12 replies to this topic

#1 slo

slo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 04 March 2004 - 09:10 PM

After spending this evening lurking in various forums, googling a lot and so on, i found out that
1. The difference between -T and -Q was that the -T drive is flashable with MTKFlash and that is the reason why the xbox original bios is able to be flashed on it.
2. If one flash the -Q drive with an special firmware, then it seems possible to flash it with the MTKFlash utillity.

But now i need your knowledge and so on, is that the only difference, because if so, i can pick up cheap-ass -Q drives, flash them and then sell them for much more than i bought them for. biggrin.gif

Seriously, that would be a real nice piece of research, eh? beerchug.gif

Edit: Here is the link where i found out there was people who have used MTKFlash for the SD-616Q drive.

Edited by slo, 04 March 2004 - 09:15 PM.

#2 slo

slo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 04:19 AM

*Bump*

Doesnt anyone here know...?

#3 Lugnut

Lugnut

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 06:58 AM

The chips on the Q drive are different than what is on a 616T or F, so that means incompatible firmware.

#4 slo

slo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 07:11 AM

Ok... But then, if some real smart dude makes it possile to flash the Q drive with some kind of hacked 605-firmware, then it should be possible, eh?

Then I have to find some smart-ass hacker d00d that can fix that for us tongue.gif

#5 Lugnut

Lugnut

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 07:55 AM

ok but we are still waiting for someone to hack the firmware so that we dont have to rotate the eject motor on the 616T!!! smile.gif

#6 slo

slo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 07:59 AM

Heh, okay. But i rather see that someone fix the fw to the 616Q, because it is cheaper and easier to get a hold on smile.gif

We'll see, I'm going to ask the fellows over at rpc1, they might be able to help... wink.gif

Edit: spelling... early morning sleeping.gif

Edited by slo, 05 March 2004 - 08:05 AM.

#7 bleugh

bleugh

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts
  • Interests:tinkering..........and flogging stuff on ebay<br>
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 05 March 2004 - 11:22 AM

............and what the heck are the people at the region patching site going to know about putting firmware from the xbox drive into another?.

nice one for using some initiative, however, i'd suggest not giving up the day job......

#8 The iNSOMNIAc

The iNSOMNIAc

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 01:52 PM

Both drives f and t revisions along with the q revision use the mediatec chipset. i know this as i have both t and q sitting here infront of me.

mtkflash should let you put the firmware on, the only problem you have with the q revision is there is no drive ready signal for the xbox.. it has 2 seperate signals now, one for cd ready and one for dvd ready and both these signals are inverted so the xbox still would not know what to do with the signal.

after reading a while someone posted a link on the forum about a q drive using a 4 port nand gate to combine both dvd and cd ready signals into one and invert the signal for the xbox but still only reads backups.

what we need to do is build the small circuit and wire the drive up and then try to flash the 605 firmware and reverse the drawer motor and find out what happens.

i am halfway there but need the 4 port nand gate before i can go any further with the test.

#9 slo

slo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (bleugh @ Mar 5 2004, 02:22 PM)
............and what the heck are the people at the region patching site going to know about putting firmware from the xbox drive into another?.

nice one for using some initiative, however, i'd suggest not giving up the day job......

I was just thinking that they know very well how the firmware is build up, and may come up with an solution.

The iNSOMNIAc: do you have that link anywhere? Because it would surely be interesting reading... smile.gif

I dont have the skills to come up with an solution, but I need a new dvd and I'm ready to go as far as possible, except that I dont have any cash right now, and not for the comming 2 months either dry.gif

#10 Pizza Pizz

Pizza Pizz

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 04:58 PM

They would have to be clever indeed but not completely impossible.....

for a start the following:

616Q & the newer replacement to this the 616E's both have different firmware to each other
(Q models usually have volume & audio plug at front - E's have not got them and a slightly squarer corner to the usual round edge tray front bezels on the usual Q models - yes there are few tray front optuions but most Q's come with the round edge tray fronts - well ones that I have seen in oem & retail boxes)

anyway these Q & E's have 4 flashbanks

the T & F's only have 2 banks

so it is a matter of some guru to find what bit of code allows xbricks to read originals and hopefully pop that bit of code into the Q and/or E firmware

don't flash a Q with E firmware or vice versa - they are different

why are peeps still going on about Nand gates ?

we shall wait n see if someone can make comparisons between the standard 616T & 605b firmwares - maybe then it will point to what code/routine allows the dvd to effectively "jump" the first bit of data on a xbox original and continue to read the other session/track that has the game data on.

There is some stupid routine the xbox is looking for and will use that other machines like PC's cant or won't use, hence why even a fully modded 616t won't read originals straight into a pc rather than need the usual ftp xbox-pc methods

dunno if they can hack/find the routine but if/when they do the price of xbox 605b's will level out a bit more

ah well we can dream

#11 The iNSOMNIAc

The iNSOMNIAc

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 07:16 PM

as Pizza Pizz says there is no way to get 128k firmware into a 256k flash and make it work. i doubt doubling up the bin to 256 would work like some of the older nokia fones with the wrong flashrom as the drive would be more specific and prob trash the whole board.

Here ya go Slo

The link was on this board..
http://forums.xbox-s...t=78636&hl=616q
and more info at:
http://home.wxs.nl/~andras/p-xbox2.htm

the best the Q and E revisions can hope for will be working replacement but no originals unless some firmware guru can come up with a total solution.

#12 slo

slo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 03:18 PM

Thanks The iNSOMNIAc.

But I've been thinking some now, it is getting frustrating to have an xbox here that i cant do a shit with, almost dry.gif

So, after spending another evening reading, is there possibly to insert any pc-dvd in the xbox, as long as I don't care about reading originals?

If I'm right in that one, it would be nice if someone could give me an tutorial to a cheap drive... smile.gif

Thanks for engaging in my thread... love.gif

#13 The iNSOMNIAc

The iNSOMNIAc

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 04:07 PM

thats what the links are for i supplied. they use standard pc dvdrom drives but you do not get to use original disks.

you need to have the xbox chipped so you can use the alternate dvd replacement.

i have the 616q in my pc tower case with 2 wires from the drive (tray in & Tray out) connected to the xbox board and it works quite happy. after a few seconds of having no disks evox does tell me the drive status of unknown but i don`t need to know and don`t care what the drives is doing..

the nand gate stuff is only needed if you want the xbox to report the correct drive status. if u don`t care just wire up trayin & tray out... have a look through some of the 616t tutorials on xbox-scene for the info about what pin is what in the yellow dvd wire loom

Edited by The iNSOMNIAc, 06 March 2004 - 04:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users