• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Heh.. XLink
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 March 2004 - 11:57 AM

Hi all,

Few things here. Firstly, Kai 7 will be the public release - and should be essentially final. Just about everything which people have been asking for has now been implemented - and I'm getting set up for a solid period of testing - especially with the voice stuff - especially across platforms (win32 <--> xbox) etc.

Now, heres another thing. Sony have dropped the iLink port from the new PSX, and future PS2 hardware builds. "GUH?" you say?. Thats gonna prevent it from playing syslink games - right? Well, not quite. A couple of games (timesplitters 2 and midnight club 2) - already support syslink without iLink - by using the network adapter biggrin.gif ..

Hmmm.... flat235 smells Ethernet biggrin.gif ... let's go wink.gif

Thats right folks - Kai 7 will support the Playstation 2.. initial investigation indicates that the PS2 tunnels well - as the netcode is just copied from the online modules of the respective games.

We added the (stolen?? tongue.gif) GCN code to Kai in a matter of days, and that was a more difficult task than this. We can also recycle the built-in-mini-DHCP server which we use on the GCN's to assign the PS2' LAN addresses - so it should all be good..

Shortly, I will be posting instruction for joining a planned PS2 beta crew - it will be a tight unit of users from both PAL and NTSC areas, who will need *good* knowledge of stuff like ethereal.. more soon on that.

As concerns the client itself, I've completed the SpeeX (www.speex.org) integration at my end using a narrowband, VAD setup - and im gonna hook it up with TJ's ava client very soon.. Then theres not a lot left to do, apart from trialing the new orbital software, and, of course, giving dfunked the time he needs to complete the new website layouts.

Thanks to everyone who has supported XLink for, what will be, on the 13th march, 1 year exactly since the first xbox data was tunnelled over the xlink network. We have built, in my opinion, one of the most diverse and interesting gaming communities around - and the credit for that must go to you guys, the users. As we begin to open up Kai fully to users of the GCN and PS2, I hope and expect that the things which have made the XLink community so strong in the past will continue through this transitional period.

Again, thanks for your continued support..

TD & The XLink Kai Crew

Edited by jz28, 10 March 2004 - 01:01 PM.

#2 XBoxgeek

XBoxgeek

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 March 2004 - 02:50 PM

This sounds great TD, can's wait beerchug.gif

#3 n_i_x

n_i_x

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 03:34 PM

Now if we can only figure out how to get games working across platforms!!!!!

THAT WOULD BE SICK!!!!

#4 ricflairandy

ricflairandy

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 04:25 PM

what would be sweet is being able to just play a 2 player game (non online) online. so i could kick ass with we7.

#5 muerte

muerte

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 06 March 2004 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (ricflairandy @ Mar 6 2004, 12:25 PM)
what would be sweet is being able to just play a 2 player game (non online) online. so i could kick ass with we7.

sorry... thats impossible

#6 No Mess

No Mess

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 04:36 PM

And once Kai 7 is finalized, you guys will begin to port it to Mac OSX and Linux, and other operating systems?

#7 muerte

muerte

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 04:41 PM

yep

#8 No Mess

No Mess

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 04:43 PM

awesome!, can't wait for the word.

#9 j4ever

j4ever

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 12:23 AM

will it work with bo-xlink? bo-xlink is byfar the best alternative to xbox live. it stops the need to run back and forth between computer and xbox. please add support for it and if not, create a new app for the xbox so that we dont have to run between computer and xbox. (the goal is to make gaming online easier and more accessable and not harder and more complicated!!!!!!!!!!!!)

#10 recondite

recondite

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 01:30 AM

j4ever -

No Bo-XLink support. Remote control of XLink RC3 via Xbox is being integrated into Avalaunch dashboard though and is supposed to be better than Bo-XLink.

#11 dfunked

dfunked

XLink Crew Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 March 2004 - 04:12 AM

will it work with bo-xlink? bo-xlink is byfar the best alternative to xbox live. it stops the need to run back and forth between computer and xbox. please add support for it and if not, create a new app for the xbox so that we dont have to run between computer and xbox. (the goal is to make gaming online easier and more accessable and not harder and more complicated!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I get a little touchy when I read things like that. This whole thing is FREE. Every homebrew application you download, is FREE.

People have LIVES. That means, wife, kids, job etc. They don't spend 24 / 7 coding new things for everyone to play with. Bo-XLink, it takes time, and effort, and skill, and the brains to do it.

TD decided this time around to stop focusing on Bo-XLink, as XBox homebrew development isn't his forte (but still, damn good effort on Bo-XLink RC2). The most frequently updated software on the XBox scene is the dashboard. It's also the most widely used. I don't know of many people who mod their XBox and just leave it with the current MS dashboard, running emulators and games from DVDs etc.

So that's why the decision was made to see who'd be interested in taking over hte production of a "Bo-XLink" clone. Naturally, the good guys at Team Avalaunch put their hands up, and they will most likely be the first to release the in-built support for XLink Kai in their dashboard (don't ask me when!). It's almost there, and I would highly encourage people to try it out when it's released, and help them weed out the bugs.

But that's not all. I'm not so sure I'm allowed to say this, but we've now gotten XBMC, UnleashX and MediaXMenu all beginning to build Kai functionality into their dashboards. As for Evox, well, they seem to have disappeared from the face of the planet (all respect to them for revolutionizing the XBox though).

You may or may not see a standalone Bo-XLink clone made by one of these teams, or maybe by some other experienced coder who we respect and know, but not by TD or Team XLink.

So please, realise that the world doesn't revolve around yourself and that there are constraints. If you do use Evox, well you can still install these dashes and use Kai from there, but I think after a while you'll get sick of that and make a switch over to an alternative...

#12 Speen05

Speen05

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 10:39 PM

When using road runner be advised with sys link games. The xbox is having problems sending and receiving packets with the newer toshiba modems. The toshiba pcx 2200 or a motorola surfboard is your best bet. This problem affects mostly voice and not being able to connect to sys link games. This will remain a problem until MS sends out a patch or just get a better modem. I had the pcx 2600 which sucked! I know have the surfboard 4200 and I'm going to try it out later. So if you have any of these problems contact your isp and see if they can get you an older modem.

#13 Gamed Xbox

Gamed Xbox

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 11:37 PM

gosh this is gonna be awesome i can't wait....speaking of which do yall have an idea when it might be out?

#14 Kyro

Kyro

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 12:53 AM

on the anniversary day ? wink.gif

#15 LeoSoft

LeoSoft

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 12:06 PM

it had gone to end kay, today it is 13 March and I do not see download pop.gif

XLINK IS A VERY IMPORTANT PROGRAM FOR MY LIFE.

Italiani fatevi avanti, installate xlink, dobbiamo sempre essere di pił.

Grazie ai creatori di xlink. jester.gif

Edited by LeoSoft, 13 March 2004 - 12:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users