4 replies to this topic

#1 PoopyMcPoopster

PoopyMcPoopster

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 09:59 PM

I've checked the tutorials and it seems pretty easy. I would get the pinhead solder instead of the wire solder. But, I have shaky hands when it comes to precise procedures. Don't think that they shake like 2 inches (more like a millimeter), but the pinhead soldering seems like it may be too exact.

Should I fork over the money for a solderless chip or trust my hands?

#2 BAP1130

BAP1130

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 March 2004 - 10:03 PM

It all depends...if you plan on moving your xbox at all, you should prolly go with the solder chip...ive seen a lot of posts on people who have had to re-align a solderless chip every month, some of whom never even moved their xbox...however, i hear ya with the shaky hands rotfl.gif so if your unsure if u can solder, check this out...its prolly the best way to find out if u can and its easy to understand...soldering is easy if u learn the right way smile.gif

Graymark solder practice kit

#3 muggs

muggs

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 05 March 2004 - 10:05 PM

You could rest your wrists on the mobo and that would steady them more. Try practicing on some old electronic board first.

muggs

#4 PoopyMcPoopster

PoopyMcPoopster

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 10:29 PM

Well, I already have a solder kit and I don't want the extra work after a chip goes out of place, so I guess I'll get a chip that you have to solder.

Sorry, one more question: my soldering pen seems thin, but how fine should it be to solder a chip?

Thanks for answering my first question.

#5 muggs

muggs

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 05 March 2004 - 10:42 PM

It should be pretty small. I just have a $10 radio shack one that has a small tip that works though I would like it to be a little smaller. Just go to radio shack or a hardware store or whatever and ask for one tell them you need it for circuit board soldering.

muggs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users