12 replies to this topic

#1 jo77

jo77

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 06:25 AM

I am looking at purchasing a Pioneer DVR-I06 burner with RecordNowMax software (version 4.10 I think ) along with a spindle of Princo A-Grade blank dvd.

I have a P4 2.53ghz system running Win98se.

I dont want to go buy Windows XP as I have always been happy with win98se but I do have windows 2000 I could install if I had to ( dont want to really).

Will I be able to ftp xbox game DVD's across to my win98se system and make backup DVD's and movies from my 80gb seagate hard drive ?

It is formatted in Fat-32 and I had read somewhere that it creates a problem when burning a DVD, something to do with the file structure.

Anyone here have any experience with a similar setup and can advise me what addittional software if any that I may need to burn successfully ?

thanks
jo smile.gif

#2 themadman123

themadman123

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Interests:Film...
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 March 2004 - 06:35 AM

Dude....make the investment and go out and buy Windows 2000 Professional....you won't regret it. Most stable version on Windows. 98"se" is a piece of proverbial crap.

#3 jo77

jo77

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 07:33 AM

Thx but I am happy with win98se.

Can u answer my question tho' ?

will I still be able to burn dvd's with win98se ?

#4 pSyCo

pSyCo

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 02 March 2004 - 08:47 AM

My advice would be to check with the manufacture....

But really, have you ever used Windows 2000/XP on a system of that speed in comparison to Win98SE?

You would have speec / performance increase. Not only in system performance, but major gaming performance boost as well. Not to mention that NTFS isn't so prone to corruption as fat32, and which is also faster....

I'm just sayin, upgrading would be one of the most worth-while things you could do...

(sorry, i've never seen anyone with your specs running Win98, and there's a reason for that....)

#5 jo77

jo77

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 10:37 PM

OK dry.gif

Has ANYONE at all ever burned a DVD on a Win98se System ?

.... success .... failure .... whatever ... plz let me know.

thx
jo

#6 Dreamcazman

Dreamcazman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 03 March 2004 - 05:03 AM

Hey Jo, you can burn DVD's with Win98, it's just you can't make ISO's that are bigger than 4Gb, that is the limit of the FAT32 file system for single files.

You can fill up the whole 4.36Gb on the DVD though if you use it for general backups, like adding heaps of small files, then burning the lot.

You will have trouble if you try to make an ISO of an Xbox game thats over 4Gb. It simply won't work.

To make the most of DVD burning, you really need an OS that runs on NTFS.

#7 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 March 2004 - 05:30 AM

Yup, it is possible. It's just a pain in the arse. I originally didn't care much for XP myself but after getting into DVD Burning I will never go back. NTFS is the ONLY way to go for DVD Burning. wink.gif

#8 jo77

jo77

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 05:44 AM

Thx for the advice rolleyes.gif ,

guess I will hav to put up with win98se though as cost of upgrade to either win2000pro or XP is quite a bit beyond my means at this time.

so if i burn a backup without making an iso first I can actually make a large 4 + gig dvd , is that right ? say using nero or something ?

Is there anyway of enabling NTFS with win98se ? i am guessing not sad.gif

#9 Bogus8

Bogus8

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 06:16 AM

QUOTE (jo77 @ Mar 3 2004, 12:44 AM)
...but I do have windows 2000 I could install if I had to ( dont want to really).

You really are just being difficult aren't you? mad.gif

I run 98 myself... on a P100 w/ 24mb ram laptop! that's my "joke" machine... just web browseing on the toliet!

I would never run 98 on anything that could handle it ...as EVERYONE has said you will see benifits all around and NO draw backs!

Please just give me ONE good reason why you are still on 98 and I think everyone would leave you alone, are you Amish or something? biggrin.gif

#10 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,588 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 March 2004 - 12:00 PM

You said you had Windows 2000 install, just use that.

Then convert your drives to NTFS. You can do that without formatting or loosing any data.

So no you can't make an ISO image.

You can still burn in UDF format which the XBOX will read. Some people claim no issues, but most agree the games load much slower off of discs formatted UDF.

Windows 98se is like 7 years old. I don't think it's too much to ask that you run an OS less than 5 years old. I can't imagine there are a lot of other things you are missing out on too.

One reason to upgrade is stability:
Windows 98se crashed a lot for me (multiple times a day) on a very clean system.
Windows 2000 crashed only a few times a week.
Windows XP crashes only a few times a month.

One thing annoying about XP though is when you get a blue screen, it immediately resets so you can't read any of the info. about the blue screen. I wish it would keep the screen up until I rebooted manually. mad.gif

#11 chefelf

chefelf

Brandishing the Triforce of Modding

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Web Design, Writing, Cycling, Hardware Modification, Building Computers, Music
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 March 2004 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (jo77 @ Mar 2 2004, 07:37 PM)
OK dry.gif

Has ANYONE at all ever burned a DVD on a Win98se System ?

.... success .... failure .... whatever ... plz let me know.

thx
jo

I got a DVD burner back when they were relatively new and installed it on a Win98 machine (I was tied into using the machine at a recording studio because certain software/hardware wasn't compatible with XP yet). I had nothing but problems. I couldn't get anything to work, not matter what I tried. I'm sure a lot of advancements have been made in compatibility since then, but the fact remains that Win98 was not designed with DVD burning in mind at all.

I took that same drive and installed it on my home Win XP machine (this was probably December of 2001, shortly after XP came out) and it worked perfectly first shot, plug and play.

I'm not saying it's impossible to burn DVDs using 98 but be prepared for a lot of headaches if you are going to try to get it to work. Plus there are going to be limitations using 98's FAT32 filesystem as Mr Ed hinted at.

Personally I had nothing by problems with Win98. It's the buggiest OS I've ever used with constant problems. Since switching to XP I have had so much better luck with all the programs I use on a day to day basis.

The bottom line is that you can stick with 98 (though I wouldn't recommend that OS to my worst enemy) but it's an OLD operating system and as time goes on your problems are only going to worsen as far as DVD burning goes and as even newer technology becomes available.

Upgrade to 2000 at least (though I'd still recommend XP) and you'll be glad you did in the long run.

#12 Dreamcazman

Dreamcazman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 03 March 2004 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE (Mr Ed @ Mar 3 2004, 01:00 PM)
One thing annoying about XP though is when you get a blue screen, it immediately resets so you can't read any of the info. about the blue screen. I wish it would keep the screen up until I rebooted manually. mad.gif

I couldn't agree more. When XP crashes, it crashes hard and the majority of the time it's impossible to fix. Sometimes problems can be repaired if you have another computer with XP on it. Main problem I've had is with UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME errors. Whack the HDD in another comp, it automatically fixes the problem, then put it back in the original machine. Done.

If there is a way to fix this without another comp, then I for one would like to know how..

Anyways, that's one thing I like about Win98, it's fairly easy to rersurrect if something happens - by means of DOS.

#13 vidgms4me

vidgms4me

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 12:18 AM

QUOTE (Mr Ed @ Mar 3 2004, 08:00 AM)

If you right click on My Computer, select Properties, click advanced, then go into startup and recovery settings, you can uncheck "Automatically Restart". Not sure if it will keep the screen up or just power down, but I'm guessing the former, and won't crash my system to find out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users