2 replies to this topic

#1 schlacht

schlacht

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 08:46 PM

I have been working on this for some time now, with VERY inconsistent results. The game that has been the most consistent in Project Gotham Racing. It ALWAYS crashes or goes to "dirty disk" message in the intro movie.

I have tried two different HDDs so far, two sets of cables, and a few different copies of my C: back up. Drive performance sometimes causes intro movies framerate to drop, and EvoX is super-slow to boot at times. Then at other times, after a reboot it starts right up. I am wondering if it could be file info in X: Y: or Z:? Can that be safely deleted manually? I understand that it is just swap.

Thanks for any tips amigos! beerchug.gif

#2 Al_Ghazi

Al_Ghazi

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 09:49 PM

did you install games on e: ??

#3 schlacht

schlacht

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 08:43 PM

No games on E: trying to keep that free for obvious reasons. I dropped a game on E: on my original locked Seagate, but I have plenty of space after getting the HDD Bay for swapping. I guess it's really all about what files are important for the system to run efficiently. I don't care about saved games, game prefs, or anything but game funtionality right now. I'll mess with other stuff later.

So, are X: Y: or Z: swap spaces ok to clear out? How about the files on E: that look like temp files? If I had some corruption there, maybe a dump and restart could fix it? Before I hose my system though I thought I might get some advice for/against.

From what I can tell there is constant HDD activity even when watching a DVD. I just fired up MIBII last night (glad I didnt pay to see in theater) and it managed to make it all the way through without crashing, but it did "freeze" twice to resync the audio track. The entire time the HDD activity light was on too. Should the HDD to constantly accessed for a DVD? Played an hour or so of Halo also, no problems this time. I didn't bother with problem games like ProjectGotham or MechAssault.

Sorry about the rant, just being thorough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users