Photo

Networking your Xbox (the best guide so far...)

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#31 robertgdean86

robertgdean86

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 October 2003 - 07:27 PM

Thanks for your reply biggrin.gif , Im glad to hear the solution should be easy! Im getting fustrated with it as I no its something and nothing! I've had the cable checked so its not that and "Skip if no link" is set to no. I m not sure how to check if Network = no to see if the problem is to do with Evo... uhh.gif How would I go by solving the pc probs side of things if it was that, where would I start?? I actually bought a new nic card and tryed that, exactly the same thing happened sad.gif

#32 MistaBalls

MistaBalls

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 08:44 PM

7MB per sec!!! I love this board. biggrin.gif

Laaaaaaaates.

#33 mrRobinson

mrRobinson

X-S Caffeinated Member

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts
  • Interests:Quantum Loop Theory
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 November 2003 - 11:21 PM

Sometime within the next week I'll update the troubleshooting section more with things to go over and verify if you are having problems. I've been trying to keep tabs on all ftp issues posted and their resolutions (besides stupid human error) and they'll make it in my guide to help others hopefully. Once again, if you have any suggestions please post 'em.

#34 shredhead69

shredhead69

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 04:24 AM

THANK YOU X-S Freak! That tutorial was awesome. Thank you for adding the troubleshooting details. I had been hung up on an incorrect subnet and didn't know how to handle it (linksys wireless routers assign 192.168.1.x instead of 192.168.0.x). As for one guy having the problem of not having a video out cable attached, it is vital. You'll notice the on light flashes orange instead of solid green. I had that problem too because my TV is in another room and I brought the XBOX in for a trial without the bridge using cables to connect. You don't have to have the TV connected, but you do have to have the cables connected.

I know other people have done it, but no one specifically tells you what to do and what equipment. So for the record, I networked my PC to my 802.11b Linksys wireless router (via cat5 cable, of course) and then used the Linksys wireless bridge (802.11b also) and attached the XBOX to the bridge. I used the directions provided with the bridge for configuration of the bridge. Then, I connected the XBOX to my router via cable using your directions to make sure everything was set up properly before trying it on the wireless network. I have an internet connection using DHCP, but assigned a static IP for the XBOX per X-S Freaks directions. Once I got it working via cables, you must unplug the xbox and restart the PC. Then plug in the bridge and make sure you see two green lights. When you plug in the xbox and turn it on, you should then see three green lights. If not, check your bridge configuration or possibly you have bad reception. I was really surprised at how moving my bridge two feet made all the difference. Originally, I got it working and thought it was great, but it was sometimes working and sometimes not. I couldn't figure it out. It was simply bad reception. Now I get fast transfers and works 100% of the time. I think big TV's can screw with the reception, so try moving a few more feet away from the TV.

#35 mrRobinson

mrRobinson

X-S Caffeinated Member

• Head Moderators
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 02:12 PM

Cool man glad it helped. Maybe i'll add some things about wireless, options you have and troubleshooting, seems to be something people want more and more.

#36 Testament69

Testament69

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 01:30 AM

What is a NIC or where do I find it or its settings on my PC?

#37 bapski

bapski

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 02:46 AM

i have tried to follow the tutorial to the letter but how come i cant connect? am sure am using a cross-over cable, i bought another one from bestbuy just to be sure... i cant ping the xbox, and i get either a connection failed error or connection denied something....

wonder what is wrong...

#38 mrRobinson

mrRobinson

X-S Caffeinated Member

• Head Moderators
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 12:27 PM

you have any firewalls running? if you can't ping don't bother even trying to connect with ftp. You might want to start your own thread and post all your details so more people will chime in and help.

#39 dinokathy

dinokathy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 December 2003 - 07:48 PM

Very nicely done mrRobinson. I know a thing or two about computers and was having a time with my ftp program wsFTP. It wouldnt copy over the subdirectories properly. I got FlashFXP and that was it. Solved my problems. Thanks for the tut.

#40 mrRobinson

mrRobinson

X-S Caffeinated Member

• Head Moderators
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 09:47 PM

**Guide UPDATED**

• Added other ways to connect section
  • Added wireless details
  • Added some configuration examples for MXM
  • Minor updates throughout

As always the latest version is maintained in .pdf format hosted at chefelf's site which is linked to in the guide.
Please let me know of any errors/corrections or any additions you can think of.

#41 Cenron

Cenron

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 06:10 AM

sad.gif I tried config 2 and I get this "The route addition failed: The parameter is incorrect."

I put this..

route p add 192.168.0.3 mask 255.255.255.255 192.168.0.2 METRIC 1 IF 3

cause I want to use "0x3 ...00 40 05 04 01 e2 ...... Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC - P" So I changed IF to 3.

#42 mrRobinson

mrRobinson

X-S Caffeinated Member

• Head Moderators
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 06:00 PM

Well that's right, you can try to leave off the metric 1 part cause it isn't needed.
but chances are you probably don't need to add a static route, you could just change the subnet. I should update that section to be a little more clear.

paste the output of an ipconfig /all in here and we'll see what you have going on... I assume you have one nic out to the internet and one with a crossover to your xbox?
Also you could make your own thread so more people would read it and respond.

#43 rumba

rumba

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 02:59 AM

I struggled for weeks trying to get my pc to hook up with xbox and it wasn't until I came across this forum and more specifically this post that I finally got it working! Thanks - excellent work

#44 digital021

digital021

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 02:42 AM

First off thnx goes out to mrRobinson for such a great tutorial love.gif

Ok now to my questions and rants muhaha.gif

Question: I followed step 2 in the tutorial since I have 2 nics in my pc, one going to my xbox and the second going the router that inturn connects to my cable modem. I'm able to connect to my xbox via ftp but I also want the xbox to have access to live. So I enabled ICS to my nic card thats going to my router but in doing so this results in not being able to thru ftp to xbox and I still cant go on live sad.gif

Rant: I think you also should in the turtorial a link or method to disable media sense in the pc. It's pretty annoying to have a disconnet icon when the xbox isnt on.

thnx

#45 mrRobinson

mrRobinson

X-S Caffeinated Member

• Head Moderators
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 02:16 PM

Once you enabled ICS you can set static ip = no in your evox.ini. Did you do that?

As far as disabling the card, you can just right click on it and select disable if you are using windows xp. Some people won't find it annoying though and don't mind seeing the disconnect icon in their taskbar. Plus I'd have to tell people how to disable it in windows xp, 2000, ME, 98, etc. and then I'd have to tell them how to enable it again if they wanted to use that nic...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users