5 replies to this topic

#1 Nathias

Nathias

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 03:11 AM

Hey All,

I can't really find any conclusive advice on what mod chip I should get. People that post in the specific modchip forums seem biased to whatever they bought. If possible, I would like a solderless mod chip, but if I can't get one with the features I need, I will break out the solder gun.

Some of the things I am looking to do include:
-running NES/SNES emulators (not sure if this is mod chip specific or this is revolves around the software I load)
-I would like to run an LCD panel somewhere on the xbox to display information about the system
-loading the bios without opening the xbox (so booting from a CD to load the bios)

I think thats it for now...but as I read..I keep coming up with more ideas. smile.gif

Thanks in advance for the help
Nathias

#2 Klatu

Klatu

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 04 March 2004 - 03:13 AM

get one for a playstation 2 so you can play ps2 games on your xbox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~~!!~!!1~!!!!

rolleyes.gif

#3 ChrisF

ChrisF

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 03:23 AM

You need to read more - specifically the faq that asks for people not to post this question.

FYI -
All a modchip does is hold a bios - it is that simple.
The bios allows you to run unsigned code (programs made for Xbox but not licensed by MS)
Any modchip can run emulators
The bios is on the modchip not on any media - you only need to open the Xbox in order to install a chip

As far as the LCD stuff goes - you will need to find a modchip that specifically offers this functionality (judging from your post there is no way you are going to fabricate one from scratch). So that narrows you down fairly quickly. I'm not up on the latest chips but I'm unsure if any of the current ones offer LCD. I know there are one or two coming out but I'm not positive they've been released. Best place to look is on the www.xbox-scene.com mainpage and click the 'Modchip' link in the menubar.

#4 Klatu

Klatu

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 04 March 2004 - 03:26 AM

QUOTE (ChrisF @ Mar 3 2004, 10:23 PM)
As far as the LCD stuff goes - you will need to find a modchip that specifically offers this functionality (judging from your post there is no way you are going to fabricate one from scratch). So that narrows you down fairly quickly. I'm not up on the latest chips but I'm unsure if any of the current ones offer LCD. I know there are one or two coming out but I'm not positive they've been released. Best place to look is on the www.xbox-scene.com mainpage and click the 'Modchip' link in the menubar.

#5 fancy_flying

fancy_flying

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 03:37 AM

As cool as that LCD screen will be odds are you'd just be wasting your money (At least at this point in its development).

I recommend:
1) You look at the lovely colour coded chart in the FAQ section
2) You use an Xecuter chip (i swear by them - and sometimes at them.. haha)
3) Get someone to install a soldered one for you!

#6 thomes08

thomes08

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts
  • Interests:XBOX! HOCKEY! POT AND SHROOMS! BEER!

Posted 04 March 2004 - 03:42 AM

yeah man solder the damn thing on there. Modding isn't for noobs and if you can' solder you shouldn't mod. Seriously it's much better that way. I'm not sure about all these new chips. te new smartxx has a screen you can buy but i don't thin kis solderless. I've only used xecuter and they were the shit then. Now io think there are a lot more good chips. SO i dunno shich to get
good luck thought
thomes08

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users