Photo

Permanent Age Poll! How Old Are You?

• Please log in to reply
908 replies to this topic

Poll: So.. the question is.. how old are you?

So.. the question is.. how old are you?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Gackt

Gackt

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 11:40 AM

Hey Dkoikadabra, I thought that was our little secret...

#17 cykiller

cykiller

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 07 November 2002 - 11:54 AM

wth is that - Dkoikadabra??

muhaha.gif

#18 socrates

socrates

X-S Knowledgebase

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 03:44 PM

Im 27 years young........that young part just makes me feel like im still hip and INTO it. wink.gif

#19 Al_Ghazi

Al_Ghazi

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 03:48 PM

Just call me Grandpa. i can remember when the first IBM PC came out. Wait - i can remember when we got an Apple in my High School Library.

The days before Cisco. When all MS had was a word processor....

I can remember watching the Vietnam War on TV (waiting for Scooby Doo to come on I must admit)...

** sigh **

I feel 18 though!!!

G

#20 ferrell

ferrell

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 04:38 PM

Well let's see...

Back in my day, if you wanted to play a video game, you'd have to spend hours and hours and hours typing it out from the back of a magazine!

#21 Al_Ghazi

Al_Ghazi

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 04:43 PM

Well then - you must remember Avaoln Hill games!! Remember Squad-Leader? On the hexagon boards and the little cardboard tanks and the 300 rules you had to process (and random values obtained by throwing dice 10 0r 12 times) and keep track of every move?

Ahhh.... THAT was entertainment!!!

#22 Al_Ghazi

Al_Ghazi

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 04:45 PM

And I have to admit... I STILL watch Scooby Doo. How does Thelma do it? They always get the guy the guy!!! I never figure out who it is either....

"if it weren't for you damn kids.... the gold/diamond/whatever would be mine by now!!!!!

#23 bagel5009

bagel5009

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts
  • Interests:BANNED

Posted 07 November 2002 - 04:47 PM

laugh.gif

#24 tonyf

tonyf

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 05:31 PM

I was around before Pong. My school's computer dept. was a few typewriters, and if you were good, they let you work on an electric one. Cable tv just started and we could get all 13 channels, if it wasn't to windy outside. biggrin.gif

#25 Ace25

Ace25

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts
  • Interests:Modding anything I can...
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 07 November 2002 - 06:01 PM

Man, when the first PC was out, I was already well into copying games via cassette drive on my Atari 400. I remember going to copy parties where we had stacks of dual cassette players and spent hours swapping games on cassettes. Anyone remember Compute Magazine? Lots of hours of programming from those mags, just to make a simple frogger game. All those damn data statements!!!

10 Welcome to my data hell, goto 20
20 data 10,22,61,35,52,73,63,72,1,73,72

and on and on with those data statements, and one wrong # and the program didn't work.. that was hell if you had a typo in one of the data lines. I even modded my Atari 400 though, upgraded from 4K of memory to 48K and built an external keyboard with real keys, not those flat ones. You could actually use the keyboard on your lap. smile.gif Made out of wood and plexiglass. Had a power switch on it also. Those were the days... biggrin.gif

#26 dignick

dignick

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 06:11 PM

I thought u were that age bagel
I am 13 going on 14 and how old are u really GTac01?

#27 s_lipowitz

s_lipowitz

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE (Ace25 @ Nov 7 2002, 10:01 AM)
Man, when the first PC was out, I was already well into copying games via cassette drive on my Atari 400. I remember going to copy parties where we had stacks of dual cassette players and spent hours swapping games on cassettes. Anyone remember Compute Magazine? Lots of hours of programming from those mags, just to make a simple frogger game. All those damn data statements!!!

Ahhh yes.. Compute magazine. I remember spending hours typing out the programs for my VIC-20 computer, if anyone remembers that! In fact, I think I still have a whole bunch in storage.

Then there was the joy of printing them out on a NOISY dot matrix printer. Had to close the door to the room and go downstairs just to get away from the sound of it. SCRREEEEEEECHHHHHH ... SCRREEEEEECCCCCHH.

BUt then again, that was also the days of the Atari 2600, with its ONE-BUTTON joystick, a couple of paddles, and a button pad with tons of buttons for one game (can't remember at the moment).

PS. Scooby Doo rocks! I still watch it on Cartoon Network, though I don't care for the "scooby doo gang" version with the little kids biggrin.gif

#28 Al_Ghazi

Al_Ghazi

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 06:59 PM

yeah - I am amazed when I see my daughter watching Scooby on Nick Jr. Makes me want to cry...

I used to have a 1-button joystick.

I am going to start another post - "What was the first computer game you ever played?"

look for it in General...

Ghazi

#29 s_lipowitz

s_lipowitz

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE (Al_Ghazi @ Nov 7 2002, 10:59 AM)
yeah - I am amazed when I see my daughter watching Scooby on Nick Jr. Makes me want to cry...

I used to have a 1-button joystick.

I am going to start another post - "What was the first computer game you ever played?"

look for it in General...

Ghazi

Ugh.. that one's going to make me think. I can remember on what SYSTEM the first game I ever played was one, but not the name of it.

Hmmmm...

#30 Al_Ghazi

Al_Ghazi

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 07:02 PM

What was the first COMPUTER game you ever played.

For me it was that bi-plane "pong" type game that was 2-player at the arcade. You flew around a 1D screen and could have a single shot in the air at any one time, but had to wait until it left the screen to "fire" again....

I guess the first REAL computer game I played was that text-based Cave Adventure compiled on COBOL.

G.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users