case. If no luck - move on to another media.

Finally - Customize for your Setup
4) Remember that you can't change the network settings on an Evox boot disc so once you find the proper media you may need to alter the evox ini file for your network/ftp, recreate the XISO, and reburn the image.

Once you get a good boot, either use the CDRW or create your own boot disc on the same media - you should always have a proper boot disc configured for your FTP or network settings on hand. It is guaranteed that if you do not have one you will certainly end up needing one (same goes for backing up C and E drives). Better to troubleshoot this ahead of time than be left trying to find media for an unbooting box.

Edited by ChrisF, 23 May 2004 - 01:03 AM.

#9 XboxModder298

XboxModder298

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 14 July 2004 - 12:27 PM

Im trying to get my xbox to read the disk i made, Every time i get the dde and a load of crap besides that. I have a thompson drive. If somebody could im me on aim at:

EvoxNewbie298

Then take me through a complete setup until it works I would LOVE IT. Thanks anybody

#10 ChrisF

ChrisF

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 04:30 PM

1) You may have made the disc wrong
2) Your drive can't read the media.

You posted on this thread so you obviously read the tutorial directly above your post.

-Have you confirmed the modchip is installed and hacked bios is booting?
-Have you tried Slayers or a known stock XISO that is properly made?
-Have you tried several types of CDRW media?

By the looks of your post you want hand holding but I get the feeling you haven't gone through the basics.

Worst case scenario - take a PC CD or DVD drive and connect it to the Xbox IDE cable with the appropriate jumper settings (I think it's CS - try a few). You will need to leave the yellow power cable in the stock Xbox drive so don't take it out. Power for the PC drive can come from the Xbox powersupply by using a Molex splitter off the hard drive's power cable or just have a PC handy and have your Xbox within reach of a power on PC and it's power supply. If this fails you are pretty sure it is not the media (a PC drive can read just about anything) and it your method of XISO creation.

#11 XboxModder298

XboxModder298

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 06:12 PM

Ok Ok,, I loaded my x2.3b lite with an xapter, so now I inserted the evox disk i made, and a screen comes up saying UPDATE FOUND... HALTING!. then it doesnt do anything. What do i do?

Thanks

#12 Crucifiedego

Crucifiedego

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 06:36 PM

Did you flash your BIOS first?

I posted a topic about this earlier....my Thomson drive reads Varbatim Data Life Plus CD-RW's just fine, and my bro's console (Thomson drive as well) read the BIOS cd and the EvoX cd....but it failed to read the Xsnes9X CD that my Thomson drive read. Really odd.

#13 XboxModder298

XboxModder298

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 06:24 AM

To get a good Bios go to this site:

X-B-O-X

then register a name, They have many bios and on many diff. plateforms.

Then to make it go here:

http://www.teamxecut...m/biosimage.htm

If you follow that exactly, then it should work, then to make your evox disk.
Make sure you get a good clean/ latest copy of a dashboard, you can get that here:

http://www.www.CNN.com/modules/news/

1. Register a name
2. Click on "Downloads" at the top
3. Click on "Xbox"
4. Click on "Dashboards".
5. Next you can choose which dashboard. Then download it, and put it on a cd using Nero. WARNING: YOU CAN GET NERO 6 FROM THERE WEBSITE FOR A 30 DAY TRIAL, BUT MAKE SURE YOU GET IT WHEN YOU NEED IT OTHERWISE YOU WILL GET SCREWED AND WILL HAVE TO DOWNLOAD IT FROM KAZAA//LIMEWIRE//BEARSHARE//EXT. Be careful too.

I dont know of any sites that teach you how to make a dashboard, with the .ini files and everything, a friend showed me and im not exactly sure how he did it, but i figured out the rest of it. hope i gave some good advice.

#14 lovejotd

lovejotd

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 06:34 PM

Hey I want to put in a new harddrive in my xbox. I don't have a mod chip I have been using a softmod instead. can you still use a boot disc with softmod or the original MS dashboard. thanks

#15 seriouslysilly

seriouslysilly

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 07 March 2005 - 06:58 PM

one of my xboxes is a 1.0 with a thompson and i use a sony dvd+R and it works

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users